Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One stat that really stands out is his TOI. He leads the league with just under 26 minutes a game. That’s an extreme number in Sweden where teams always run 7 defenseman. The league leader last year played 23 minutes a game.
In London he played insane minutes. I think that is part of why he seems not to be as "urgent" as some might wish.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
He was on the ice for 4 out of the 6 goals that Södertälje scored today.
Not great, but not surprising considering he's playing nearly half the game.

Happy to see he is getting huge minutes though, in a league that is clearly below his skill level. Hope he gets bumped up to the SHL soon.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Happy to see he is getting huge minutes though, in a league that is clearly below his skill level. Hope he gets bumped up to the SHL soon.

The team he plays for (Södertälje) is the team that scored the six goals, so he was on the ice for 4 of 6 goals scored for his team.

I'm not so sure he can get called up to the SHL.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

He was on for 4 of the goals that his team scored, not the other way around. That's a positive thing.

And he's playing in the Allsvenskan so that he can come back to NA when the season starts up again. He's definitely good enough to play in the SHL, it's so that he can join the Oilers when the time comes.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
The team he plays for (Södertälje) is the team that scored the six goals, so he was on the ice for 4 of 6 goals scored for his team.

I'm not so sure he can get called up to the SHL.
Oops! Misread. Yea, good job on his part.

Is it not possible? Kind of sad that we have Broberg top pairing playing similarly big minutes in the SHL while Bouchard is in the tier below. Hope it's possible to work something out.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Oops! Misread. Yea, good job on his part.

Is it not possible? Kind of sad that we have Broberg top pairing playing similarly big minutes in the SHL while Bouchard is in the tier below. Hope it's possible to work something out.

Broberg is staying the entire year in the SHL which is why he gets to play there. Bouchard is bolting as soon as the NHL/AHL start back up, which is why he could only sign with the Allsvenskan hockey league. Not really a big deal.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Broberg is staying the entire year in the SHL which is why he gets to play there. Bouchard is bolting as soon as the NHL/AHL start back up, which is why he could only sign with the Allsvenskan hockey league. Not really a big deal.
Holland mentioned that Broberg can come back to NA for training camp. He isn't locked into playing in Europe the same way Samorukov is in the KHL. Perhaps there is an out-clause for certain Swedes who already played in the SHL, or it was part of his deal or something re Broberg.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Holland mentioned that Broberg can come back to NA for training camp. He isn't locked into playing in Europe the same way Samorukov is in the KHL. Perhaps there is an out-clause for certain Swedes who already played in the SHL, or it was part of his deal or something re Broberg.

Broberg was already loaned out to the SHL so he can play there. Bouchard just signed due to Covid delaying the NHL season, and the SHL didn't allow out-clauses for this.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think Bouchard is getting slept on. Management still sounds high on him but everyone seems to be on the Broberg hype train and I've heard many, only on this board with no source, say his skating and defense are still problematic. Which I've never actually heard from a reliable source as actually being truly "problematic" so much as not a strength. I also heard he has worked on both and taken great strides.

I like the Barrie acquisition because it provides competition for him and helps cover missing Klefbom. But hopefully it doesn't hold him back too much because from what I've heard and seen he is ready for nhl time, at least on the bottom pairing.

I totally agree with this. A lot of posters also seem to like to pick a prospect to pump up and need to put another prospect down in order to pump theirs up. Reminds me of a poster that used to be really high on Marincin, so he would constantly put down Klefbom to try and make Marincin look better.

Bouchard was our best puck mover in his 7 game try out the year after being drafted. He’s only gotten better (in every aspect) since then. Him and Broberg could end up being such a dynamite pairing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember Pronger talking about this when he was an Oiler. Dude would be standing still or barely gliding half the time when he was on the ice
When you have the wingspan of an albatross and the stride of a giraffe, that is not hard to do.:D

Reactions: nabob

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Dude has such an elite shot from the blue line. If he turns into a Burns like shooter in the NHL, the Oilers get massively better.
I noticed that too when I watched him at rookie camp. If he was a forward he's got a shot that could net him 30+ a season.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Dude has such an elite shot from the blue line. If he turns into a Burns like shooter in the NHL, the Oilers get massively better.

Dude has an insane wrister for his age but what really gets me is his half-clap.

Even in a half-slapper he shoots the puck harder and more accurately than most D-men. The lack of a wind-up also means he can get the shot off quicker before blockers can get in the way.

Can't wait to see this 82 games a year for the next 8-10 years.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Dude has an insane wrister for his age but what really gets me is his half-clap.

Even in a half-slapper he shoots the puck harder and more accurately than most D-men. The lack of a wind-up also means he can get the shot off quicker before blockers can get in the way.

Can't wait to see this 82 games a year for the next 8-10 years.

Yeh that half clap is deadly too. And if you watch Hedman this year and Burns in years past, the ability to get pucks hard to the net off quickly is huge in surprising a goalie and getting goals from the point. Bouchard could be a game changer for us.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
With Barrie here now, I don't see Bouchard getting much of a chance of making this team this year. Might not be such a bad approach though... over ripen him and let him develop the right way. Especially trying to break in the league on defence.. you don't want another J. Schultz situation here.

My only fear is that Bouch is gonna look like a very old man by the time he makes the NHL.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
With Barrie here now, I don't see Bouchard getting much of a chance of making this team this year. Might not be such a bad approach though... over ripen him and let him develop the right way. Especially trying to break in the league on defence.. you don't want another J. Schultz situation here.

My only fear is that Bouch is gonna look like a very old man by the time he makes the NHL.

What do you see the Dcore shaking out like?

As it sits right now I'm thinking a bottom pairing spot is wide open for bouchard to come take it.

Nurse Bear
Jones Barrie
Russell Bouchard
Larsson

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
What do you see the Dcore shaking out like?

As it sits right now I'm thinking a bottom pairing spot is wide open for bouchard to come take it.

Nurse Bear
Jones Barrie
Russell Bouchard
Larsson

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Barrie

That's my D for this year. Then Bouchard and Broberg can replace Russell and Larsson in the next couple seasons.

Reactions: Staghorn

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Bouch and Barrie are very different players. Barrie is a lot closer to Bear than Bouchard. In theory there is room for both on our top PP unit.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Isn’t there an issue or limit with NHL escape clauses with SHL clubs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad