Erik Karlsson says the Senators would have still traded him even if he re-signed with them

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Makes you wonder what Melnyk's forensic doctors actually found...
k2mKfqR.gif

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Wow..

If I'm an NHL prospect being drafted by the Senators, I think i'd probably look across the pond for somewhere else to play until Euge is out.

This really does guarantee that Ottawa is nothing more than a farm club for the rest of the league until Melnyk is gone.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
what a bunch of crap. ufa's like karrlson all get no movement clauses. they would never sign him if they were going to trade him. he picked up the puck at end of season for a reason cause he wasn't coming back.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Wow..

If I'm an NHL prospect being drafted by the Senators, I think i'd probably look across the pond for somewhere else to play until Euge is out.

This really does guarantee that Ottawa is nothing more than a farm club for the rest of the league until Melnyk is gone.

As a Knights fan, there is a part of me that hopes they send Formenton and Tkachuk back to London to avoid the lunacy that is sure to take place this year in Ottawa.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well yes, there was no way melnyk was going to pay one player 10m++.

A trade was bound to happen

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
I have no doubt that the "offer" they made on July 1 did not include a NMC. They knew it wouldn't be accepted, just as Karlsson did. The whole "we offered 11 million a year" is crap if it didn't include a guarantee that Ottawa would be paying that 11 million.
was definitely a token offer to appease/lie to the fans and season ticket holders. Sneaky

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well, this is kind of known. Dorion said they decided they would trade him in February when they wanted to rebuild

what a bunch of crap. ufa's like karrlson all get no movement clauses. they would never sign him if they were going to trade him. he picked up the puck at end of season for a reason cause he wasn't coming back.

He's probably referring to signing the contract the Sens offered him on July 1st, which was reportedly 7yrs $70M, with no bonuses, front loads, or NMC/NTC. Just completely standard.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
was definitely a token offer to appease/lie to the fans and season ticket holders. Sneaky

Oh, absolutely. Melnyk/Dorion sat there and fed Sens fans a load of bullshit in hopes that STH would re-sign. Well congrats, only 4000 of them did, and you've probably pissed them off by lying to them.

Reactions: Aerrol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Yeah he knew he wasn't coming back because they told him in february that they were trading him lol.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When you sign a year prior to your deal ending,
Even if the new deal contains a full nmc and ntc you are still operating on your current deal which only had a 10 team ntc list. That’s always the risk of signing a year in advance when your current deal doesn’t have a full ntc.

Tyler Johnson could have been moved in June without any restrictions before his ntc kicked in.

But generally once a team locks in a superstar they generally won’t deal him.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

His new contract might have had a complete NMC but his old one (which still has 1 year in it) did not... so he could be right in saying they would have still traded him

Reactions: tucker3434

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sens ownership fed us a line of bullshit a lot of us saw coming a mile away. But for some reason there are Sens fans out there who don’t care and will gladly consume ownerships BS and happily ask for another serving. Mind blowing really.

paragon

May 5, 2010
His new contract might have had a complete NMC but his old one (which still has 1 year in it) did not... so he could be right in saying they would have still traded him
This is basically what happened to Jeff Carter in Philly. He signed an extension and his 11 year deal would have had a NTC, but they traded him to Columbus before his NTC kicked in and it was voided because the new team didn't have to honor it.

From a players perspective it just makes no sense to sign the deal before you have guarantees, that is unless you are happy to play in whatever city they might trade you to.

Reactions: allevat

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->