Erik Karlsson says the Senators would have still traded him even if he re-signed with them

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This is basically what happened to Jeff Carter in Philly. He signed an extension and his 11 year deal would have had a NTC, but they traded him to Columbus before his NTC kicked in and it was voided because the new team didn't have to honor it.

From a players perspective it just makes no sense to sign the deal before you have guarantees, that is unless you are happy to play in whatever city they might trade you to.

That is exactly what we did with Hossa for Heatley.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sens ownership fed us a line of bull**** a lot of us saw coming a mile away. But for some reason there are Sens fans out there who don’t care and will gladly consume ownerships BS and happily ask for another serving. Mind blowing really.
It was almost frustrating posting in those threads all summer, and I have no attachments to the Sens whatsoever

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Some teams in professional sports can't afford to be profitable and keep the stars. Doesn't mean they're 2nd rate organizations, just means their scouting staffs and management team have to work harder.

Look at the A's in the MLB. They always have to trade their stars and spend peanuts in comparison to the rest of the league. They're currently facing off against one of the richest teams in all of baseball in the WC game.

This whole situation has made me a Sens fan.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Some teams in professional sports can't afford to be profitable and keep the stars. Doesn't mean they're 2nd rate organizations, just means their scouting staffs and management team have to work harder.

Look at the A's in the MLB. They always have to trade their stars and spend peanuts in comparison to the rest of the league. They're currently facing off against one of the richest teams in all of baseball in the WC game.

People actually like how the MLB is structured?

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Look Melnyk is probably the worst owner in the league, and Dorion is clueless, but resigning him with the intention of trading him makes zero sense. I think he wanted out of Ottawa, but just didn’t have the courage to admit it, so instead he spun this story.

Reactions: amethyst

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sens ownership fed us a line of bull**** a lot of us saw coming a mile away. But for some reason there are Sens fans out there who don’t care and will gladly consume ownerships BS and happily ask for another serving. Mind blowing really.
They call themselves the true fans as well. I call it not having a spine.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Melnyk isn't trying to play moneyball, though. He's just a grade A asshole.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Look Melnyk is probably the worst owner in the league, and Dorion is clueless, but resigning him with the intention of trading him makes zero sense. I think he wanted out of Ottawa, but just didn’t have the courage to admit it, so instead he spun this story.
That was literally a huge known fact that Dorion was trying to get done. Do you not remember Dorion giving teams the ability to discuss contracts with Karlsson in July?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dorion and OTT should have just traded him in Feb if they truly knew they weren't going to re-sign him. A team would be paying for 1.25 years of Karlsson + 2 PO runs + longer opportunity to re sign him, instead of the bullshit they got for him this offseason

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Dorion and OTT should have just traded him in Feb if they truly knew they weren't going to re-sign him. A team would be paying for 1.25 years of Karlsson + 2 PO runs + longer opportunity to re sign him, instead of the bull**** they got for him this offseason
They needed to con the fans into buying season tickets.

The return didn’t matter to Melnyk.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Even if i signed they probably would have traded me? Sounds like a 'poor me. Opinion, why is everyone acting like they tried to do this?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Even if i signed they probably would have traded me? Sounds like a 'poor me. Opinion, why is everyone acting like they tried to do this?
tried to do what? Trade Karlsson? they didn't TRY, they did.....

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

lol the difference in value between a signed karlsson and an unsigned karlsson is huge. how does it make zero sense?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ya because he refused to sign. Not the way he is making it sound
Refused to sign when? I mean he wasn't even eligible for an extension until July.

Reportedly hadn't spoken since last November. So if that's true they never actually spoke when he was allowed to extend.

Can I ask- what makes you believe they put a lot of effort into extending him?

Reactions: ujju2

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dorion and OTT should have just traded him in Feb if they truly knew they weren't going to re-sign him. A team would be paying for 1.25 years of Karlsson + 2 PO runs + longer opportunity to re sign him, instead of the bull**** they got for him this offseason
Was it ever said what Ottawa could have got for him at that time? I do know that Vegas was very close to trading for him from the reports I have heard.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

The Ottawa Senators right now is a crap organization, under Melynk, so this should not surprise anyone.

On a side note Erik Karlsson has has sweet moustaches/beard/goatee, would love to get that(I tried but I look like Borat:laugh:.)

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Guys, this was clearly Trudeau's move to help the trade agreements between Canada and US.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Erik Karlsson is known for his dramatic statements.
Eugene Melnyk is known for being a cheap sob.
There is no right or wrong here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was it ever said what Ottawa could have got for him at that time? I do know that Vegas was very close to trading for him from the reports I have heard.
no one knows for sure, but teams like TBL and VGK were involved. TBL seems very unlikely since OTT doesn't trade within the division. VGK i am going to guess pieces like Suzuki, Hague? No clue

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Melnyk is a cheap piece of shit. It wouldn’t surprise me anyway. Probably wants to be centre of attention and doesn’t want EK to keep the limelight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad