Eugene Melnyk Pledges to spend near salary cap: FYOUS Edition

Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The sad part is that this would be a small step forward and something that I am sure the fanbase may actually appreciate.
I think it would ba a big waste of time and only further make a mockery of this organization. It won't go down well in Ottawa. Actions will speak louder than any apology.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Here's something you might find interesting. I came across this in Murray Pam's recent article about the Sens and the deadline.

I put the really important part in bold.

This is all common sense, but thanks for posting it basically from the horses mouth. What it doesn’t do is explain why EK specifically chose not to sign, which was my point.

Obviously EK didn’t want his agent to negotiate with the team, that was his choice. There are several reasons, realistic and not, as to why that would be, but it’s all speculation unless the player shares.

My point was that when it actually comes down to the bare bones, we don’t know exactly why EK chose not to, just like we will like not likely ever know why exactly Stone and Duchene may choose not to. Personally I don’t find it intellectually honest to simply decide that it must have been EM’s fault because we don’t like him, and then treat that as a fact. It’s a possibility for sure, but I like to know these things for sure, even just for interests sake.

That article pretty much covers all of the typical sports related reasons, while there could of course be many more personal related reasons.

Still an interesting read, thanks!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think it would ba a big waste of time and only further make a mockery of this organization. It won't go down well in Ottawa. Actions will speak louder than any apology.

I think you're right on with this honestly, too much has gone down in the last couple of years, I'm sure an apology would fall on deaf ears. Post-outdoor game comments it may have worked, but not at this point.

Reactions: coladin

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Fans of other teams just don’t care enough about other teams to look at you as the laughing stock. .
I live in a city outside of Ottawa that is about equal Sens, Habs and Leafs fans.

This comment of yours is categorically false.
Any time I discuss hockey at the ODR, at my mens league, to friends, and to newly met strangers, if the Senators get brought up, the discussion revolves around Meknyk, finances, and how the organization is a joke. When Leafs/Habs fans learn you are a Sens fan, Melnyk is the first thing that comes up, I even get people saying sorry to me for the state of the franchise and how hard it has to be right now being a fan of them.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is all common sense, but thanks for posting it basically from the horses mouth. What it doesn’t do is explain why EK specifically chose not to sign, which was my point.

Obviously EK didn’t want his agent to negotiate with the team, that was his choice. There are several reasons, realistic and not, as to why that would be, but it’s all speculation unless the player shares.

My point was that when it actually comes down to the bare bones, we don’t know exactly why EK chose not to, just like we will like not likely ever know why exactly Stone and Duchene may choose not to. Personally I don’t find it intellectually honest to simply decide that it must have been EM’s fault because we don’t like him, and then treat that as a fact. It’s a possibility for sure, but I like to know these things for sure, even just for interests sake.

That article pretty much covers all of the typical sports related reasons, while there could of course be many more personal related reasons.

Here is what YOU had to say on the owner creating issues for the Sens.

This straw man needs to die, no one thinks our issues haven’t sprung from the owner almost exclusively.

Reactions: Relapsing

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

The actions speak very loud the last couple of years, the fan bases reaction as well...but still, for the spinners it's the empty seats during the run.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

Who do you think is stupid enough to talk about it after leaving this pile of smoking dump? Melnyk is suing people left and right, even ones he wants to do business with. Not every team is a income tax heaven or has summer all year, but no other team is hurting itself and calls out it's customers!
Instead of whining about the 1000 seats unsold for some playoff games this pos should have thanked every single one in attendance paying his jacked up prices to see Guy Boucher hockey.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who do you think is stupid enough to talk about it after leaving this pile of smoking dump? Melnyk is suing people left and right, even ones he wants to do business with. Not every team is a income tax heaven or has summer all year, but no other team is hurting itself and calls out it's customers!
Instead of whining about the 1000 seats unsold for some playoff games this pos should have thanked every single one in attendance paying his jacked up prices to see Guy Boucher hockey.

Not only does your rant not make a whole lot of sense, but it also has nothing to do with anything that I posted.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

This is one of the cheapest teams in the NHL to watch live...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Ottawa didn't sell out an ECF game. Fine. For a number of reasons, the market wasn't buying what the Senators were selling at that time.

The responsibility to correct a sales shortage lies solely on the business, not on the consumer.

No business has ever flourished by blaming or attempting to guilt trip customers into purchasing its product. None.

Why Melnyk and co. continue to believe that the Ottawa Senators are an exception, I will never understand.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ottawa didn't sell out an ECF game. Fine. For a number of reasons, the market wasn't buying what the Senators were selling at that time.

The responsibility to correct a sales shortage lies solely on the business, not on the consumer.

No business has ever flourished by blaming or attempting to guilt trip customers into purchasing its product. None.

Why Melnyk and co. continue to believe that the Ottawa Senators are an exception, I will never understand.

Ottawa didn't sell out one playoff game, during a playoff run where ticket prices were jacked up. The horror!

Same thing happened in Winnipeg:

It's not even that it's just a single - take a look at the Seat Exchange and people can't even sell for face value. If you bought from Ticketmaster I think you're unfortunately going to have to take a hit.
There are hundreds of tickets on SeatExchange right now, and seats on Ticketmaster that are completely unsold. There's no way this game is going to sell out (and there's no way Saturday's was as there were many still on Ticketmaster at 5:30).
It's unfortunate and kind of frustrating to watch, from a fan perspective. I'm lucky to have season tickets and can buy them at a more "reasonable" cost, but in terms of "face value" they've priced themselves out of the market for the average Winnipegger (and clearly out of the market of interest altogether for non-elimination games).

Guess they can't keep Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You don’t have to live in Ottawa anymore to be able to read and process everything that’s going on, and when I see how the board in here has crowded out virtually everyone who isn’t singled mindedly hating on the Sens at all opportunities. I don’t think I’m the problem, just like I don’t think you guys represent the fanbase as a whole.

You are completely out of touch with the fanbase and have resorted to fantasy scenarios where people only say negative things about Melnyk/Dorion because of the meanies on this board

You continue to misinterpret Sens fans pointing out the myriad of negative impacts Melnyk has on the franchise as an attack on the Sens.

Melnyk (and his lapdog Dorion) are NOT the Sens. Pointing out their systematic destruction of the franchise is NOT an attack on the Sens.

You aren't defending the Sens. You are acting as an apologist for Melnyk.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What does their TV contract have to do with someone complaining about "paying jacked up prices" to watch the team live?
Revenue is revenue, no matter the source.

The Sens have solid revenues. Unfortunately Melnyk has chosen to waste a good portion of that revenue servicing debt he loaded on the team.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ottawa didn't sell out one playoff game, during a playoff run where ticket prices were jacked up. The horror!

Same thing happened in Winnipeg:

Guess they can't keep Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien...

Reminds of my sister in law. She bought all 14 wjc games as a package in Vic this year for her husbands birthday...

She bought a single ticket package...

Who does that!!! She could barely sell the ones he didn’t go to because no one wants a single ticket

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Exactly!!!!

Today I was reading about how Tim Hortons is doing poorly. Why? Because they've been cutting corners, dramatically reducing the quality of the product, etc ever since 3G capital bought them and started squeezing every penny out. Now what used to be a Canadian icon is utter garbage, and people refuse to go there anymore. Are people going to blame the consumer? No. f*** that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad