Erik Karlsson says the Senators would have still traded him even if he re-signed with them

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Damn feel bad for Sens. They really didnt deserve this. How is any Sens player supposed to take that team seriously?

Reactions: ujju2

paragon

May 5, 2010
That is exactly what we did with Hossa for Heatley.
Maybe in principle even if the case with Hossa wasn't nearly as bad as he was RFA and couldn't really control the team he plays for anyway. He was also paid handsomely and I'm not even sure if that contract included any UFA years. Carter's contract was 11 years and it ends when he's 37. Philly basically made it so he couldn't decide where he plays for the rest of his career, even after he gave a huge hometown discount.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't understand how the Senators went from making a 'we consider ourselves to be a top Cup contender' win now move in November and then THREE months later they decide to launch an exciting new plan to rebuild the franchise and trade the third best player in the entire league..

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
So they passed on a better trade because they needed Karlsson to play the rest of the season so they can sell tickets?

No team deserves this. I feel so bad for them.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I feel bad for Sens fans. Other teams are in the dumpster, but at least teams like Vancouver and the Wings have a decent amount of young talent coming up and their potential lottery pick this year.

Hope the NHL forces Melnyk out sooner rather than later.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
When you charge your uber eats to the boss's amex, you're forgetting where your bread is buttered!!!

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Look Melnyk is probably the worst owner in the league, and Dorion is clueless, but resigning him with the intention of trading him makes zero sense. I think he wanted out of Ottawa, but just didn’t have the courage to admit it, so instead he spun this story.
Agreed. His version exempts him from ANY accountability or influence whatsoever - 'they would have traded me anyway' insinuates as much. He probably welcomed the decision of a trade and it's probably a two-way street - management/ownership didn't want to pay him what he wanted (with the benefits he wanted) and so, he wanted to leave.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Was it ever said what Ottawa could have got for him at that time? I do know that Vegas was very close to trading for him from the reports I have heard.

It came out afterwards , when other GMs were approached that no one felt they were close in landing him at the TDL. Speculation says Sens kept moving the posts. Others say it was nothing more than tire kicking at that time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
what a bunch of crap. ufa's like karrlson all get no movement clauses. they would never sign him if they were going to trade him. he picked up the puck at end of season for a reason cause he wasn't coming back.

karlsson is a great hockey player but a conceited dumbass. i think history is going to reassess how much the ottawa implosion rests on his shoulders.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wow..

If I'm an NHL prospect being drafted by the Senators, I think i'd probably look across the pond for somewhere else to play until Euge is out.

This really does guarantee that Ottawa is nothing more than a farm club for the rest of the league until Melnyk is gone.

Yup open roster spots and minimal stars to get in your way must suck to a player drafted onto the sens rn

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Yup open roster spots and minimal stars to get in your way must suck to a player drafted onto the sens rn

Not as bad as it'll suck to know that every talented teammate you have will eventually be traded away until it's your turn for a raise

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not as bad as it'll suck to know that every talented teammate you have will eventually be traded away until it's your turn for a raise

And when you are a top flight star like say mcdavid as an RFA you know you won't be paid.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Sens fan don't deserve this garbage. Until their team gets sorted however may I offer respite from the storm by becoming temporary fans of the jets this season, there is room for everyone here!

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
And when you are a top flight star like say mcdavid as an RFA you know you won't be paid.
Exactly. They just traded their captain and best defenseman in franchise history, in his prime. For nothing.

There's no way any other star player can look at that team and think they'll get what they deserve.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Is it weird to hate an owner of another team (even one within your division) as much as I hate Melnyk? Feelsweirdman

No. Melnyk is pure scum.

Offer Karlsson another million per, and a no trade clause and the best player in the history of the franchise probably retires a Senator.

I really hope there are several thousand empty seats in that barn tonight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Makes sense seeing in his interview he said they would have traded him even if he re-signed

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Yea to Johnny Oduya and Nate Thompson lol

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u3.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad