Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear traded to Carolina for Warren Foegele

What Are Your Thoughts on the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
There is literally no room for the guy. Barrie, Ceci, Bouchard, Lagesson, Broberg. Honestly, I liked Lagesson's game more than Bears last year. EDIT: sorry, thought Lagesson was a RHD when I posted this. Still, the motive for the trade is pretty clear.

Honestly mind boggling how people do not understand WHY this deal was done. Shipped a position of strength, for one of extreme weakness.
Exactly....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Happy with this trade for Ethan. It puts him in a situation where he's going to get a good chance to develop his offensive game at the NHL level while being properly sheltered. That just wasn't going to happen here with Bouchard on the roster.

I love this trade for us. We finally developed a defenseman that could return someone of equal age and good value. Foegele is awesome. A speedy, high energy winger for the third line, still just 25.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Bear will do well for himself in Carolina and I wish him the best of luck.

I think the bigger issues were (a) the Oiler D just has to get physically bigger and they already have one undersized defenseman in Barrie.
(b) A lot of very good D-man Oiler prospects will be pushing for roster spots in the next few years and (rightly or wrongly) the Oilers project them to be better players than Bear.

Another forward now with questionable finishing abilities? Well, perhaps he explodes in an Oiler uniform.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Bear was a bottom pairing d-man last year
Yeap.

The unfortunate part of this, is that Barrie is a veteran who needs sheltering.
Then we ran Bear and Bouchard who also need a bit of sheltering.

Larsson was our only guy who could handle tougher minutes, but at least we were slowly developing Bear to do that as well.

Now our right side has nobody who can play hard minutes, and we're looking at Cody Ceci for that???

I feel like we finally won a trade but it is hard seeing Bear go.
You should see the market for Right-shot Dman before you make that claim.

ENTdoc

Feb 2, 2021
Hope Bear thrives in Carolina
Seems like a solid young man
And glad he is going to a different division in case he reaches his full potential

Reactions: Mr Positive

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Reimer to SJ.

Looks like it's going to be Edmonton or Buffalo decision for Ullmark.

Chance to win, plus decent $, or more $ to stay on a team that's fading fast...

The Oilers might be able to get him at a lower AAV than I first though. 4-5 year term between 4-4.5M would be awesome.

space321

May 11, 2011
Wow we gave up on Bear way too early

At least Foegele is decent? Idk what his contract will look like but hopefully 15g in the bottom 6 next year isn't too much of an ask.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I like Foegele.

Not sure how I feel about moving Bear for him.

Definitely don't like downgrading Bear to Ceci.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we don't get Foegele an actual 3rd line center...that would totally be Oilers. Trade a guy like Bear for a third liner and pair him with 4th liners and be confused why he is putting up 4th line numbers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Reimer to SJ.

Looks like it's going to be Edmonton or Buffalo decision for Ullmark.

Chance to win, plus decent $, or more $ to stay on a team that's fading fast...

The Oilers might be able to get him at a lower AAV than I first though. 4-5 year term between 4-4.5M would be awesome.
Ullmark will stay in Buffalo, Kuemper trade will fall thru

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bear was a really solid and likeable guy. I'll miss seeing him on the team, but the reality is that when you are trying to win you can't have too much youth to develop at the same time. Hopefully Foegele goes a long ways into improving our bottom 6.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Love some of the Oilers fan logic here: I've heard of Bear but never heard of Foegele, therefore this is a terrible trade.

I have heard of Foegle--my concern is that he has arbitration rights and if he files for it and wins? He was on 2.15 last year--he might try for 3. That pushes us into already using .750 of Klefboms LTIR before we sign Yams

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yeap.

The unfortunate part of this, is that Barrie is a veteran who needs sheltering.
Then we ran Bear and Bouchard who also need a bit of sheltering.

Larsson was our only guy who could handle tougher minutes, but at least we were slowly developing Bear to do that as well.

Now our right side has nobody who can play hard minutes, and we're looking at Cody Ceci for that???

You should see the market for Right-shot Dman before you make that claim.
Adam Larsson did not handle tough minutes lmao, Bear was the guy who had the highest QoC on the team overall the past 2 years.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bear was horrible last year. I dont see what all the hype has been about at all

Pretty much. My take is Bear will disappear in Carolina and be relegated to AHL or some other club. Don't even know why they would make the trade.

Foegele is a better player. Carolina will at least miss this player. How does any team miss the worst D in their lineup? Bear was awful most of the season and in playoffs. His game disappeared. Essentially he had one good season. Sure not gonna cry over this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad