Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Surprised we haven't discussed more Evan Bouchard.

Do you find the media hype on Broberg the last 2-3 days as slander to Bouchard or is it nothing?

I'm curious at the responses.

Jonathan Willis put out an article on The Athletic for guys who produced in Bouchard's wheelhouse that was super exciting with a dud too. D-men who produced within .09 of Bouchard's PPG in the AHL within six months of his age were the following:

Subban, Mike Green, Carlson, Josi, Shea Weber, David Savard, Yannick Weber (the dud)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Surprised we haven't discussed more Evan Bouchard.

Do you find the media hype on Broberg the last 2-3 days as slander to Bouchard or is it nothing?

I'm curious at the responses.
It's shiny toy syndrome from the media. We have had Bouchard for a while. Broberg, most of the media has seen less of him than most of us have, so they see him skate fast and they explode with excitement.

Wouldn't be the first time they put a new prospect above an old once for reasons.

It's also hard because we aren't able to watch what they are so we have no real idea. Is Bouchard playing bad? Or is no one there really paying attention

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It's shiny toy syndrome from the media. We have had Bouchard for a while. Broberg, most of the media has seen less of him than most of us have, so they see him skate fast and they explode with excitement.

Wouldn't be the first time they put a new prospect above an old once for reasons.

It's also hard because we aren't able to watch what they are so we have no real idea. Is Bouchard playing bad? Or is no one there really paying attention

I've seen both guys in a live setting and can say this:

Broberg is always bringing speed - he loves rushing that puck ALA Nurse, it's a very smooth stride so anyone who loves skating will love that tool from him.

Negative? Positioning, passing isn't always there, he gets lost a lot with the puck like putting it into crests or dumping it to no one.

Bouchard - his passing ability might be the best I've seen from a prospect live ever, at least from an Oilers POV. So calm too, nerves of steel. He's also very smart with his stick. Getting his shot through is a great scoring chance more often than not

Negative? Positioning, sometimes he can be a shinpad warrior like Sekera was. His skating has come a long way but there are moments he gets lost in front of his net.

It'd be hard for me to say Broberg has leaped him unless you think speed is everything, which some do. Bouchard has so far proven at a pro level he can handle big minutes, Broberg has not.

You're right on shiny toy syndrome. Bouchard's first scrimmage ever here he was passing with aplomb and he scored, and everyone went oooooo and forgot he got walked by Kirill Maksimov, so.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I've seen both guys in a live setting and can say this:

Broberg is always bringing speed - he loves rushing that puck ALA Nurse, it's a very smooth stride so anyone who loves skating will love that tool from him.

Negative? Positioning, passing isn't always there, he gets lost a lot with the puck like putting it into crests or dumping it to no one.

Bouchard - his passing ability might be the best I've seen from a prospect live ever, at least from an Oilers POV. So calm too, nerves of steel. He's also very smart with his stick. Getting his shot through is a great scoring chance more often than not

Negative? Positioning, sometimes he can be a shinpad warrior like Sekera was. His skating has come a long way but there are moments he gets lost in front of his net.

It'd be hard for me to say Broberg has leaped him unless you think speed is everything, which some do. Bouchard has so far proven at a pro level he can handle big minutes, Broberg has not.

You're right on shiny toy syndrome. Bouchard's first scrimmage ever here he was passing with aplomb and he scored, and everyone went oooooo and forgot he got walked by Kirill Maksimov, so.
I think broberg/bouchard complement each other well and could be a really good future pairing for us.

I’d still have bouchard ahead though, his skating took a huge step.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

100% agree--they have already pumped Bouchards tired after seeing him for 2 years. This is the first real chance they have had to see Broberg

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I dont think SHL teams wanted players that would leave as soon as the NHL season started therefore weren't giving "out" clauses in contracts.

Playing in the Tier 2 Swedish league is better than sitting at home.
Trust me I fully agree. I also agree, he seems to have utterly dominate his game today which is only positive

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Bouchard is getting slept on. Management still sounds high on him but everyone seems to be on the Broberg hype train and I've heard many, only on this board with no source, say his skating and defense are still problematic. Which I've never actually heard from a reliable source as actually being truly "problematic" so much as not a strength. I also heard he has worked on both and taken great strides.

I like the Barrie acquisition because it provides competition for him and helps cover missing Klefbom. But hopefully it doesn't hold him back too much because from what I've heard and seen he is ready for nhl time, at least on the bottom pairing.

Reactions: nabob and MessierII

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I think Bouchard is getting slept on. Management still sounds high on him but everyone seems to be on the Broberg hype train and I've heard many, only on this board with no source, say his skating and defense are still problematic. Which I've never actually heard from a reliable source as actually being truly "problematic" so much as not a strength. I also heard he has worked on both and taken great strides.
it reminds me a bit of when draisaitls skating was a weakness. People always find potential problems with prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad