Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Definitely not gorgeous..

But the Sharks window will probably remain open as it always annoyingly does. They have underrated young pieces and obviously gave up nothing of value to get EK.
San Jose the city might not be the prettiest but you drive 30 minutes or less in basically any direction and you got some places that are absolutely amazing. And there are places in San Jose that are beautiful too.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, I’m pretty sure after winning the most regular season and playoff games combined during his 15 year tenure, Doug Wilson will suddenly turn into one of the NHL’s worst GMs.

How did having the best player in the game and 103 pts work for the Oilers last year? It's happens buddy, don't be too sure on a team like SJ

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
How did having the best player in the game and 103 pts work for the Oilers last year? It's happens buddy, don't be too sure on a team like SJ
You're comparing one player on one team for one year to a whole team over the course of 15 years? This just makes zero sense

Reactions: Phu

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Oilers also have very little past that player. The Sharks made the playoffs last year and lost in the second round. They are now adding a top 5-10 player in the NHL with only subtracting a player that they have a replacement for off their NHL roster.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
You're comparing one player on one team for one year to a whole team over the course of 15 years? This just makes zero sense

My point is that the playoffs are k9 guarantee for any team. This poster seems to think you can mail it in. One injury, poor goaltending, etc.
Give me some odds and I'll bet SJ doesn't make the playoffs.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Been hearing that since 2010, buddy.

Wake me up when the Sharks actually suck for once.
2012-13 was pretty bad.

Just look at your roster's average age. If you can't wake up to smell that coffee, then nobody will be able to wake you from that sweet, sweet slumber.

Your team is usually a first or second round exit in the playoffs. I wouldn't walk with such swagger until Karlsson's extended.

Reactions: klabob

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
2012-13 was pretty bad.

Just look at your roster's average age. If you can't wake up to smell that coffee, then nobody will be able to wake you from that sweet, sweet slumber.

Your team is usually a first or second round exit in the playoffs. I wouldn't walk with such swagger until Karlsson's extended.
Again, heard that before.

And they made the playoffs in 12-13, so I'm not sure what point you're making, besides the fact that Wilson knows how to improve the roster by trading pocket change for a solid dollar bill.

And lol. Only 4/31 teams make it past round 2 and this aging, slow roster you speak of made the finals 2 years ago without Karlsson. You should probably worry about your own yard before telling me to clean mine.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. San Jose (and all of the Bay Area, really) is an abysmal place to be -- let alone live. That's why no people, especially professional athletes, want to live there. Housing prices have more-or-less hit rock bottom in the last ten years -- and the market doesn't lie.

Don't get me started on the Sharks, either. Their window has been closed since 2011-2012. Boyle retiring closed the window officially. Same with Marleau leaving. Thorton is tin man. They have no good prospects, and no future. Name a promising Sharks player even under 25 -- it's not possible. The fanbase is dwindling, along with overall interest in the team. San Jose in no way is a hockey town, and California hockey, as a whole, is a joke. Honestly, I wish they would just relocate the team already.

Last edited:

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Oh -- and on a less sarcastic note: I have no idea if Erik Karlsson will re-sign. If I had to bet, I'd say yes -- DW has a good track record of resigning folks he trades for, we can offer the 8th year/probably won't cheap out on a contract offer, and I think the Sharks have demonstrated that they can consistently make the playoffs. But also, he does seem pretty attached to Ottawa, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if he signs somewhere in the East.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Well with that logic, he's practically bound to sign there and shoulder the load when the rest of the Sharks core gets old and slower.
2012-13 was pretty bad.

The Lightning just missed the playoffs two seasons ago. How great are they if they can't even make the playoffs without Stamkos?

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
The Lightning just missed the playoffs two seasons ago. How great are they if they can't even make the playoffs without Stamkos?
Kucherov was injured too. And btw, Tampa missed the playoffs by one game.

Nice try though.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Been hearing that since 2010, buddy.

Wake me up when the Sharks actually suck for once.

I mean, 2010-11, that is around the last time SJ won the division, isn't it?

And they've gone beyond the second round once since that time?

Fair play, it was all the way to the SCF and that was great for them but that definitely seemed like the last bright flash of the flame for the team before it flickers out.

They haven't exactly set the world on fire during that time so maybe people weren't so wrong about them falling off?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Fair play, it was all the way to the SCF and that was great for them but that definitely seemed like the last bright flash of the flame for the team before it flickers out.

They haven't exactly set the world on fire during that time so maybe people weren't so wrong about them falling off?
WTF ?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If that's your bar then about 26 teams or so need to rebuild but that's just such a lazy argument to make.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
For some reason I feel like Karlsson is a Rangers type signing. Might be a year too early with their rebuild but they’ll have capspace and I could see Karlsson liking Manhatten

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Leafs trade Nylander for Avs Makar- Will have a future puck moving(right shooting) D with cap savings.

Then sign Karlsson as UFA- Toronto is close to wife(hometown of Ottawa) chance to win cup..

Might be able to afford Karlsson contract with saving from Nylander contract, let Gardiner go to UFA & Marleau only has one year left on his contract in this scenario.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Imo, Karlsson is in a great position and it doesn't make much sense for him to sign early. At the very least I'd wait until December to see how SJ is doing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Leafs trade Nylander for Avs Makar- Will have a future puck moving(right shooting) D with cap savings.

Then sign Karlsson as UFA- Toronto is close to wife(hometown of Ottawa) chance to win cup..

Might be able to afford Karlsson contract with saving from Nylander contract, let Gardiner go to UFA & Marleau only has one year left on his contract in this scenario.

There is no way that the Leafs would be able to afford Karlsson, Matthews, and Marner along with what they're already paying Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad