Euro: Euro 2016 Final: France vs. Portugal, 7/10/2016

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not as if Clattenburg was top class, 30 seconds before, he managed to whistle a FK and a yellow on Koscielny because Eder handed the ball :facepalm:

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Seen the goal again. It's not a foul. None of it is. Koscielny is closer to fouling than Eder is.

IMO it wasn't a clear cut foul, it's one of those type of contacts that is not called consistently. I wonder if Koscielny wasn't a bit tentative in handling Eder because of the phantom yellow a minute before.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Not as if Clattenburg was top class, 30 seconds before, he managed to whistle a FK and a yellow on Koscielny because Eder handed the ball :facepalm:

That's true.

But the contact was both ways on that goal which should be a play on. He could have easily called for an advantage while Kos was holding back Eder WHILE he was in possession.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Had he not been carded minutes before, he would have stopped Eder. That's the real thing I'd be mad about.
Oh I'm mad about a lot of things. If Griezmann had managed to target his header on Coman's cross, we wouldn't be talking.
If Gignac had managed to shoot in a wide open net instead of the post at the 91st, we wouldn't be talking.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Wow, on Tsn speculating Lloris got a bit injured his right leg/knee when he crashed in the side netting for the free kick, causing him to not be able to fully extend for the Eder shot. That phantom call on Koscielny again.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Portugal had, what, one win in regulation the entire tournament?

That has to be an all-time low for a Euro champion. :laugh:

It is for sure.

Then their final goal scored by a player who would never see the field for Portugal at any other point in their history, but that's how they win their first tournament in history. We've entered bizarro world.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
A Dinamo Zagreb player gets a Euro winners trophy, I'm sure they will go gaga over that :laugh:

Boring final as expected, France didn't show up outside the opening 10-15 minutes. Portugal didn't play as poorly as Greece but this format allowed a team without a win in the group stage to make the knockout stage and Iceland's injury time goal bumped them to the "softer" bracket as well

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yeah, Portugal were playing somewhat more offensively than Greece in 2004.

But the Portugal team back then would have been much more deserving winners than this year's lot.

This title certainly lifts C.Ronaldo's stature in historic terms.

Rui Patricio had a great match and Pepe had a great tournament as a whole.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, Portugal were playing somewhat more offensively than Greece in 2004.

But the Portugal team back then would have been much more deserving winners than this year's lot.

This title certainly lifts C.Ronaldo's stature in historic terms.

Rui Patricio had a great match and Pepe had a great tournament as a whole.

I think it's hilarious that, after all these years of Ronaldo coming up short on the pitch with Portugal, they finally manage to win while he's on the sidelines and ineffective. :laugh:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I see "fouls" like that every week at the level I watch. Never called. Calling that would be ridiculous.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Bitterly disappointed with this result. Portugal played well but classic tournament this was not. France have only themselves to blame tho... I thought they could have been a lot better in the final third.

Ironic that Ronaldo has his major international trophy while Messi is still waiting for his.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow, on Tsn speculating Lloris got a bit injured his right leg/knee when he crashed in the side netting for the free kick, causing him to not be able to fully extend for the Eder shot. That phantom call on Koscielny again.

Shocking really the degree to which these French reports are crying about getting beaten clean on the winner.

Connecting the two, and trying to blame the winning goal on an injury incurred during the miscalled penalty kick is frankly galling. (not saying you)

Let Portugal celebrate their championship instead of myriad inventions on how France lost.

The shot on the winning goal was against the grain, hammered in where the goalie had not original expected it to go, and he was caught standing flat footed on it for an instant thus resulting in him being late to the ball. A splendidly taken rocket of a shot.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Portugal-Greece comparisons as well come off like so many sour grapes. I have no vested interest, I'm a German fan, but to deride a splendid Portugal win in the final IN FRANCE and without RONALDO is just beyond the pale.

Portugal won, and in fine style.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They showed the whole sequence, with Lloris jumping around and favouring his right leg in the minute between the free kick and the goal.

His push off was fine on the winning goal. He didn't know which way the shot was headed. Momentarily got freezed perhaps thinking it was going the other way.

Funnier still that Lloris, claiming injury, didn't get a hand on either ball. Maybe he was injured earlier..:sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
CnCLLW_WYAEeF7l.jpg

CnCLLXKWEAAxsO-.jpg

So similar these two, in more ways than one...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
France is pathetic, having to purposely injury Portugals' best player by a slewfoot and they still lost. :laugh: With Eder scoring out of all the strikers on Earth. ****in' Eder.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well, Ronaldo injury removes the counter. Penalty kicks are their only hope. France better score before that.

So much wrong with this post.:popcorn:;)

Nor is this isolated. A dozen posters, easily, should be lining up to eat crow about now.

How is it that people think a national side, and a reasonable one at that, has nobody beyond one player capable of scoring?

Even the broadcast commentary often succumbs to this. "The most unlikeliest of scorers" Its very misleading. Ironic that Eder had some of the best Portugal scoring chances and the goal, and Gignac for France. Both players that weren't fancied. AS is so often the case in international football the big goals can come from anywhere. Just glad it was a brilliantly taken goal with the player intending to do exactly what he did and executing to perfection.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->