Euro: Euro 2016 Final: France vs. Portugal, 7/10/2016

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
well, at least we can all agree that by far this will go down as one of the least memorable Euros in memory.

by the way, for those that watched it. I'm curious to know how did Denmark compare to this Portuguese team?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Denmark was remarkable. They were last minute invitees and played without pressure. They never played 90 minutes defense.

One of the most likeable tournaments ever IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France has a shot, no doubt. Add potentially Varane, Sakho, Laporte, Zouma, Ben Arfa, Benzema, Fekir, Lacazette, Dembélé, etc...

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
So, anyone think any of these two finalists have a legit shot at winning the WC in two years?:laugh:

Portugals team will be different. Players like Raphael, William Carvalho, Renato Sanches, Cedric, and Joao Mario will be returning starters. Ronaldo MAYBE but players like Rafa Silva, Goncalo Guedes, Bernardo Silva, and Nelson Olivera pushing for time. Pepe will be 35 Ronaldo 33

Right now I see

Patricio
Raphael-??????????-???????????-Cedric
William Carvalho-Bernardo Silva
Joao Mario-Renato Sanches-Andre Gomes
?????????

Going to need to find 2 Center Backs and at forward hopefully on of Ivan Cavaleiro/Nelson Olivera/Rafa Silva develop into a real #9 with Ronaldo coming in later in the game if needed. Would love to See Portugal go straight Youngins in the Confed cup next year to see how they do

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Denmark was remarkable. They were last minute invitees and played without pressure. They never played 90 minutes defense.

Yup. They just had fun out there; very enjoyable tournament

I was disappointed when Yougoslavia was removed from the tournament, because I felt they could win Euro, but Denmark's cinderella story made up for it

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Portugals team will be different. Players like Raphael, William Carvalho, Renato Sanches, Cedric, and Joao Mario will be returning starters. Ronaldo MAYBE but players like Rafa Silva, Goncalo Guedes, Bernardo Silva, and Nelson Olivera pushing for time. Pepe will be 35 Ronaldo 33

Right now I see

Patricio
?????????

Going to need to find 2 Center Backs and at forward hopefully on of Ivan Cavaleiro/Nelson Olivera/Rafa Silva develop into a real #9 with Ronaldo coming in later in the game if needed. Would love to See Portugal go straight Youngins in the Confed cup next year to see how they do

??????????? = Pepe for sure bar injury.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
How can anyone take me seriously, while you're admitting you didn't even see the games? :laugh:
We're plenty here to have seen the games.
And France lost to both teams, so no agenda here.

I understand that English may not be your first language, and it's also my 3rd, but can you please let me know where I may have made it seem like I hadn't watched the Euro 2004 tournament?

I ask this because I have the entire tournament on VHS cassettes. I started recording every game of major tournaments in 2000 where a 15 year old me cheered on Portugal as they got absolutely screwed by France in the semi-finals. To this day, I have a hard time finding footage of the save by Barthez right at the end of the game off a corner kick that would have sent us through to the final.

I have not watched Portugal - Greece (the final) since I re-watched the game a few weeks after letting my anger and frustration calm down, so it has been a few years...I prefer to watch the game against England and re-live the moments I spent in a packed bar in downtown Toronto with various friends of mine and the penalty shoot-out.

If your memories of the tournament are anything like your understanding that I admitted to never watching the tournament, then you make my entire argument for me.

Sounds very much like the Germany - France 2016 semi-final game.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Right now I see

Patricio
?????????

One of those defense spots will likely be taken up by Daniel Carriço.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Only if they play Argentina in the finals and the game goes to penalties!!!
timthumb.php

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I understand that English may not be your first language, and it's also my 3rd, but can you please let me know where I may have made it seem like I hadn't watched the Euro 2004 tournament?
Everything in your post. You're trying to give us stts that prove that Portugal didn't play all out D like Greece did, while in fact they did so several times, at times MUCH worse than Greece which had tougher opponents.

So really the fact you're even trying to argue proves you haven't watch the games.

Or you're being dishonest. Take your pick.

Sounds very much like the Germany - France 2016 semi-final game.

Since France had just in the first 5 minutes of the semi final a better chance to score than Portugal through 90 minutes in the final, I'll let that pathetic lie attempt go once more.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Everything in your post. You're trying to give us stts that prove that Portugal didn't play all out D like Greece did, while in fact they did so several times, at times MUCH worse than Greece which had tougher opponents.

So really the fact you're even trying to argue proves you haven't watch the games.

Or you're being dishonest. Take your pick.

Since France had just in the first 5 minutes of the semi final a better chance to score than Portugal through 90 minutes in the final, I'll let that pathetic lie attempt go once more.

I don't know what Portugal and it's strategy in the final after having lost one of if not the best player in the world has to do with the game between France and Germany.

Anyway, after getting home and turning on CNN to laugh at Trump some more, I see that there has been another cowardly attack in France.

Hope none of your family or friends have been affected. This world is filled with pathetic excuses for people....

I'm glad that Portugal won the Euro, but at the same time it's great to have France make it to the final considering what they have had to suffer through in the last 2 years.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just heard, another idiot attacking in France. RIP to those that were killed by that lunatic.

Hopefully our resident French HFers are all safe and sound.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, I'm abroad.
Thanks for the words, unfortunately, I can't see it end anytime soon...

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
So, anyone think any of these two finalists have a legit shot at winning the WC in two years?:laugh:

Factor in Ruben Neves, Bernardo Silva, Gelson Martins, Joao Cancelo, Nelson Semedo, Andre Silva and Jose Gomes, Marcos Lopes etc

And our already young players in the squad growing..

We can be a great darkhorse.

Just hope Fernando Santos actually plays a more expansive attractive style because we have a few great generations coming up (Just won the u17 euros in style this summer, another solid team in the u19's even though theyre missing Neves and Renato Sanches)

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Factor in Ruben Neves, Bernardo Silva, Gelson Martins, Joao Cancelo, Nelson Semedo, Andre Silva and Jose Gomes, Marcos Lopes etc

And our already young players in the squad growing..

We can be a great darkhorse.

Just hope Fernando Santos actually plays a more expansive attractive style because we have a few great generations coming up (Just won the u17 euros in style this summer, another solid team in the u19's even though theyre missing Neves and Renato Sanches)

Kinda sucks that Ronaldo bridged what some people are considering 2 of Portuguese Futbol's greatest generations instead of being in the middle of them

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kinda sucks that Ronaldo bridged what some people are considering 2 of Portuguese Futbol's greatest generations instead of being in the middle of them

The 'Ronaldo' era has still been the most successful in Portuguese history. Sometimes it happens like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad