Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by OfCorsiDid, Mar 21, 2020.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He would likely need to start playing on the top PP unit to have a shot at it. I personally feel that Bouch (or even Nurse for that matter) are better PP options than Barrie is.

McYams17 likes this.
  2. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    2 straight games with a TOI under 10 minutes. Not liking the way that his ice time is being managed right now.

Aerchon and Zaddy like this.
  3. voxel Go Condors!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don’t think Tippett trusts him yet defensively so in tight games he will sit. While Larsson and Russell had a great game tonight, they normally are giveaway machines (after winning a puck battle they just toss it blindly away) so Oilers just get hemmed in again.

4. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    And I understand that mentality. However the game is played in 3 zones and he really benefits us when we have the puck.

bobbythebrain likes this.
  5. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He was managed fine in a tight game in a building the Oil have had trouble winning in. He and 4K didn't look great in the d-zone. Bouchard's o-zone game is solid and confidence but defensively it is very much a work in progress. And that is just fine. He's asserted himself into a regular spot on the blueline and needs to build his experience and own zone game to earn the coach's confidence and with that more ice-time (eventually). A 2-1 win game he was handled just fine.

6. LTIR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Russell-Bouchard was a reliable pairing for Tipp. I dont think he trusts KK-Bouchard much.

ujju2 and Bryanbryoil like this.
  7. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    KK has not been good lately IMO.

Blue Line Howie, ujju2 and McYams17 like this.
  8. LTIR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He jumped up a couple times tonight and got decent scoring chances. Looked decent on PK as well.
    When Bear returns, Bouch might be the one getting scratched.

9. Zaddy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Exactly, I'm not sure why anyone would trust those two any more than Bouchard. He can at least play himself out of tough situations. Russell and Lars just put it glass out at best. Bouch should get more playing time. Having him play less than 10 minutes is criminal IMO, considering what he brings to the table.

10. Drivesaitl Sophisticated Sophist ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The trouble is last night wasnt that type of game and it was pretty clear this was a night where McDrai didn't have legs and our topsix didn't have jam. So what was critical last night was to limit GA.

Has to be mentioned that all of Nurse, Barrie, Larsson have been playing fantastic hockey. No slight on Bouchard who may be the best of the bunch, but it takes some time and he'll put in the work. I might feel different about some of these things but with Seattle also prowling around I don't know how that impacts things and our usage of D this year. Aren't we playing Russel so he can get exposed? I don't know how these expansion drafts work.

Bryanbryoil and Blue Line Howie like this.
  11. bobbythebrain Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    His ice time is down cuz Tipp is spoon feeding every second of McDavid icetime to Barrie.
    That will cause the 3rd pair minutes

Crazy since Barrie is not a guy you should be playing 28min a night. That line got caved last night soo many times. Tipp is playing russian roulette with Barrie that much, and he will eat that bullet come playoff time.

Bouchard may not be great defensively, but i am clueless how Tipp hasn't seen how quick he can turn a play up ice.
    Why he isn't getting atleast some of Barries minutes w/ McDavid is terrible coaching, and poor development decision making

Bryanbryoil and Aerchon like this.
  12. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ummmm do you want to win the game? Or give Bouchard minutes? How Tippett played the defence last night worked and Koekkoek is atrocious at defence. Why on earth would he play that pairing over Nurse and Barrie? Our team and Tippett want us to win games and make the playoffs. Bouchard is getting settled in slowly like every other rookie Dman.

Do you want us to make the playoffs or no?

13. bobbythebrain Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Worked? McDavids line spent half the nite chasing the puck in their own zone.
    Don't mistake luck with giving credit.

Aerchon likes this.
  14. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Luck? Do you know what defensive hockey is? I’m sorry to break it to you but playoff hockey isn’t just run and gun, 5-0,6-5 wins.

We had some luck our way but we also played a good defensive game with good goaltending.

15. bobbythebrain Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Getting hemmed in your own zone is "good defensive " hockey?

Ya, i know exactly what playoff hockey needs to be like, and that wasn't it lol.
    Last nite looked like Edm vs Chi last year, with our top 2 lines consistently in our own zone vs theirs

Aerchon likes this.
  16. 3IR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The best thing for Bouchard would be Bear and Lagesson coming back and playing well. Bouchard with Larsson seems like a great bottom pairing to ease him in, and you can give him some gravy starts in the offensive zone or on the PP.

or if we go with 7 dmen, we can keep him away from the most difficult matchups while allowing him to work on his game.

Nurse Barrie
    Lagesson Bear
    Bouchard Larsson
    Russell

17. alphahelix Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I get what youre trying to do with these pairings but I think when you factor in that Bear is returning from a long absence, Lagesson is a rookie, and Barrie is porous defensively- you wouldnt have a lot of trustworthy pairings for Tipp to put out against elites in critical moments. We saw Nurse-Larsson a few times last night actually and it wouldnt surprise me if we see more of it in critical PKs/defensive situations. This configuration might be something to revisit later on down the line but not loving it as an option for today.

18. 3IR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That’s why I like the 7D idea. Gives you the flexibility of putting Nurse and Larsson out with Russell able to slot in with Barrie or Bouchard as the stabilizer.

It’ll be interesting to see how it’s handled going forward, but I just don’t think Bouchard should spend time on the bench from here on out. He’s got warts, but he needs to be playing.

19. McYams17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Then I guess complain about it instead of taking positives out of it lol. I’m not going to complain about a win. A wins a win

20. Lewy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He’s thrown three pucks up the middle in the last three or four games that have been intercepted. He’s got to cut that out of his game. None have gone in for a goal against but if it keeps happening the puck will go in and he will be riding pine a la Kahun the other night.

21. Tippetts Mustache Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. That combined with iffy off the puck d-zone play could get him out of the lineup quickly.

22. ujju2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think Larsson is better used on a shutdown pairing with Lagesson than sheltering Bouchard on the third pair. Put Bear with Bouchard and give them a large number of offensive zone starts. Give Lagesson-Larsson the heavy defensive minutes.

Nurse-Barrie
    Lagesson-Larsson
    Bouchard-Bear

Giggleplex and Blue Line Howie like this.
  23. MuzzaFuzza MVP(s)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I agree, Bear can't come back soon enough. Its worrisome that he's had a setback almost two weeks after getting concussed though :(

24. Blue Line Howie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, Nuge and McDavid looked pretty brutal in the defensive zone and were bailed out by Larsson and Barrie multiple times due to lazy fly-bys

bobbythebrain likes this.
  25. Bank Shot Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Getting less than 10 minutes a night every once in awhile isn't going to hurt Bouchard.

If he's a big boy he will continue to play hard and earn his minutes and he'll work his way up the depth chart.