Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Personally I think Bouchards offensive tools are better than Hamilton’s by a decent amount but I feel like he has a longer way to go with the rest of his game than Hamilton did at the same age. Shattenkirk isn’t really a great comparison because the way he creates offense isn’t anything like the other two.

Shattenkirks breakout pass is top drawer like Bouchard. Obviously they aren't the same, the size alone is a big difference, but the roles they'd fill and there weaknesses would be similar. Mediocre skating, mediocre defense, not engaged enough. So worst case would be the same for me, ideally an excellent 3rd pairing anchor for offensive situations and the PP with an elite breakout pass.

I'd somewhat agree that Bouchards offensive game is maybe better but that's only if you ignore the fact that Hamilton has more ability to make plays with his feet. Hamilton's offense in junior was also very comparable. I'm also not so sure Hamilton's defense was all that far ahead. Bouchard needs to add the physicality but Hamilton had a penchant for getting lost in his own zone too.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I always thought of John Carlson for Bouchard.

There are two very distinct sides to how some describe his defensive game.

Reports that he has compete issues and will likely never be great defensively. That his skating will hold him back.

Others that he has a high compete level. Is a leader. Logs big minutes in every role. Has improved defensively and made up ground on skating which was never bad to begin with.

Personally when he stated that he models his game after Drew Doughty and have a strong two way game I tend to believe those that state the latter. Drew is a huge competitor that skates well and defends well on top of always being good offensively. Hard to imagine he has work ethic and unfixabe defensive problems if he is pushing to be like the best 2 way defender of the last decade.

Until his defensive game comes around completely I think he will have the offensive defenseman tag. In his draft +1 at the nhl level people forget he handled the defense ok and while also already looking like our best offensive defensemen. I don't think he has far to go to be a positive impact player. Next year I suspect he will easily be able secure a top 6 role and I would not be surprised if he captures a top 4 role either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Shattenkirks breakout pass is top drawer like Bouchard. Obviously they aren't the same, the size alone is a big difference, but the roles they'd fill and there weaknesses would be similar. Mediocre skating, mediocre defense, not engaged enough. So worst case would be the same for me, ideally an excellent 3rd pairing anchor for offensive situations and the PP with an elite breakout pass.

I'd somewhat agree that Bouchards offensive game is maybe better but that's only if you ignore the fact that Hamilton has more ability to make plays with his feet. Hamilton's offense in junior was also very comparable. I'm also not so sure Hamilton's defense was all that far ahead. Bouchard needs to add the physicality but Hamilton had a penchant for getting lost in his own zone too.
Shatty doesn’t really have a crazy offensive skill set he’s one of those guys that creates most of his offense by being in the right places and having good instincts. His offensive game is more cerebral than the other guys mentioned.

Hamilton for sure skates way better and always has. Your 100% right there but I do think Bouchards shot and passing ability is way better than Hamilton’s was at a young age. I think Hamilton’s skating just gave him so much more of an ability to recover defensively when he did make mistakes. Probably didnt hurt having chara in his early years as well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I always thought of John Carlson for Bouchard.

Reports that he has compete issues and will likely never be great defensively. That his skating will hold him back.

Others that he has a high compete level. Is a leader. Logs big minutes in every role. Has improved defensively and made up ground on skating which was never bad to begin with.

Personally when he stated that he models his game after Drew Doughty and have a strong two way game I tend to believe those that state the latter. Drew is a huge competitor that skates well and defends well on top of always being good offensively. Hard to imagine he has work ethic and unfixabe defensive problems if he is pushing to be like the best 2 way defender of the last decade.

Until his defensive game comes around completely I think he will have the offensive defenseman tag. In his draft +1 at the nhl level people forget he handled the defense ok and while also already looking like our best offensive defensemen. I don't think he has far to go to be a positive impact player. Next year I suspect he will easily be able secure a top 6 role and I would not be surprised if he captures a top 4 role either.
Every step along the way Bouchard has been quite a bit ahead of bear.

Bear had the same "skating" questions and after a good offseason, improved his skating quite a bit.

I think Bouchard will improve his skating a bit, but he's so smart with the puck that once he gets it, its almost a secured breakout, just like it is with Bear.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
That first pass by Bouchard. How much better can he get? I think this player is going to blow peoples mind once he acclimates to the NHL.

McDavid and Draisaitl might finally have an elite passer to work with on defence.

Also an elite right handed Powerplay Quarterback in a couple years. Which makes a difference for cross ice one timers. He also has a booming shot. Skating can be taught with good work ethic (Draisaitl). Hockey IQ is a little different. I’ve always been excited since the day we drafted him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think Carlson is easily his best comparison stylistically.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Shatty doesn’t really have a crazy offensive skill set he’s one of those guys that creates most of his offense by being in the right places and having good instincts. His offensive game is more cerebral than the other guys mentioned.

Hamilton for sure skates way better and always has. Your 100% right there but I do think Bouchards shot and passing ability is way better than Hamilton’s was at a young age. I think Hamilton’s skating just gave him so much more of an ability to recover defensively when he did make mistakes. Probably didnt hurt having chara in his early years as well.

You basically just described Bouchard with your first paragraph. Bouchard jumps into the play a ton, he plays like an extra forward. Bouchard just also has a nuclear bomb of a shot. Shattenkirk like Bouchard strugglels with pressure but excels at moving pucks clean out of the zone. Bouchard has the size however to lock things down more than Shattenkirk. See why I used the comp?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You basically just described Bouchard with your first paragraph. Bouchard jumps into the play a ton, he plays like an extra forward. Bouchard just also has a nuclear bomb of a shot. Shattenkirk like Bouchard strugglels with pressure but excels at moving pucks clean out of the zone. Bouchard has the size however to lock things down more than Shattenkirk. See why I used the comp?
Not really and I don’t agree that shatty struggles with pressure. One of Shattenkirks biggest strengths is his poise under pressure. His only flaws away from the puck are the fact he gets outmuscled around the net and can go through slumps where his defensive positioning isn’t there. Bouchards physical tools are on another level. He has a ridiculous shot, great puck handling and passing ability. Most of his offense comes from those tools. He has size and his physical skill set is completely different from Shattenkirks.

Shattenkirk is a weird player to compare to anyone honestly. He plays a style that doesn’t really compare to other players that produce the same way. He’s kind of like Ryan Smyth in that sense.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not really and I don’t agree that shatty struggles with pressure. One of Shattenkirks biggest strengths is his poise under pressure. His only flaws away from the puck are the fact he gets outmuscled around the net and can go through slumps where his defensive positioning isn’t there. Bouchards physical tools are on another level. He has a ridiculous shot, great puck handling and passing ability. Most of his offense comes from those tools. He has size and his physical skill set is completely different from Shattenkirks.

Shattenkirk is a weird player to compare to anyone honestly. He plays a style that doesn’t really compare to other players that produce the same way. He’s kind of like Ryan Smyth in that sense.

That's what I mean by pressure, sustained offensive zone pressure. I don't mean being pressured with the puck, i mean without it. I thought the fact I said he excels at moving pucks would have implied that but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Struggling to break the cycle and an inability to retain strong positioning is what leads to being pressured in your own zone for sustained periods. Shattenkirk is great on a 3rd pair because the dump in, preffered by bottom 6 types, is not effective against him. Players who are more adept at gaining the zone with possesion have success because he can't get the puck from them effectively enough and can be beat by the cycle.

I think you don't realize how much Bouchard jumps into the play and produces on the rush and via pinching. Bouchard isn't relying soley on breakout passes and point shots, if he was he wouldn't produce such impressive totals. His hockey sense is off the charts good, his poise and awareness is his greatest asset. His biggest issue is a lack of aggression, he's a thinker not a doer, and as such he looks slower than he is. I have high hopes for Bouchard because he has the physical tools to develop a defensive game akin to Klefbom but with elite offensive ability. Also I don't think Shattenkirk is the unicorn you think he is.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Every step along the way Bouchard has been quite a bit ahead of bear.

Bear had the same "skating" questions and after a good offseason, improved his skating quite a bit.

I think Bouchard will improve his skating a bit, but he's so smart with the puck that once he gets it, its almost a secured breakout, just like it is with Bear.

Reasonable take but I'll say I don't think skating is much of an issue tbh, i think pace is the problem. Bouchard slows the game down and is used to dominating in big minutes against lesser players, he needs to learn how to play harder and faster and that's normal for a dman that's used to controlling the tempo of a game. Having ice veins is great and all but can be lead to a guy looking slow and lacking urgency. Bear to me gained a considerable increase in speed but always had great edges, he also looks more fit. It's a reasonable comparison though.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
That first pass by Bouchard. How much better can he get? I think this player is going to blow peoples mind once he acclimates to the NHL.

McDavid and Draisaitl might finally have an elite passer to work with on defence.
He'll be an artillery piece on the point during the power play too. Holy Jeez! A power play with McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, and Bouchard? That would probably break the all time record for PP success percentage.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He'll be an artillery piece on the point during the power play too. Holy Jeez! A power play with McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, and Bouchard? That would probably break the all time record for PP success percentage.
Hey...Where's my boy Nuge.

Plus Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson and Messier was pretty decent as well.

Oiler fans have been spoiled at times. :)

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Hey...Where's my boy Nuge.

Plus Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson and Messier was pretty decent as well.

Oiler fans have been spoiled at times. :)
Too many great pieces to count my friend. We have been spoiled but don't forget for all the positivity we've had, there has been a lot of negative. The Oilers sucked for about as long as they were the greatest team in the NHL and won almost as many draft lotteries as they have Stanley Cups! :laugh:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Too many great pieces to count my friend. We have been spoiled but don't forget for all the positivity we've had, there has been a lot of negative. The Oilers sucked for about as long as they were the greatest team in the NHL and won almost as many draft lotteries as they have Stanley Cups! :laugh:
I followed the team since 72 so I have felt every bump in the road. Lots of years with broken suspension.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Stoll and Letestu had a skill for hard one-timers. I haven't particularly noticed Haas for this. Is this in his toolbox?

A bit like Slepyshev, if you look at his highlights from other leagues, you can see he has a legit shot and the ability to score from the outside. With both Bern and the Swiss national team he played the point/LW circle on the PP.

The big issue with Haas is although he's got a decent bit of skill and a bit of slyness in his game (see the love of a fake shot, and the recognition to wait for lanes to open), he's not really a QB or a guy that excels at distributing the puck. But hey, that's why he would just be a trigger man on the 2nd unit, and not a fixture on the top unit.

I said it last offseason, but I still think he's got a similar upside to a guy like Calle Jarnkrok. Not a guy that's going to anchor the 3rd line, but someone that can definitely be a solid contributor on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad