Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For some reason I feel like Karlsson is a Rangers type signing. Might be a year too early with their rebuild but they’ll have capspace and I could see Karlsson liking Manhatten

Signing Karlsson is kinda going against the Rangers plan. They are on a mini- rebuild plan and are looking at adding players from within the organization. Panarin would be a better signing idea. If they are looking to
Add from FA.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If that's your bar then about 26 teams or so need to rebuild but that's just such a lazy argument to make.

I never said they needed to rebuild then. Or even right now this season with getting Karlsson, at least for the year. They might need one next year.

I said they fell off from the teams immediately preceding that won the division like five times in a row and had great seasons and seemed like one of the top, top Cup contenders for that entire half decade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I never said they needed to rebuild then. Or even right now this season with getting Karlsson, at least for the year. They might need one next year.

I said they fell off from the teams immediately preceding that won the division like five times in a row and had great seasons and seemed like one of the top, top Cup contenders for that entire half decade.

As someone who watched them entirely through these years in question, no they did not fall off from the teams that won the division. Other teams got better and they took it easier during the season. And no, they won't need one next year even if Karlsson walks.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
players stay in San Jose

Marleau?

That being said, I'd agree that there is a very good chance that he stays in San Jose, especially if he has a great experience there. Tampa and Vegas could be front runners too.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marleau?

That being said, I'd agree that there is a very good chance that he stays in San Jose, especially if he has a great experience there. Tampa and Vegas could be front runners too.

San Jose offered Marleau less term and money than Toronto. He probably would have stayed if they gave him the contract that Toronto did.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
San Jose offered Marleau less term and money than Toronto. He probably would have stayed if they gave him the contract that Toronto did.

Speculative, and irrelevant. He didn't stay in San Jose, as the other poster suggested... but no point in derailing this thread.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
No way SJ keeps him. Burns will be 34 this year, Pavelski 35,Thronton 62 lol.. Why would Karlsson sign at 8 year extension? Karlsson will sign in TB with Hedman.

SJ blew 2 first rounders and some B/C prospects for 1 year of Karlsson

Reactions: Altimus

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Marleau?

How is Marleau not evidence of players staying? He played there for 20 years lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He did after being with the GM of the team for 13 seasons and five different contracts. The one time that he chooses to leave after all that is not a sign of inability to retain players, you cherry-picker.

Ok Belfour left, Nabovkov, Niemi, Campbell, Erhoff, Larianov, Nolan, Whitney..... and so on.... They have a very good ability to retain players... but let's not pretend nobody ever chooses to leave. It's a possibility.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
he'd be able to play in a d-corp that has burns for the next 7yrs is it? they have a goaltender. they have couture locked up. even though thornton and pavelski arent longterm pieces they should be able to attract some forwards. I still dont get the asinine evander kane 7per deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ok Belfour left, Nabovkov, Niemi, Campbell, Erhoff, Larianov, Nolan, Whitney..... and so on.... They have a very good ability to retain players... but let's not pretend nobody ever chooses to leave. It's a possibility.

Belfour, Larionov, and Whitney were not under DW. Ehrhoff and Nolan were traded. They walked away from Nabokov and Niemi. Campbell was the only one who walked away under DW that they wanted to keep. Again, you're picking cherries. DW has a long history of keeping the players he wants to keep. Nobody ever argued it wasn't a possibility. Way to state the obvious and bring no real point to the discussion. Odds are heavily in DW and the Sharks favor that they keep Karlsson because he has shown numerous times over to retain talent when they want.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
As someone who watched them entirely through these years in question, no they did not fall off from the teams that won the division. Other teams got better and they took it easier during the season. And no, they won't need one next year even if Karlsson walks.

Hmm. If you were a fan of them at the time you would probably know better but I remember when I was younger those Sharks teams winning the Pacific almost every year and being 2 games away from the SCF two or three times during that span (Nabokov was in net, I remember because I thought he was good) and then the Ducks and Kings taking over for the years after that and San Jose making much less noise in both regular and postseason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hmm. If you were a fan of them at the time you would probably know better but I remember when I was younger those Sharks teams winning the Pacific almost every year and being 2 games away from the SCF two or three times during that span (Nabokov was in net, I remember because I thought he was good) and then the Ducks and Kings taking over for the years after that and San Jose making much less noise in both regular and postseason.

They were never two games away from the SCF during that era unless you're now going to include the 2003-04 season for some reason into this discussion.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They were never two games away from the SCF during that era unless you're now going to include the 2003-04 season for some reason into this discussion.

I should have put "like" in that quote because, like I said, you probably remember more of the exact series numbers than I would, being a Sharks fan specifically during that period whereas I was just a hockey fan. Maybe they lost some of those WCF 4-1 and I remembered it as 4-2, apologies.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I could see him resigning in San Jose. Even though their so called window has been closing for about 10 years now

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Kucherov played 74 games, you clown. Nice try though.

So you dont think they would have made the playoffs if Kucherov had played all 82? I bet we get one more win in there with him in those games. Either way, it doesnt really matter.

I think the Sharks have a great chance to re-sign him. Hes there for a full year and they can offer that 8th year. Nice place to live and they are properly managed which is 2 important things to check off the list. However, I dont think Sharks fans should be surprised if he goes to FA though. After all hes been through, they might just want to choose where they live for the rest of his career.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Boohoo.

Missing is missing whether it is by 1 game or 50.
Let's see your team make the playoffs with your two best players injured for a large portion of the season.

Oh, that's right. They wouldn't, would they? Boohoo.

Even without Stamkos [and our starting goalie at the time; Bishop], we took the Penguins to seven games a couple years ago in the Conference Finals.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Let's see your team make the playoffs with your two best players injured for a large portion of the season.

Oh, that's right. They wouldn't, would they? Boohoo.

Even without Stamkos [and our starting goalie at the time; Bishop], we took the Penguins to seven games a couple years ago in the Conference Finals.
You mean they blew a 3-2 lead?

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

What kind of list is that? More than half those guys were traded or released. That constitutes players not sticking around? What a joke of an argument.

The only two that you could make an argument for is Belfour and Campbell since they were traded for and ultimately left once they hit free agency.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You mean they blew a 3-2 lead?

They lost to the better team in that series. Washington was also the better team that series. If the Lightning snuck by those rounds I feel most people would say the better team did not advance. Theres no shame in losing to the better team. At least they have reached this point more than a couple times in the last 4 years. Pretty damn impressive. Also the team is young. They will have their shot again.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Oilers also have very little past that player. The Sharks made the playoffs last year and lost in the second round. They are now adding a top 5-10 player in the NHL with only subtracting a player that they have a replacement for off their NHL roster.

Who did Anaheim add? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad