Erik Karlsson says the Senators would have still traded him even if he re-signed with them

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Not surprised and this concords with what EK was saying to Simpson last night.
In other words, SensChirp and TSN1200 are still shills, Wayne Scanlan still has tons of integrity.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It makes sense.... the team is going to rebuild within the next 2 years (look at their cap friendly every one is off the books next off-season). Their most prized asset is EK65. If he has trade leverage on his long-term contract, OTT likely doesnt get a good return - not that it mattered anyway considering the owner/GM we are talking about

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Of course they didn't, Melnyk is brain dead.

Though I'll say the best move would've been to trade Karlsson before last season, as re-signing him would've simply delayed a much needed rebuild. If Karlsson re-signed with Ottawa, he'd be playing for a mediocre team for the rest of his career, and it'd be sad to see all that talent go to waste.

member 157595

Is it weird to hate an owner of another team (even one within your division) as much as I hate Melnyk? Feelsweirdman

Absolutely not. This is a man that (among many, many other things):

- cannot afford the team he owns yet refuses to sell to anyone that can afford them, thus keeping a team, city and fanbase in a perpetual purgatory
- talks about relocation of his own team during an outdoor game
- constantly dumps on the city of Ottawa from his tax shelter home base in Barbados
- refuses to support a group of fans that contained at least one individual willing to help save Melnyk's life
- chews out the best defenseman in the world for a f***ing Uber charge
- forces a trade of said defenseman because he doesn't want to pay a Top 5 player in the world even remotely close to market value

He's not a nice human being and is an unspeakably bad owner...the worst of any of the major sports in North America.

I am a Leafs fan and I frigging hate the Ottawa Senators. However, I have a ton of respect and sympathy for their fans. NO fanbase deserves Melnyk and I'll cheer almost as hard as a Sens fan when his grip on this franchise is finally relinquished so that we can get our God-damned rivalry back.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'm confused, I thought they hadn't spoken in like a year? If he knew they wanted to sign and trade him way back when, then obviously it was his choice not to continue wasting his time talking to Dorion et al. Not offering a NTC is pretty f***ing obvious if the plan was to sign and trade, isn't it???

This seems like a pointless tidbit, tbh...more fuel for the fire though right? More useless sens news for clicks!

Reactions: Section337

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm getting fed up with the Karlsson drama. Drama with management and teammates. Even the wives were involved. I hope Karlsson fails miserably with the Sharks. He is off to a good start.

Reactions: Goodbahd

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
what r ppl doing

sens are papering the tickets to avoid an embarrassment on tv

season ticket holders get 2 free tickets
a promo where if you buy JT tickets (i think) you get sens tickets for cheap
selling tickets on groupon LMFAO

not to mention a good portion of our fanbase is willing to bend over for melnyk

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Can this Erik Karlsson stuff go away now? Between the contract stuff and the hockey wives drama I'm getting sick of hearing his name. The guy got traded so let's allow this crap to die now.

If his name pops up again let it be for something cool he does on the ice now that the season has begun.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You quote me, but don't say anything to maaco right above me. What is wrong with you, man? I'm allowed to voice my displeasure in a Karlsson thread.

theres just so many people who complain about clicking on a thread that they could just ignore. no one is forcing you to care or pay attention.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
If Karlsson really wanted to sign, he would have. Obviously he wants to wait until July 1st to cash in at max value. It doesn’t make sense this is only all coming out now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville doesn't give no trade clauses, Rinne is the only one.

It's tougher on small market teams to give them out. If the finances change you have to have the flexibility.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
If they truly wanted to trade Karlsson “anyway”, as Karlsson states, then why did they trade Hoffman in a desperate manner? They traded Hoffman in hopes Karlsson would sign, they got rid of a guy that supposedly pissed him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->