Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I'm pessimistic on EK resigning with the Sharks. I just feel that there would be some positive indications of that by now if it were likely, and instead it's basically radio silence. Think somehow Tampa makes it work :(

But I have absolutely no way of knowing anything and I hope I'm profoundly wrong.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This feels like a "I don't think San Jose will resign him either, but I just want to make their fans happy with my thoughts, so I'll include that but I'll make the majority of my post contradict my thoughts in the hopes that someone that knows him reads this post about how amazing Vancouver is in hopes it changes his mind" post.

I enjoyed it.

If you make your posts pleasing to all, the less you get quoted on them. lol

I was simply just saying that I don't think Vancouver is as much as a writeoff as people are saying. Odds are probably he will resign with the Sharks.

Tampa would be a good choice too, if they could afford him. Karlsson would make them instant cup favorites.

See what I did there :sarcasm:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Sharks are obviously the front runners. They are among the the top teams, basically going to blank check him, only team that can offer him 8 years. With all that going for them, I would expect that very shortly after the TDL (when SJ can offer him 8 years) he will sign 11.5 - 12.5 x8. If he hasn't signed shortly after TDL though, something has gone wrong and he is gone. No way he would make it to UFA and still sign in SJ.

If he does leave SJ though, I don't know where this talk of Vancouver is coming from, they would certainly be no where near the top of possible destinations...

member 290103

Strong rumours he is looking to go to Vancouver to play withPettersson. Some think he will give discount just for the chance.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Strong rumours he is looking to go to Vancouver to play withPettersson. Some think he will give discount just for the chance.
Over his best friend Hedman? Where he could contend for cups for the next ten years?

Y'know, hypothetically, if Tampa makes the cap work out. Which, again, I'm just going to state that they almost surely cannot. I just don't see how Karlsson will go to rebuilding Vancouver just to play with Pettersson.

Bold prediction, but Karlsson chooses neither SJ, TB or VAN.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I can’t say enough great things about the city of Vancouver.

But their NHL hockey team is just not good. They’re at below one point per game after getting shut out by the ****ing Ducks, the only reason they’re still anywhere near a playoff spot is because the Western Conference playoff race is historically weak. And even in a historically weak season, they’re still two points out of a playoff spot. They’ve got the worst one of the worst defense cores in the NHL and they’ve got 3 regular forwards scoring above half a point per game.

If not for a historically awful playoff race, they would be comfortably out of a playoff spot. Last season, on February 13, 57 points would have been good for 12th place in the Western Conference. And a points percentage of less than 50% would be good for 13th out of 15 teams. They’re much closer to a top-5 pick than they are to being a playoff team in a normal year.
Its clear you don't watch Vancouver at all. You keep bringing up this game played monday. We have beat some good teams this year and have been in almost every game. We beat Pits in Pits. TB in TB. We have a winning record against Calgary. But keep pushing the whole are only in the race because of how weak the west is. Then on the other hand pump your chest about being the best of the weak pathetic west. You are full of some seriously hot takes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Its clear you don't watch Vancouver at all. You keep bringing up this game played monday. We have beat some good teams this year and have been in almost every game. We beat Pits in Pits. TB in TB. We have a winning record against Calgary. But keep pushing the whole are only in the race because of how weak the west is. Then on the other hand pump your chest about being the best of the weak pathetic west. You are full of some seriously hot takes.

Funny enough, I actually watched their 3 games, and I’ve watched a few others this season.

But you don’t need to watch a team with 57 points in 58 games to know they aren’t very good. Two games don’t change that.

Statistically speaking, Vancouver would not be in the race in the West in any other season. That’s just simple math. It’s a fact if you quantify being “in the race” as being less than 5 points back.

The West is pathetic outside of 4 teams. But those 4 teams are all very strong teams and it’s a testament to San Jose’s strength that they have the most points of all of them. And players like Karlsson, in the prime of their career, don’t generally leave those teams.

Reactions: klabob and clunk

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
Canucks are 25-26-7 with a -18 goal differential. They are not a good hockey team yet (though they have a bright future if Benning doesn't ruin it).

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I think the Panthers could be a dark horse team they have the cap space to sign Panarin, Bobrovsky and Karlsson assuming they moved out Hoffman and maybe Reimer.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It really comes down to Melinda. If she’s happy in SJ then Erik will sign, if she tells him she wants to back east to be closer to family then he’ll sign elsewhere. Unlike that school bus fire in Ottawa, the Sharks are a very well run organization and Erik has stated from ownership down that they have been nothing but first class to him and his wife from the get go. Money, management etc. won’t be a hurdle, it just comes down to proximity to home.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tampa absolutely could make enough room for EK and Point, but would take some shrewd deals from JBB as well as EK taking a pretty team friendly deal (if he really does desire to be in Tampa, he would). Callahan being moved is a start. Probably need to move at least one, maybe two of Palat, Miller, Killorn or Johnson.

The question is how hard does TB really want to go on the blueline? Is it sensible to have Hedman, McDonagh and Karlsson on the same team at the sacrifice of say Johnson and Palat on the forward corps? There's guys in the AHL that can probably come in and contribute like Volkov, Stephens and Katchouk, but does it make sense to overhaul your top 9 by adding multiple rookies?

I think the EK to TB thing died when the Sens refused to trade him to Tampa. There's so many better places money an EK deal would require could be spent.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I’d love to see him in a Habs uniform. Just a pipe dream, as not a good fit for either. I would be surprised if he stays in Cali. It seems once guys get a taste of the lifestyle they are hooked. It’s a great place to live.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think the Panthers could be a dark horse team they have the cap space to sign Panarin, Bobrovsky and Karlsson assuming they moved out Hoffman and maybe Reimer.

LOL. EK would just go back to Ottawa if he wanted to play for a trash franchise that should be in the AHL. The panthers could be as low as dead last on his list of ideal destinations, and are definitely in the bottom 5.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
I'm pessimistic on EK resigning with the Sharks. I just feel that there would be some positive indications of that by now if it were likely, and instead it's basically radio silence. Think somehow Tampa makes it work :(

But I have absolutely no way of knowing anything and I hope I'm profoundly wrong.
i have a bad feeling he wont resign also but i hope we are wrong

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I just feel that there would be some positive indications of that by now if it were likely, and instead it's basically radio silence.

Welcome to Sharks contract/trade negotiations. DW is notoriously tight lipped. This org does not leak anything ever. We never get advanced warning when moves are made until they’re already done basically.

Reactions: LebrunJames

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
LOL. EK would just go back to Ottawa if he wanted to play for a trash franchise that should be in the AHL. The panthers could be as low as dead last on his list of ideal destinations, and are definitely in the bottom 5.

In 3-4 years do you really think the Sharks will have a better team? The Panthers top players will be entering their primes while the Sharks top players will be on the wrong side of 30. If he wants to compete within three years than great the Sharks will be a good fit. Beyond that I’m not so sure the Sharks will be as competitive. Not to mention if the Panthers add Panarin and Bobrovsky as rumored the Panthers with Karlsson will be a better team than the Sharks with Karlsson.

LebrunJames

Jan 9, 2019
Welcome to Sharks contract/trade negotiations. DW is notoriously tight lipped. This org does not leak anything ever. We never get advanced warning when moves are made until they’re already done basically.

This, Exactly!!

There’s a word for conducting business without blowing out every detail to the media. It’s called CLASS!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad