Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You havent been following hockey for very long have you.

What are you talking about? My join date is 2012. Ottawa’s ownership has been a mess for a very long time. Bryan Murray concealed it much better than Pierre Dorion has but they will be a mess as long as Melnyk owns the team.

The senators have the same amount of Stanley Cup appearances as the Sharks do and if you want to use recency bias than sure the Sharks are better managed but let’s not forget the Senators had a core of Spezza, Chara, Redden for many years along with Hossa/Heatley they were one of the best teams in the East for the better part of the 2000’s. And if the Sharks are so great at signing free agents where is the long history of top free agent signings? He may be uber rich great where is the history of that landing great free agents ? Again your making irrelevant points than calling me immature

Recency bias? I’m talking about the last f***ing decade. You want to use Doug Wilson’s entire tenure, since 2003? Where they’re 1st in regular season wins and 2nd in playoff wins? Be my guest. :laugh: Anything more than that, when the team was under different management, with different ownership and none of the same players, I don’t see the point in using.

Where did I mention a great history of free agents? All of Doug Wilson’s best additions have been through the draft or through trade. He’s added solid free agents like Paul Martin and Joel Ward, though. And he’s used his trading ability to sign players like Mikkel Boedker and then trade them for Florida’s leading goal scorer, Mike Hoffman. That’s another star player in his mid-20s that Doug Wilson acquired, he just gets forgotten because Wilson traded him in order to create cap space and avoid a locker room distraction.

If you’re willing to say Hoffman right now could roughly replace one of Pavelski or Couture (and as I understand, that’s what you were saying before), then you should understand that when the time comes, Wilson will find replacements for Pavelski and Couture. Both of those players have been declining for years and are being shifted to secondary roles. It hasn’t hurt the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What are you talking about? My join date is 2012. Ottawa’s ownership has been a mess for a very long time. Bryan Murray concealed it much better than Pierre Dorion has but they will be a mess as long as Melnyk owns the team.

You said that they have been a mess for a very long time. Which is factually incorrect, they have been a mess for a season and a half which lead me to come to the conclusion you havent been following hockey for very long.

The replacement for Thornton is irrelevant at this stage. He’s a sheltered 3rd line center who is barely putting up above average results in that position.

The comparison to the Senators shows how far your lack of knowledge is and also how immature you’re willing to get because you don’t really know what you’re talking about. San Jose has the richest owner in the NHL, Ottawa has the cheapest. San Jose has a long history of being a successful team while Ottawa has a long history of being a mess.

On top of that, Hertl is a center. One who’s scoring at above a point per game. On who, among centers, is 17th in points, 11th in even strength points, and 3rd in even strength points per 60.

You also dont believe in leadership I have noticed. Hockey isnt a video game or baseketball.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Sure but two of those three are most likely heading here. We aren’t far from being a contender we have 5 players who are flirting at a point per game pace. Hoffman only has 5 goals less than your leading goal scorer what does that say about the Sharks ? LOL. Our problems are goaltending and I’d wager to say if the Sharks played in the Atlantic instead of the cake walk Pacific division their record would be much worse. They are going to get hammered once they play a competitive team in the playoffs

The sharks have the second best record in the league, any other year they are likely competing for the presidents, but Tampa has been on another level all season.

The Sharks have closed that gap as since the start of the year last month and a half, sharks have the best record in the league. With only have half the loses that tampa does this year.

Who are these teams that are these competitive teams that are going to Hammer the Sharks in the playoffs? As if they havent played any already?

Just this year so far.

Smashing the best team in league lightening. (1) Overall

Beating Winnepeg ( tied with sharks (2) overall

Beating Flames now ( who were number 2 in the league now 4.

Beat stanley cup champs and absolutely dominated penguins, most there fans would tell you thats one of the most dominant teams they have seen all season, and thats playing in the mighty east. The game was more lopsided then the score.

So im curious who you see as the Competitive teams that are going to hammer the sharks?

Because Sharks are right there with the best in the League like it or not, and whats most impressive is there first win streak was without Vlasic and Braun, although Vlasic has not been good to start the year. We lost Depth at the position and he seems to look healthy now for the stretch run.

The current 6 game win streak has been completely without karlsson. This team can only improve down the stretch and are going to be a difficult out for anybody as long as they stay healthy.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You said that they have been a mess for a very long time. Which is factually incorrect, they have been a mess for a season and a half which lead me to come to the conclusion you havent been following hockey for very long.

You also dont believe in leadership I have noticed. Hockey isnt a video game or baseketball.

Their ownership has been a mess for a while. On the ice, they’ve been a bubble team for most of the time and that’s pretty much all been due to Karlsson.

They’ve lost Marleau already and the leadership from him didn’t seem to hurt them. The same will be true when Thornton is phased out of the lineup. I believe in leadership but I believe the relevance of one player’s leadership tends to get overrated by fans who like to talk them up. San Jose’s leadership comes from the top of the organization down to the players and there’s a reason for their sustained excellence over a long period of time.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ok so if I say Barkov and Huberdeau are leading the Panthers that doesn’t mean the Panthers are contenders otherwise they would be. I’m looking at the entire team as a whole that’s what you need to be competitive not a couple of young guns. The blackhawks had Toews and Kane as their young guns then they had an entire supporting cast of,players when they won. I’m saying where is that cast when Thronton, Pavs and company retire within a few years the answers ive had include the owner is rich and we have a history of being competitive. If that’s your answer than so be it. And I don’t realistically expect him to come to Florida unlike Panarin and Bobrovsky I do on the other hand expect him to go to a younger team with long term potential .

I also specifically pointed out Couture, Kane Burns (has only shown no signs of slowing down), and LaBanc as their supporting cast to go along with any trades and prospects to supplement. They haven't been shy about bringing Euros over with guys like Donskoi and Sorenson providing excellent depth and Radil and Suomela showing promise.

I understand that people look at the Sharks prospect pool and like to knock it but they are always uncovering their gems while Doug is masterful at taking those prospects and trading them for established stars.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Are you suggesting that Meir and Hertl are as talented as Barkov and Huberdeau lmao.. and they are leading the team by themselves ?? You’re kidding where did Thornton, Pavs and Couture go? They must have quit and retired early I didn’t know they stopped playing and producing already I expected it to happen two/three years from now LOL. Regarding Trocheck he isn’t a PPG player you are right but he is a 70+ point player and just got back from a prettty serious injury I think we can give just a little bit of an adjustment period before he returns to form

He's suggesting Meier and Hertl are on the Sharks (which you seem to be confused about) and that the torch is being passed to them.

Hertl is second in points on the Sharks and ahead of both Barkov and Huberdeu. You arent suggesting they are as talented as Hertl lmao?

Reactions: Gecklund

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
You guys just don’t get it. The Sharks may give him a legit shot to win a cup in the next 1-3 years and the Panthers may suck for those years, but AFTER that, the Panthers could potentially be as good as the Sharks are now if everything works out! Why would you pick a guaranteed chance to win right now when you could pick the mystery box and potentially have a chance to win later?!

VzcB0s.gif

Last edited:

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Tampa absolutely could make enough room for EK and Point, but would take some shrewd deals from JBB as well as EK taking a pretty team friendly deal (if he really does desire to be in Tampa, he would). Callahan being moved is a start. Probably need to move at least one, maybe two of Palat, Miller, Killorn or Johnson.

The question is how hard does TB really want to go on the blueline? Is it sensible to have Hedman, McDonagh and Karlsson on the same team at the sacrifice of say Johnson and Palat on the forward corps? There's guys in the AHL that can probably come in and contribute like Volkov, Stephens and Katchouk, but does it make sense to overhaul your top 9 by adding multiple rookies?

I think the EK to TB thing died when the Sens refused to trade him to Tampa. There's so many better places money an EK deal would require could be spent.
Logic would dictate that if you're getting Karlsson, you're getting rid of McDonagh. As well as a few other players to make the salary work.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Their ownership has been a mess for a while. On the ice, they’ve been a bubble team for most of the time and that’s pretty much all been due to Karlsson.

They’ve lost Marleau already and the leadership from him didn’t seem to hurt them. The same will be true when Thornton is phased out of the lineup. I believe in leadership but I believe the relevance of one player’s leadership tends to get overrated by fans who like to talk them up. San Jose’s leadership comes from the top of the organization down to the players and there’s a reason for their sustained excellence over a long period of time.
Another innacurate lazy post about the sens. Hard to look at things objectively through those teal glasses i guess.

If you actually dont think losing players like Joe Thornton doesnt matter in the room just proves again you are new to the sport.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I assume he’ll stay in San Jose.

However it’d be interesting to see where he’d go if he hit the open market

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
The sharks have the second best record in the league, any other year they are likely competing for the presidents, but Tampa has been on another level all season.

The Sharks have closed that gap as since the start of the year last month and a half, sharks have the best record in the league. With only have half the loses that tampa does this year.

Who are these teams that are these competitive teams that are going to Hammer the Sharks in the playoffs? As if they havent played any already?

Just this year so far.

Smashing the best team in league lightening. (1) Overall

Beating Winnepeg ( tied with sharks (2) overall

Beating Flames now ( who were number 2 in the league now 4.

Beat stanley cup champs and absolutely dominated penguins, most there fans would tell you thats one of the most dominant teams they have seen all season, and thats playing in the mighty east. The game was more lopsided then the score.

So im curious who you see as the Competitive teams that are going to hammer the sharks?

Because Sharks are right there with the best in the League like it or not, and whats most impressive is there first win streak was without Vlasic and Braun, although Vlasic has not been good to start the year. We lost Depth at the position and he seems to look healthy now for the stretch run.

The current 6 game win streak has been completely without karlsson. This team can only improve down the stretch and are going to be a difficult out for anybody as long as they stay healthy.

Sharks lost to the powerhouse LA Kings on December 22nd, that is also impressive and you failed to put it down.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Sharks lost to the powerhouse LA Kings on December 22nd, that is also impressive and you failed to put it down.

What a lazy and weak rebuttal.

I listed paragraphs of reasons why the sharks are at the top of the league and you make a one sentence post that means nothing

That doesn’t change the fact of the last 2 1/2 months the sharks have the second best record in the league and are only second to Tampa by a few points

Also it’s an 82 game season and you could look around the league and every team even the best of had bad Games against shitty teams so what’s your point?

Tampa Bay got their ass kicked 7 to 1 to the Stanley Cup favorite Phoenix coyotes but I didn’t bring that up in my post because it’s irrelevant .Why don’t you put something with a little bit more substance when you’re going to come and argue with facts. Fact is sharks are top-five team in the league

Reactions: HydroF

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
What a lazy and weak rebuttal.

I listed paragraphs of reasons why the sharks are at the top of the league and you make a one sentence post that means nothing

That doesn’t change the fact of the last 2 1/2 months the sharks have the second best record in the league and are only second to Tampa by a few points

Also it’s an 82 game season and you could look around the league and every team even the best of had bad Games against ****ty teams so what’s your point?

Tampa Bay got their ass kicked 7 to 1 to the Stanley Cup favorite Phoenix coyotes but I didn’t bring that up in my post because it’s irrelevant .Why don’t you put something with a little bit more substance when you’re going to come and argue with facts. Fact is sharks are top-five team in the league

Im confused.... so the sharks doing all the things you listed are facts, but the kings beating the sharks in Dec is not a fact? You can argue the meaning of that fact all you want, i would agree fact itself is whatever, any team can beat any other team on any given night. What I posted is still a fact, is it not?

I was just messing with you, the Sharks are good. They are the greatest regular season team in the history of the world. This part of the season belongs to you and your team so enjoy!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's incredibly rare for an upcoming UFA to sign an 8 year contract this close to free agency. In fact, it's never happened.

When you get this close, you don't give up the chance to see what's out there. Karlsson will be no different.

He might always go back to SJ, but he'll do it in July.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's incredibly rare for an upcoming UFA to sign an 8 year contract this close to free agency. In fact, it's never happened.

When you get this close, you don't give up the chance to see what's out there. Karlsson will be no different.

He might always go back to SJ, but he'll do it in July.
Karlsson can’t sign an extension before the deadline...

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
You guys just don’t get it. The Sharks may give him a legit shot to win a cup in the next 1-3 years and the Panthers may suck for those years, but AFTER that, the Panthers could potentially be as good as the Sharks are now if everything works out! Why would you pick a guaranteed chance to win right now when you could pick the mystery box and potentially have a chance to win later?!

VzcB0s.gif
this sums up basically every post by any team on this board when it comes to winning now vs but muh prospect pool is so deep.

no one cares you might have a window in 2-5 years. I'll take the Sharks 100% of the time. How long have the Hurricanes/Avs/Panthers/ect been "yeah but next year, watch out!" and yet nothing

Also "but Thornton and leadership!!!" jesus christ like the team can't find new leaders? Or like they haven't already? They got reverse swept and Joe told DW to shut his damn mouth and magically they make the finals in 2016. Pavelski is captain...Karlsson is on the team. Like oh Thornton might retire so the entire locker room will become cancer. How's Kane fitting in btw? Pretty good huh? Break out season so far? Yeah total cancer and once Thornton leaves Pavelski is going to throw Kanes gear in the shower. Couture is going to magically retire too, same with Burns then we will have no leaders

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Im confused.... so the sharks doing all the things you listed are facts, but the kings beating the sharks in Dec is not a fact? You can argue the meaning of that fact all you want, i would agree fact itself is whatever, any team can beat any other team on any given night. What I posted is still a fact, is it not?

I was just messing with you, the Sharks are good. They are the greatest regular season team in the history of the world. This part of the season belongs to you and your team so enjoy!

Lol straight trolling

It is a fact sharks lost to Kings

Also a fact that Tampa who I listed as the best team in the league sharks second over last few months lost to yotes by 6 goals.

Does that mean we have do discredit what they have done? Because u seem to be acting as if we need to discredit the sharks after a game to the kings.

Why would I bring up 1 game over 30 when my point was sharks have been 2nd only to Tampa since December.

That would’ve like me bringing phoenix one bright spot beating Tampa nobody cares

It’s about the body of work not one game

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->