Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Getting hemmed in your own zone is "good defensive " hockey?

Ya, i know exactly what playoff hockey needs to be like, and that wasn't it lol.
Last nite looked like Edm vs Chi last year, with our top 2 lines consistently in our own zone vs theirs
Oilers were the better team last night.

Reactions: Declassified

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does anyone know a place that would have the stats for our team with and without Bouch in the lineup? IMO he is a major cog to our game offensively and I suspect that we score a lot more with him in the lineup than without.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone know a place that would have the stats for our team with and without Bouch in the lineup? IMO he is a major cog to our game offensively and I suspect that we score a lot more with him in the lineup than without.
Just going off his game logs we average 3.41 goals per game with him in the line up and 3.00 goals per game with him out of the line up.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Holland on Evan Bouchard from Daniel Nugent Bowman's article in The Athletic:

"We’re having conversations about trying to get him in (the lineup), maybe to get him in here in the future. Things are going relatively well, so we haven’t had those conversations, but maybe we will. We’ve sent (Theodor) Lennstrom down to play some games. They play six games in nine nights.
We’ve really got seven defencemen (plus Bouchard). There’s a chance Slater Koekkoek could be ready to play before the end of the season. It depends if the schedule gets stretched out. I’ve heard rumblings (that it will). But, no; we haven’t had any thoughts of sending Bouchard to the American League. He was there all year last year. The hope is to get him some games here before the end of the season."

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bear and Jones had a horrible game against Montreal. They are making rookie mistakes without having high end passing and a 105MPH slapper. Get him in ffs. And do it on his right side so that we can see what we have in him without playing him on the left side. Yeah he has played there, but he's a f***ing rookie and should be broken in on his regular side.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lol, that's a good problem to have. Most teams would rather have a Calder winning prospect on their team.

Eh, you’re talking to a fan base that has had the privilege of watching the two best players of their respective eras play for their team, that also got jobbed out of Calders. It’s a meaningless trophy

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Bear and Jones had a horrible game against Montreal. They are making rookie mistakes without having high end passing and a 105MPH slapper. Get him in ffs. And do it on his right side so that we can see what we have in him without playing him on the left side. Yeah he has played there, but he's a f***ing rookie and should be broken in on his regular side.

Hell, he’d be better than them even on his offside

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hell, he’d be better than them even on his offside

True, but as a rookie breaking in he should be in his normal position making it easier on him, make someone else move to the left side (Bear) if we insist on keeping all 3 current RHD in the lineup.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lol, that's a good problem to have. Most teams would rather have a Calder winning prospect on their team.
That is a good problem to have until they signed that 8M+ contract right after their ELC and then people start to wonder where all the depth went

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

"We’re having conversations about trying to get him in (the lineup), maybe to get him in here in the future. Things are going relatively well, so we haven’t had those conversations, but maybe we will. We’ve sent (Theodor) Lennstrom down to play some games. They play six games in nine nights.
We’ve really got seven defencemen (plus Bouchard). There’s a chance Slater Koekkoek could be ready to play before the end of the season. It depends if the schedule gets stretched out. I’ve heard rumblings (that it will). But, no; we haven’t had any thoughts of sending Bouchard to the American League. He was there all year last year. The hope is to get him some games here before the end of the season."

Sounds like Holland is scratching his head over the matter too.

Stubborn behavior seldom goes unnoticed. The question is does Holland ask the coach outright what the strategy regarding Bouchard is--assuming that there is a strategy.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

So Koekkoek will be back in the lineup before Bouchard, nice.

I'm sure Ken wants Bouchard to play, and Tippett is probably like "We are winning, so don't tell me how to run my roster". Just get him some games, we are a virtual lock for the playoffs.

Reactions: Biltmore

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Condors now have 10D

Kaldis
Niemelainen
Gravel
Desharnais
Stanton
Lennstrom
Kesselring
Jaks
Gildon
Kemp

They play 7D and still have to rotate players about... and honestly... the entire group DESERVES to play. Bouchard would still fight for time on the Condors.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think the biggest reason for not sending him down is the quarantine rule upon returning to Canada on recall. I believe the 7 day rule is for traded players only.

As for not playing him, the only thing I can think of is Bear and/or Jones are being shopped.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think the problem is you're trying to get Bear going. He was a big part of the team last year.

Ideally they get to a point where they can rest Larsson....actually preferably Barrie.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

"I would literally rather him not play at all than play in the AHL."

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Condors now have 10D

Kaldis
Niemelainen
Gravel
Desharnais
Stanton
Lennstrom
Kesselring
Jaks
Gildon
Kemp

They play 7D and still have to rotate players about... and honestly... the entire group DESERVES to play. Bouchard would still fight for time on the Condors.

The bolded are the only ones that I care about getting minutes developmentally. Are any of the others potential NHLers that we have NHL rights to?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Your team just got outshot 2-1 by a last place young club, and your goalie had to play great to get the win. After tonight, no more bingo freebies for a while. Things are not going relatively well, Dave. Put Bouch in the lineup over Bear for a couple games please.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah. Might still be an NHL-er though.

If had 2-3 more injuries to the Oilers... sure. He would be the first callup as the other NHL D are basically pro rookies.

Kaldis, Jaks, Desharnais almost deserve an NHL contract. One could argue Stanton and Gravel do... but every team has a 50 contract limit.

Gildon is the best D there... he's the next version of Lagesson/Jones/Samorukov for the Condors. He will make the NHL next season probably with the Panthers.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

Wow...can't be any more vague that that! I'm worried that Tip might paint himself into a corner regarding Bouchard. If Tip waits too long to put Bouchard into the games ("we can't risk changing our _____"), then he's faced with a choice to start him near / in the playoffs. Coach is too conservative / risk averse to doing that. And that's just bad coaching in the end.

Reactions: Aerchon

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Your team just got outshot 2-1 by a last place young club, and your goalie had to play great to get the win. After tonight, no more bingo freebies for a while. Things are not going relatively well, Dave. Put Bouch in the lineup over Bear for a couple games please.

Yes, I am thankful for the 9 wins against the Senators but its not much of a measuring stick.

As one of the few Eskimo fans on the board you will understand the parallels between Maas and Tipps:

-Maas goes with Logan Kilgore at QB but the man can't throw a pass further than 30 yards. Meantime, the heir apparent in the igloo-- Mr. Briscoe-- sees absolutely no playing time despite the fact that he is clearly more talented (as demonstrated in exhibition games and practices simply by throwing a 40 yard pass) than Mr. Kilgore. The results on the field were rather predictable. When asked about this situation Maas refuses to even answer or indirectly tells everyone that he knows something that everyone else doesn't but hey --when do we see why we just didn't get it?

-Tipps goes with D-men who are more experienced but clearly less talented than Bouchard who despite his flaws obviously has more physical talent. In similar fashion to Briscoe, the guy can't learn from his mistakes and improve his game when he's sitting in the press box or carrying a clip board. Even the Oiler GM hints that he would like an answer but its politely glossed over at Q&A sessions. Well, hopefully in the playoffs we will see how wrong we were and that the head coach knew something that mere mortals didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad