Euro: Euro 2016 Final: France vs. Portugal, 7/10/2016

All_blueandwhite

Apr 15, 2007
It's hilarious reading how salty everyone is in here. Give your nuts a tug and grow up.

No ones going to remember how they got there or how they won the games. At the end of the day our name is on the trophy.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011

I actually liked the tournament with lesser soccer countries. Things weren't as predictable. Anytime I can root for Republic of Ireland in knockout rounds is cool with me.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm not surprised Portugal won this tournament at all. They have a very young, talented team, and I could see this being the start of them winning more major tournaments.

The reason being is that I think they have the talent to win going forward in a much more offensive manner. They obviously proved they can win as defensively as they did, but I think they can change their shape and play a completely different type of game as well. The way they showed in this tournament is not ultimately what I will think they will be, even in the next world cup. They were a shootout away from probably winning 2012 and should have won in 2004. You could make the case this could have been their 3rd title.

They were one of my 2 or 3 dark horse teams going into this tournament, and while I am really surprised they beat France, I am not surprised they put themselves in this position. I thought they would do it the dominant way by winning their group and making it to the semis. I didn't expect them to do it this way, but whatever.

They're going to need some young defenders to step up in the coming years, but the core of Sanches, Gomes, Joao Mario, Carvalho and Silva is really, really nice.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm happy for Portugal actually. It's funny because 2000 and 2004 I was rooting for them and they didn't end up winning. Big fan of how they played back then and guys like Figo.

And now they did it playing a bit differently and finally won. Football at the end of the day is about the result and yeah some of it is of course luck. This whole thing could have ended very differently if Croatia had taken one or more of their chances in ET in that match but that's the way these stories are written. There's always 'what ifs'. That doesn't make it less meaningful for Portugal.

It's good that they finally got their name on the trophy when less illustrious nations like Denmark and Greece had already won it. And also, eff France.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm not surprised Portugal won this tournament at all. They have a very young, talented team, and I could see this being the start of them winning more major tournaments.

I don't know about that. A lot of nations have talented youngsters at any point. I think Portugal have enough to be a competitive and dangerous team going forward even as Ronaldo declines and/or retires, but it's very difficult to win multiple major tournaments for many reasons. You gotta be lucky for sure and luck tends to even out a bit.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don't know about that. A lot of nations have talented youngsters at any point. I think Portugal have enough to be a competitive and dangerous team going forward even as Ronaldo declines and/or retires, but it's very difficult to win multiple major tournaments for many reasons. You gotta be lucky for sure and luck tends to even out a bit.

Yes, you're right. I'm just looking at it from this standpoint: For whatever reason Santos is having this team play a super defensive posture. You could make the case that they have the talent to be a much, much better side and can play a much more attractive type of game. When I am looking around at a lot of the teams that choose to play the way Santos does, it's for a reason. They don't have attacking talent, they're not very creative on the ball, and they are stout at the back. Effectively their back 4 is the strength of their team.

Portugal's defense is actually really weak, to my mind. I realize they played like **** in qualifiers before Santos came in, but if you look at the team they have and the youngsters, I would not think they would play in the way they do. And they won the Euros with it, ugly or not.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The saltiness was predictable. Nothing wrong with this tournament, or Portugal winning. That's football. It happens not only every year on every stage, but it's been that way forever.

Happy for Ronaldo and Portugal. Great for them. :)

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Don't give a tuck how they won. All that matters is that there is 1 and repeat 1 team with the trophy and that is the team in red. ***** and moan all you want I'm still smiling and cheering all night long. Força portugal

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
m6m1wvy.jpg

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This win will guarantee Ronaldo another Ballon d'or when in reality Suarez deserves itm
Dominating La Liga isn't enough.Suarez getting injured before the Copa America and not going far enough in the Champions League really hurt his chances.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Dominating La Liga isn't enough.Suarez getting injured before the Copa America and not going far enough in the Champions League really hurt his chances.

I think more of the fact of his other issues really hurt him. He was barely voted for last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad