Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
How many games can he suit up for this season to still be Calder eligible next season?

He has played only 8 NHL games.
After 25 games he’s no longer eligible. I would be surprised if he didn’t play 17 this year to surpass that.

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Thanks.. I thought it was something like 40games.
Yeh, no way he is staying a 'rookie' past this season.

Reactions: shoop

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Bouchard's offense (of course) will be most talked about and his defensive game is a work in progress (better than in prior NHL attempts), but it sure was nice to see TSN talking about his battling and tying up Gallagher at the net front in the highlights (even if the point was brought up when discussing Gallagher). Wouldn't give him an inch.

He's going to be the best overall RD on the team by the end of the regular season.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Bouchard's offense (of course) will be most talked about and his defensive game is a work in progress (better than in prior NHL attempts), but it sure was nice to see TSN talking about his battling and tying up Gallagher at the net front in the highlights (even if the point was brought up when discussing Gallagher). Wouldn't give him an inch.

He's going to be the best overall RD on the team by the end of the regular season.

Hockey defense 101

if things are getting scrambly and you are not sure what to do, tie up the guy in front of the net - lift his stick and push the forward around

You can tell he has had good coaching in the past

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Our best D prospect in a long time, even a peg ahead of Nurse and Klefbom.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
So with 2 points tonight, Bouchard jumps to 17th on rookie scoring with 4 pts in 6 games. But his points per game (amongst rookies who played at least 5 games) is now 4th in the league.
He and Jason Robertson (4 game pt streak, 3rd in rookie pt/g) are the hot ticket rookies right now.

Makes one ponder, if he played from game 1, would he be #1 in rookie scoring and the favorite for the Calder?
I wonder if he could still win the trophy, he didn't play for like the first 10 or 11 games?

Also worthy to note, for card collectors, his rookie stock is taking a sharp upward trajectory. His young guns 2 weeks ago was 10-15 bucks on ebay. Now it's 30-35. I anticipate that it will peak towards the end of the season, if all things go well for the Oilers, and they're a lock to make the playoffs, and Bouchard continues his production, it could very well hit 80-100. If you invested 2 weeks ago in Bouchard young guns rookie cards, you might see a 600-1000% return by seasons end. But if you hold, and he actually wins the Calder, ohh baby it's Red Lobster week

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Doesn't seem like you can take him out of the line-up at this point.

Yeah, he has some defensive lapses, but they haven't been that bad actually yet. His offensive ability is just so, SO, obvious. He makes smart puck decisions in the vast majority of situations. Really happy with him so far, considering his position and age.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
4 goals in 4 PPs when Neal is on the team to 0 in 2 PP when Chiasson is in.

Chiasson brings absolutely nothing to this team

I noticed with Neal in this team looks better on the PP. Whether that translates directly to points for him or not I think there is some value in him in this lineup.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Imo zero chance he is top 3 for Calder. Him not playing day 1 will make it hard for media to care. Media will just look at numbers and vote and I don't see him finishing top 3 in points

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Imo zero chance he is top 3 for Calder. Him not playing day 1 will make it hard for media to care. Media will just look at numbers and vote and I don't see him finishing top 3 in points
Still a bit early and it's not like there is a forward running away with it at this point.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Still a bit early and it's not like there is a forward running away with it at this point.
Fair.

But looking at a lot of stats he isn't really top in any.

14th in TOI/GP
41st in +/-
21st in points
8th in shots
Tied for 20th in goals.

Definitely early enough for things to turn around.

Imho right now I'd say
Lankinen, Suter, Smith
Are the front runners.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wondering how he was doing advanced wise compared to the other rookie d in the league 5v5

CF%: 10th
SF%: 16th
GF%: 20th (Lagesson 3rd)
xGF: 6th
xGA: 12th (Lagesson #1!!)
SCF%: 18th
HDCF%: 12th
Points/60: 1st
Shots/60: 1st (13.33, second has 8.54, first in the league not just rookies)
TOI/GP: 6th

So his 5v5 offensive numbers are pretty damn great but his defense could use some work still. That said his partners haven't been the greatest and either have the goalies. His offensive impact is clear as day though, and the advanced stats back it up

Reactions: Llamamoto

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair.

But looking at a lot of stats he isn't really top in any.

14th in TOI/GP
41st in +/-
21st in points
8th in shots
Tied for 20th in goals.

Definitely early enough for things to turn around.

Imho right now I'd say
Lankinen, Suter, Smith
Are the front runners.
It'll be a longshot, but the one thing he does have going is this crop isn't exactly that great.

Lankinen is an interesting one. With how bad that team is he should be getting pity votes.

It's also sad where CHI gets these guys from. Suter, Lankinen are both UFA rookies that they signed. Kurashev 4th rounder rookie playing well. Beaudin a rookie d-man with similar stats to Bouchard. Things don't look as bad as one would've thought going into the year without Toews and Dach.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->