Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Lost revenue from missed ticket sales is the excuse you are citing for decreased spending, no?

The questions all directly address the validity of your point.

I haven't taken any positions on the subject. I picked a flaw in someone's argument and presented an opinion backed by fact. I don't know how you managed to extrapolate so much out of that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ticket price regular season, compared to ticket price playoffs (round by round). Also parking regular season vs. playoffs.
I think the game with the lowest attendance they had only 2 days to sell the tickets (2nd round I believe).
When you want to talk about other markets, the sens where not the only ones not selling out every game. Also comparable franchises like TB in regards to market size have a , let's say completely different approach of running a franchise.
Who, except the senators under Melnyk, would run a franchise like this?

The guy can't afford it, nothing to do with some empty seats.
Let's say somebody would pay him 700Mio, another franchise would come up for sale at a reasonable price...EM would not be able to afford it. Now take selling and buying out of this, still not able to afford it...it's as simple as that, no need to come up with excuses for this guy.

Every team raises the prices of their tickets from the regular season to the playoffs and then continually increase them the further the team goes in the playoffs.

Also, I'm not arguing how the franchise is run. I already said that there are many other things to complain about with the way Melnyk runs this team. I just don't understand why you guys need to fabricate additional reasons, as if there weren't plenty already. Make your argument but use actual facts and data, especially when it comes to something like ticket prices.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I haven't taken any positions on the subject. I picked a flaw in someone's argument and presented an opinion backed by fact. I don't know how you managed to extrapolate so much out of that.
So the missed ticket sales is a brought up for what purpose?

Reactions: RaMai

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Every team raises the prices of their tickets from the regular season to the playoffs and then continually increase them the further the team goes in the playoffs.

Also, I'm not arguing how the franchise is run. I already said that there are many other things to complain about with the way Melnyk runs this team. I just don't understand why you guys need to fabricate additional reasons, as if there weren't plenty already. Make your argument but use actual facts and data, especially when it comes to something like ticket prices.

You guys point out every single chance you get that the fan base does not support the team enough, the not sold out playoff games are always cited.
All I said is it was not necessary to have these optics, by correctly evaluating how to sell out and maximize profit.
It was not the fans fault, it was the fault of the people in charge of the franchise.

Reactions: topshelf15

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This is a post from the 2017 playoffs that had resale values for every playoff team's home games. You can see for yourself where Ottawa is with its "jacked up prices", 13 of 16 and almost $100 cheaper per ticket than the next closest Canadian team, Calgary.

This is an inexpensive team to watch live when compared to other NHL markets. Period. I don't know why it's up for debate. You guys have so many other arguments to use when it comes to how Melnyk operates this team, but criticizing his ticket pricing is a truly bizarre one when you consider the facts.

This is a chart showing the overall prices of playoff tickets, not the difference between regular season and playoff prices.

A seat in section 314, for example, was $110 against Pittsburgh (that's what I paid to go, buying tickets from the team). A ticket in that same seat during the regular season was $53. That's a 107% increase.

The Senators attendance issues are their own doing. Yes, there are market challenges. But this management group has gone out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot, over and over again.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You guys point out every single chance you get that the fan base does not support the team enough, the not sold out playoff games are always cited.
All I said is it was not necessary to have these optics, by correctly evaluating how to sell out and maximize profit.
It was not the fans fault, it was the fault of the people in charge of the franchise.

Didn't make a single comment about the fan base during this exchange. I've simply pointed out that according to the data Ottawa is one of the cheapest teams to attend both during the regular season and playoffs. You seem to believe otherwise or else you wouldn't have mentioned "jacked up ticket pricing" during your rambling.

Reactions: coladin

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think Melnyk thinks the only way fans will be happy with him is if he spends to the cap. He doesn’t have to for my approval. If he would just provide the team with his budget of X dollars and then stay out of it I would be happy. But he doesn’t do that, he gets involved in hockey decisions and gets up on the mic and embarrasses the entire organizations. Just put up as much money as you can and stay home in your Mansion in Barbados and let the GM do his job like other more successful budget owners do.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaMai

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Perspective really. I see a small market budget team that has to walk a razors edge to compete.

And I see an overly eager buffoon like owner who loves the sound of his own voice. He’s a super fan with all of the same roller coaster emotions. It would be endearing if his personality was different, or he spent tonthe cap every year.

Lack of strategic spending is the root cause of virtually all the things that ail the organization in my opinion.

Lmao at melnyk being a superfan.

The only thing he cares about is making himself look good.

Reactions: Acidrain66

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This is a chart showing the overall prices of playoff tickets, not the difference between regular season and playoff prices.

A seat in section 314, for example, was $110 against Pittsburgh (that's what I paid to go, buying tickets from the team). A ticket in that same seat during the regular season was $53. That's a 107% increase.

The Senators attendance issues are their own doing. Yes, there are market challenges. But this management group has gone out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot, over and over again.

That type of pricing per round is typical in every market.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dreger insinuating that Senators players feel the same way fans do about the "announcement." We'll believe it when we see it.

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-don-t-plan-to-sit-duchene-or-stone-1.1259532

“Now is that two years, is it three years? Melnyk says that he’s going to start spending to the cap in 2021. Well, I’ll believe it when I see it, and I think that’s kind of the way that most – even those employed by the Ottawa Senators – look at it.

Reactions: topshelf15

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
This strategy has been put in to practice many many times... It's followed up with said business going under.
Smart restaurant reworks the menu, adjusts portion sizes, lowers prices and hopes that by filling the restaurant, volume will return profits (or even more alcohol sales which is hugely profitable).

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad