• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I live in a city outside of Ottawa that is about equal Sens, Habs and Leafs fans.

This comment of yours is categorically false.
Any time I discuss hockey at the ODR, at my mens league, to friends, and to newly met strangers, if the Senators get brought up, the discussion revolves around Meknyk, finances, and how the organization is a joke. When Leafs/Habs fans learn you are a Sens fan, Melnyk is the first thing that comes up, I even get people saying sorry to me for the state of the franchise and how hard it has to be right now being a fan of them.
I just went to Playa Del Carmen for a destination wedding that had almost exclusively Canadians staying at the resort. There was a sports bar there where I'd go most nights for a drink before dinner and I'd chat with people. Lots of Leafs and Jets fans. The look of horror and sympathy they had for me when I told them I was a Sens fan was pretty funny. One night I was at the Benni Hanna type restaurant there and a foursome from Manitoba sat beside us. One guy got very upset when I mentioned the Sens. He was early 20s, and grew up a Sens fan and has since converted his allegiances to the Jets after Karlsson left. That pissed him off enough to hit the breaking point.

Even some guy I was talking to from Boston was asking me what in the hell was going on with the Sens when i said i was from Ottawa.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Not only does your rant not make a whole lot of sense, but it also has nothing to do with anything that I posted.

What it doesn’t do is explain why EK specifically chose not to sign, which was my point.

From your post, no? All I'm saying is nobody will do you that favor and tell you straight, lot's of indications tough...i.e. July Turris, but you choose to ignore that. You also choose not to understand what others are trying to tell you. So keep doing you and leave me to me rants.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What it doesn’t do is explain why EK specifically chose not to sign, which was my point.

From your post, no? All I'm saying is nobody will do you that favor and tell you straight, lot's of indications tough...i.e. July Turris, but you choose to ignore that. You also choose not to understand what others are trying to tell you. So keep doing you and leave me to me rants.

I understand the speculation, and it can be fun to do, but it stops at us pretending that we actually know. That’s how I look at it. The problem is that the speculation becomes fact, and then all kinds of other opinions start being based in it, like Stone and Duchene wanting out for the same ‘reason’.

The truth is, it’s absolutly fair for star players to want out of a rebuild situation as they approach UFA. There doesn’t have to be a bunch of high school drama attached.

As for J Turris, she is a social media peddler. She has made some noise and said absolutely nothing, until she actually shared some dirt, I’ll pay her no mind.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ottawa didn't sell out an ECF game. Fine. For a number of reasons, the market wasn't buying what the Senators were selling at that time.

The responsibility to correct a sales shortage lies solely on the business, not on the consumer.

No business has ever flourished by blaming or attempting to guilt trip customers into purchasing its product. None.

Why Melnyk and co. continue to believe that the Ottawa Senators are an exception, I will never understand.
Really? They weren't buying what Karlsson and Co, was selling during the playoff rune? Are you serious?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sure bud, you're the NHL Economist...that's why you're posting here. And you evaluate other posters too - should I say thanks now?

If you want, but I didn't explain to you NHL economics. Yet.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I understand the speculation, and it can be fun to do, but it stops at us pretending that we actually know. That’s how I look at it. The problem is that the speculation becomes fact, and then all kinds of other opinions start being based in it, like Stone and Duchene wanting out for the same ‘reason’.

The truth is, it’s absolutly fair for star players to want out of a rebuild situation as they approach UFA. There doesn’t have to be a bunch of high school drama attached.

As for J Turris, she is a social media peddler. She has made some noise and said absolutely nothing, until she actually shared some dirt, I’ll pay her no mind.

It's not just Julie. Kyle Turris said it bluntly that ownership was the issue.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Really? They weren't buying what Karlsson and Co, was selling during the playoff rune? Are you serious?

I know I don't understand NHL economics (thanks again!), but should the people in charge of the franchise not understand?
Maybe adjust to whatever is causing the empty seats, actively trying to sell them in the, sometimes, tight window to sell them.
Hard to do with one of the smallest front office.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know I don't understand NHL economics (thanks again!), but should the people in charge of the franchise not understand?
Maybe adjust to whatever is causing the empty seats, actively trying to sell them in the, sometimes, tight window to sell them.
Hard to do with one of the smallest front office.

Oh, they did. They brought in some bigwig , with a big game reputation from Toronto who suggested tarps. And better hotdogs. One out of two ain't bad.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's not just Julie. Kyle Turris said it bluntly that ownership was the issue.

I remember most of the drama, but maybe I missed that.

I mean PD seemed to have not been willing to meet KTs price, and then used him to get Duchene. I seem to remember KT alluding the team wanting to keep him, but the owner not giving the ok for that expenditure. Is that what you mean?

Would have been nice to have had both in the end somehow, but that doesn’t look to have fit the budget.

While I wish we would have spent more, I don’t really feel comfortable being spiteful towards someone for not spending enough money on entertaining me, especially when it involves taking a loss. On the other hand I would not want KTs current deal on the books either.

I’m starting to come around to the idea of trading them all away and starting fresh. If this new promise of money is true, I suspect that somone else is coming on board, otherwise where is it coming from? If that’s the case, a from the ground rebuild with money on the horizon could be exactly what we need.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I remember most of the drama, but maybe I missed that.

I mean PD seemed to have not been willing to meet KTs price, and then used him to get Duchene. I seem to remember KT alluding the team wanting to keep him, but the owner not giving the ok for that expenditure. Is that what you mean?

Would have been nice to have had both in the end somehow, but that doesn’t look to have fit the budget.

While I wish we would have spent more, I don’t really feel comfortable being spiteful towards someone for not spending enough money on entertaining me, especially when it involves taking a loss. On the other hand I would not want KTs current deal on the books either.

I’m starting to come around to the idea of trading them all away and starting fresh. If this new promise of money is true, I suspect that somone else is coming on board, otherwise where is it coming from? If that’s the case, a from the ground rebuild with money on the horizon could be exactly what we need.

When did Eugene ever follow through on this? Even if he would bring in a minority partner, where do you get the optimism he would spend?
I guess we can both agree that the last tv deal for the senators brought in lot's of new money, did he reinvest it? Or the money made from the very deep playoff run, replacing methot with oduya and hoping for the best.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I just went to Playa Del Carmen for a destination wedding that had almost exclusively Canadians staying at the resort. There was a sports bar there where I'd go most nights for a drink before dinner and I'd chat with people. Lots of Leafs and Jets fans. The look of horror and sympathy they had for me when I told them I was a Sens fan was pretty funny. One night I was at the Benni Hanna type restaurant there and a foursome from Manitoba sat beside us. One guy got very upset when I mentioned the Sens. He was early 20s, and grew up a Sens fan and has since converted his allegiances to the Jets after Karlsson left. That pissed him off enough to hit the breaking point.

Even some guy I was talking to from Boston was asking me what in the hell was going on with the Sens when i said i was from Ottawa.

They must all read this board because otherwise how could they know about all the crap that we, the vocal minority, spew on a daily basis? :sarcasm:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, I don’t subscribe to the ‘fans are the vicitms’ Story line so we can leave this here I think.
Agree to disagree, but I don't ascribe to the 'fans are victims' storyline either. I ascribe to the 'The Ottawa Senators are a very poorly run business' storyline, because it's verifiable by more than conjecture and speculation.

Reactions: Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agree to disagree, but I don't ascribe to the 'fans are victims' storyline either. I ascribe to the 'The Ottawa Senators are a very poorly run business' storyline, because it's verifiable by more than conjecture and speculation.

Perspective really. I see a small market budget team that has to walk a razors edge to compete.

And I see an overly eager buffoon like owner who loves the sound of his own voice. He’s a super fan with all of the same roller coaster emotions. It would be endearing if his personality was different, or he spent tonthe cap every year.

Lack of strategic spending is the root cause of virtually all the things that ail the organization in my opinion.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I was talking about the unsold tickets during the playoff run, not ticket prices in general. I thought that was obvious...

This is a post from the 2017 playoffs that had resale values for every playoff team's home games. You can see for yourself where Ottawa is with its "jacked up prices", 13 of 16 and almost $100 cheaper per ticket than the next closest Canadian team, Calgary.

This is an inexpensive team to watch live when compared to other NHL markets. Period. I don't know why it's up for debate. You guys have so many other arguments to use when it comes to how Melnyk operates this team, but criticizing his ticket pricing is a truly bizarre one when you consider the facts.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is a post from the 2017 playoffs that had resale values for every playoff team's home games. You can see for yourself where Ottawa is with its "jacked up prices", 13 of 16 and almost $100 cheaper per ticket than the next closest Canadian team, Calgary.

This is an inexpensive team to watch live when compared to other NHL markets. Period. I don't know why it's up for debate. You guys have so many other arguments to use when it comes to how Melnyk operates this team, but criticizing his ticket pricing is a truly bizarre one when you consider the facts.

Did the Sens make money the year they went to the ECF?

Did Melnyk promise to "spend when they were ready to compete"?

Did Melnyk spend to the cap in the year following the ECF?

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

Ticket price regular season, compared to ticket price playoffs (round by round). Also parking regular season vs. playoffs.
I think the game with the lowest attendance they had only 2 days to sell the tickets (2nd round I believe).
When you want to talk about other markets, the sens where not the only ones not selling out every game. Also comparable franchises like TB in regards to market size have a , let's say completely different approach of running a franchise.
Who, except the senators under Melnyk, would run a franchise like this?

The guy can't afford it, nothing to do with some empty seats.
Let's say somebody would pay him 700Mio, another franchise would come up for sale at a reasonable price...EM would not be able to afford it. Now take selling and buying out of this, still not able to afford it...it's as simple as that, no need to come up with excuses for this guy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Ticket prices are silly cheap: $35 gets you a decent ticket and two slices of pizza. If anything the prices are too low for how the cap has grown.

This is the hope with Lebreton: be able to raise ticket prices without harming attendance. If that happens then we are set.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad