Euro: Euro 2016 Final: France vs. Portugal, 7/10/2016

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Messi's been the best in 2016, but yes, Suarez will never be a popular choice in the BdO process.

Ronaldo will win it unless his injury takes him out for a long stretch. Hasn't been the best though, hell he hasn't been the best on that RM team.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I really liked seeing a very focused Pepe during this tournament.A great reminder that when the man isn't being a clown he's a pretty damn good football player.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
This was truly the summer of Ronaldo.

- Wins the Champions League while being complete rubbish in the match but buries the game winning PK.

- Plays like crap for the first two games of the euro's missing sitters and even a penalty but scores two huge goals in the third match to secure the tie which sees Portugal through to the next round in the soft side of the bracket.

- Meanwhile, his arch-nemesis across the pond manages to lose his third straight final with his national team and cement his legacy has nothing more than a club player.

- Ronaldo is completely invisible AGAIN for 117 minutes against Croatia but leads the counter that will result in Quaresma's goal to win the match.

- Misses a whole bunch of sitters against Poland but scores the first penalty and inspires his team to victory in the end.

- Scores and assist in the semis in his best game of the tournament and provides the highlight of the tournament with the greatest goal scoring celebration I've ever seen.

13592828_10157159160395013_1275521273100212569_n.jpg

- Finally limps out of the final after 25 minutes, yet his team somehow pulls it off and he's now a champion at the International level as well.

The summer of Ronaldo.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Very happy France lost.

Don't get all the bitterness in this thread. France didn't really show up. Didn't play Iceland in the final. Couldn't even win despite a stomp out on Ronaldo early in the game.

I'm not even a Ronaldo fan but he had a few brilliant moments in this tournament, against Hungary and Wales. If someone was trash in this tournament it wasn't Ronaldo but Zlatan.

I was a bit surprised when Croatia lost against Portugal because I thought they would go far, but they obviously lost to a very good team.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I was a bit surprised when Croatia lost against Portugal because I thought they would go far, but they obviously lost to a very good team.

There's no way to know this, but that Croatia team wins that game with any other coach in the tournament... Any single one except that one that was actually coaching. :shakehead

In the end... I'd say the 24-team tournament was a complete flop from a POV of someone who wants to watch good football.

I get that countries that aren't usually there got a thrill out of it, but watching about 16 teams play purely defensive football was a giant turn off.
Worst off all, with 16/24 teams going through to the next round, that defensive football was a legit approach to getting through.
I mean, Portugal got through with 3 draws. Northern Ireland with 1 win and no goals scored in three out of their 4 games in the end. Etc.

I know it's not gonna change because MONEY, but the 16 team EURO made for much better football.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Congrats Portugal!

This felt like watching Croatia vs Portugal again. Why didn't the French press them more? What were they afraid of? The only actual Portuguese threat was accidentally kicked out of the game after 7 minutes.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Hilarious (not to mention utterly misinformed) these comparison between this Portugal side and the Greek side of '04.

One was a side:
- Made up of almost entirely domestic players from a far "lesser" league
- Made up of players, 90% of whom you'd have never heard of had they not won it
- Made up of players who were worth less combined at the time than William Carvalho is worth now in the market
- That defeated the host nation (twice) as well as the previous tourney's winners
- That never needed penalties to decide a match
- That never failed to score in a match
- That scored as many goals in the group stages as anybody else did in their group
- That finished above Spain, eliminating them in the group stages
- That defeated a star studded Portuguese team not once but twice on their home soil, a Portuguese team that would have run over this year's Portugal
- That defeated an incredible French side made up of Zidane, Henry, Pires, Makelele, Viera, Desailly etc... that would have demolished this version of France
- That defeated the hottest team in the tournament led by the tourney's two best strikers in Koller and Baros who had previously torn through Germany, Holland and Denmark scoring at will
- That would have finished last in their group had they "stormed forward" like the HF crowd would have loved for them to in their infinite wisdom

Ridiculous comparisons given what Portugal is able to put on the field in terms of quality and what Greece was able to put out there back then.

All that being said, Portugal are deserved winners.
Seven teams had the chance to beat them and failed.
That's as deserving as it gets.

Incredibly happy for Santos whom some Greek NT supporters deemed not fit to manage us any longer.
And given the recent successes of former Greek NT managers, I fully expect Skibbe to lift the World Cup trophy having replaced Low in two years' time.

Side note: If any club wants to spend the asking price of 35 million Pounds for Sissoko, please do so quickly before thinking about it too long.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...-win-final-with-unbelievable-halftime-speech/

"It was a very tough moment," Soares said. "I remember, for me and the team, everybody was a little bit in shock I think [when Ronaldo got injured].

"At half time, Cristiano had fantastic words for us. He gave us a lot of confidence and said, 'listen people, I'm sure we will win, so stay together and fight for it.'"

Soares said Ronaldo's speech was 'really unbelievable,' and it made his teammates believe they could win the tournament, which they managed to do with Eder's goal in extra time to take it 1-0.

xMZMz.gif

"@Cristiano told me I was going to score the winning goal." - #POR hero Eder. #Euro2016Final

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No way France 04 would beat today's France.
04 France was extremely shaky. They pretty much played like the 02 team that crashed in the group stage of the WC.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The annoying part about this is people are going to treat this Euro win as if Ronaldo contributed in that game when he wasn't even the reason why Portugal won (basically the opposite of what happened with Messi and the Copa/WC).

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
- That defeated a star studded Portuguese team not once but twice on their home soil, a Portuguese team that would have run over this year's Portugal

They couldn't beat Greece, what makes you think they could "run over" this year's Portugal team which is every bit as good defensively while also having more individual talent than Greece 04

Sorry but it makes no sense what you're saying

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The annoying part about this is people are going to treat this Euro win as if Ronaldo contributed in that game when he wasn't even the reason why Portugal won (basically the opposite of what happened with Messi and the Copa/WC).

Ronaldo contributed to his team making it there. Having suffered an injury early into the game shouldn't change anything. He earned/won that trophy just as much as the rest of his team.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Yep. Same when people say that Cristiano should win the Ballon d'Or since Portugal won but shouldn't have won the BdO if Portugal had lost. Why does the result of a single game in which he barely played and did so little either way make such an impact on an individual award?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Yeah except they of course never would have been in the final without Ronaldo. Heck, they may not have qualified in the first place.

And of course it bears pointing out that Messi played poorly in the World Cup final and did miss his penalty in the Copa final. While obviously it's unfair to pin the losses solely on him, it would also be wrong to claim that he had no part in Argentina losing those key games.

I know Messi is some kind of autist but fanboys are white knighting for that guy like he's their little brother with Down or something rather than a multi-millionaire fully capable of handling his affairs and standing up for himself.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Had Messi been injured for the final and Argentina won the final would Messi be called out as fraud by some? Pretty sure Ronaldo fanboy would have said so..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad