Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Erik Karlsson is a (much?) better player than Tavares and Stamkos.

Rumors were crazy for Tavares and Stamkos the whole last season before they came due UFA. It's been extremely quiet in regards to Karlsson in comparison.

Why? I know he was just traded, but he hasn't signed yet and if anything - he's likely to have less loyalty to SJ than he would have had with Ott under better circumstances - so i would think his odds of hitting free agency should be quite high.

Do you think he hits free agency? If so who are the top teams in contention, and what offers will he get? What would you offer for him?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
He’s gonna sign. When things are quiet on the sharks front that usually means good things are on the rise. Nothing negative is come out only positive stuff so very optimistic

Also everyone Trippin about him not being signed has to know that he can’t get his eight year till after the trade deadline so likely the groundwork’s been laid the contract might even be printed and he’ll sign it after the deadline

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Erik Karlsson is a (much?) better player than Tavares and Stamkos.

Rumors were crazy for Tavares and Stamkos the whole last season before they came due UFA. It's been extremely quiet in regards to Karlsson in comparison.

Why? I know he was just traded, but he hasn't signed yet and if anything - he's likely to have less loyalty to SJ than he would have had with Ott under better circumstances - so i would think his odds of hitting free agency should be quite high.

Do you think he hits free agency? If so who are the top teams in contention, and what offers will he get? What would you offer for him?

Oh please explain?

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
DB923508-0018-4-A66-BF1-E-A0-E63-E90-EBAB.png

Peep the comment from EK65...

I think he's staying here :cool:

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
If you had to put your life savings on one team to sign him, the smart bet would be San Jose for the following reasons:

1. Only San Jose can offer an 8th year (helps lessen the impact of state tax)
2. Hasso and Wilson have shown a willingness to pay $13m for Tavares. Most would probably agree that Karlsson is the more impactful player so I see no reason we wouldn't offer whatever $$ Karlsson wants up to and beyond $13m. My impression is the pocket book is open and we will match or exceed whatever anyone else would offer and we would do it for 8 years
3. Doug Wilson and Hasso met with Karlsson and his agent prior to the trade and Wilson is on record saying they made the trade because they felt comfortable that they could offer what Karlsson is looking for (term/$$/location/ect). Wilson is not the type of GM who would just take a swing and mortgage the future the way he did if he didnt feel confident we could re-sign him. My guess is rough numbers were discussed and Hasso gave the thumbs up.
4. We have a track record of resigning our big acquisitions (Burns/Kane being the two recent examples) and players, by all accounts, love playing for the ownership group and love the area.
5. Wilson has a proven track record of keeping the team competitive and retooling despite how high we usually draft. His ability to sign solid depth out of Europe, draft smart, and make massive trades (Boyle, Burns, Heatly, Karlsson, Kane, ect) should be enough proof to show a player like Karlsson we can compete. I assume this is where most will disagree but I think this boards opinion of how far into the future players look for a team to be competitive is overblown and it's very understated how quickly ANY team can be a bottom feeder. I would personally bet on a GM/Team with a proven (and long) track record of success. Karlsson makes such a big impact that just getting into the playoffs with him on a roster gives you a chance to win it all
6. By all recent accounts, he loves the area and the team and is enjoying his time here.
7. The team has been fairly vocal/positive about the prospects of resigning him and they plan to start working on a deal after the All-star game. If you follow the team for as long as most Sharks fans have, you'd know that Wilson is usually fairly reserved/quiet about contract talks. His openness, in my opinion, shows he feels very good about resigning him.

I think that covers just about every talking point that will be brought up in what I'm sure will be a wonderful, calm, and respectful thread. With that said, if he doesn't resign I think it's because he and/or his wife would like to be closer to Ottawa. That's honestly the only reason I can think of aside from something absolutely crazy happening between this post and the end of the season.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Oh please explain?
Karlsson can play 30 minutes a game with any line. Ignoring the talent aspect, a d man like Karlsson is able to have a bigger impact on the overall game due to the nature of the position and how he can be deployed.

Glad to see we made it like 10 posts before the thread begins to come off the rails into a "my teams favorite player" vs Karlsson battle of who is more talented

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
If he hits free agency, he's cashing in with the Rangers. Hopefully San Jose locks him up beforehand.
I love that both of these opinions can somehow coexist (not saying you believe it, but I've seen both on here)

1. Karlsson won't sign long term because the Sharks window is closing and they are old
2. Karlsson will sign with New York though who is just starting a rebuild

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He's going to be getting 12 mil a year regardless of where he goes if he wants the 8th year he'll stay in san jose.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think he'll go to Tampa. They'll unload Callahan and Miller and they'll have the cap space for him.

Or maybe I'm having a nightmare or something.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he'll go to Tampa. They'll unload Callahan and Miller and they'll have the cap space for him.

Or maybe I'm having a nightmare or something.

That’s not happening. They will have to unload more than just Miller and Callahan.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I think he will re-sign but if he is smart he will go FA. I don't see the Sharks as a true long term contender. He should think long term and decide on a team who has a bright future like Tampa or even Colorado if they get Hughes.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think he will re-sign but if he is smart he will go FA. I don't see the Sharks as a true long term contender. He should think long term and decide on a team who has a bright future like Tampa or even Colorado if they get Hughes.

Somebody should just make a thread about whether or not the Sharks will be long term contenders, as every single Erik Karlsson contract discussion thread turns into this before page 1 is even done.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any team that has 11/12 million in cap will take a look. Hell, some that don't will give it a look too.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think he ends up in San Jose. They gave up picks + prospects to get him so I think they are probably a bit more motivated to re-sign him (esp. after missing on JT. Wilson was desperate to land a difference maker and I think he will do everything he can to keep EK). Plus they can offer the 8th year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad