Erik Karlsson (Part 7)

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I do not believe this is accurate. There was talk about Pavs being offered 2 years but not 3 like Dallas did.
That’s right. Just like Patty. He was prepared to let both of them walk unless they accepted a team friendly 2 year deal. I don’t think Karlsson’s deal had anything to do with it. If Pavs had accepted the 2 year deal, do you think he was going to let Karlsson walk?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That’s right. Just like Patty. He was prepared to let both of them walk unless they accepted a team friendly 2 year deal. I don’t think Karlsson’s deal had anything to do with it. If Pavs had accepted the 2 year deal, do you think he was going to let Karlsson walk?

What is your point?

Also, how exactly did he let them walk? He had a number and length DW was comfortable with offering. Patty and Pavs didn't accept and they chose to walk away.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
What is your point?

Also, how exactly did he let them walk? He had a number and length DW was comfortable with offering. Patty and Pavs didn't accept and they chose to walk away.
I guess I’m not communicating well because I’m trying to say exactly what you posted here. Maybe, I should be saying he was willing to let them walk. This all started because another poster said people blame Karlsson for Pavelski leaving UFA. Despite the fact that I can’t stand Karlsson, I don’t think Karlsson’s contract is the reason Pavs was not offered a longer and bigger contract.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I guess I’m not communicating well because I’m trying to say exactly what you posted here. Maybe, I should be saying he was willing to let them walk. This all started because another poster said people blame Karlsson for Pavelski leaving UFA. Despite the fact that I can’t stand Karlsson, I don’t think Karlsson’s contract is the reason Pavs was not offered a longer and bigger contract.
Pretty much. It's more the fact that Pavelski was about to turn 35 and a long-term contract for an aging player who was clearly going to decline was a bad idea.

Reactions: Alwalys

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Karlsson, as a Shark, has shown he can be a player that is up there with Thornton for elite special ability. No one on the team is as talented as him or really even close ... maaaaybe Burns but Burns does not have close to the hockey IQ. But when he's "off" he's worse than Thornton ever was; Jumbo always dominated the puck even if he wasn't scoring, at least until the last season on the 3rd line.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
This is such a shallow reason.
karlsson.jpg

Beautiful picture of Erik with his Richard Mille watch and new baby!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have been critical of EK65. It is not an effort or attitude issue. He has just not played to the contract he was given. He seems to be playing better now but we are about to see the team play some serious contenders. Lets see how the next three games go.

Sens fan here, watched every game he played in Ottawa. There was a time he could play any player in the NHL and have the advantage - Ovechkin, Tavares, Malkin. These days he needs a favourable match up to be a good player. He doesn’t handle speed like he used to and he doesn’t have the strength in his legs he used to to get leverage.

He has the heart of a Lion, a true warrior. That attitude is still there but his game is not. His ego and his ability are no longer alligned, his ego tells Him he’s elite, his game no longer is.

that being said, in a favourable playoff matchup he will be the best player on the ice. If it’s not a favourable matchup, he’ll get eaten up.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Sens fan here, watched every game he played in Ottawa. There was a time he could play any player in the NHL and have the advantage - Ovechkin, Tavares, Malkin. These days he needs a favourable match up to be a good player. He doesn’t handle speed like he used to and he doesn’t have the strength in his legs he used to to get leverage.

He has the heart of a Lion, a true warrior. That attitude is still there but his game is not. His ego and his ability are no longer alligned, his ego tells Him he’s elite, his game no longer is.

that being said, in a favourable playoff matchup he will be the best player on the ice. If it’s not a favourable matchup, he’ll get eaten up.

What is this ego? As for not having the ability, that's laughable. Even recently he was able to evade forecheckers and skate the puck out against Vegas (the Stone line), he was able to quickly shut down MacKinnon by not allowing him to get speed through the neutral zone.

Karlsson's weakness, has and always will be, defending one on one against a player coming into the zone with pace whilst he hasn't been able to (generally from another players turnover in the neutral zone). He is poor at timing his transition from backwards to forwards skating with players going around the outside. This has always been the case.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What is this ego? As for not having the ability, that's laughable. Even recently he was able to evade forecheckers and skate the puck out against Vegas (the Stone line), he was able to quickly shut down MacKinnon by not allowing him to get speed through the neutral zone.

Karlsson's weakness, has and always will be, defending one on one against a player coming into the zone with pace whilst he hasn't been able to (generally from another players turnover in the neutral zone). He is poor at timing his transition from backwards to forwards skating with players going around the outside. This has always been the case.

you won’t find a bigger Erik Karlsson fan then me, but to suggest he’s the same player he was 3-4 years ago isnt the case, on offence or defense. His hockey IQ is still tops in the league, but he doesn’t do what EK used to do. The skating isn’t there and the strength in his legs isn’t there anymore. Still a great player, but no longer elite

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Really, you are aware of that hockey is a team game? Way too early doing these kind of judgements about Karlsson, that's for sure. Karlsson is being "forced" to a slightly new role this season not optimal/perfect for him, having to prioritize defense more and not his offensive play. Karlsson is feeling his responsibility right now for sure and its not the right time focusing on his offensive play. This is not the best way utilizing a player like him but I don't think the Sharks have a choice right now. It's like saying a world class elite goalie is bad when letting in goals playing for a poor or struggling team, you have to be careful pinpointing a player like that, it's not that easy.

Pavelski is a totally another story, an extremely tough loss for the Sharks, it was sad. The Sharks is a different team without him. Thornton too even though he was more important in the looking room last seasons (a great guy and leader).

A good chance both San Jose and Karlsson turning this around, not too late (the opposite comparing to the Senators).

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really, you are aware of that hockey is a team game? Way too early doing these kind of judgements about Karlsson, that's for sure. Karlsson is being "forced" to a slightly new role this season not optimal/perfect for him, having to prioritize defense more and not his offensive play. Karlsson is feeling his responsibility right now for sure and its not the right time focusing on his offensive play. This is not the best way utilizing a player like him but I don't think the Sharks have a choice right now. It's like saying a world class elite goalie is bad when letting in goals playing for a poor or struggling team, you have to be careful pinpointing a player like that, it's not that easy.

Pavelski is a totally another story, an extremely tough loss for the Sharks, it was sad. The Sharks is a different team without him. Thornton too even though he was more important in the looking room last seasons (a great guy and leader).

A good chance both San Jose and Karlsson turning this around, not too late (the opposite comparing to the Senators).

we’ll see. If you dont see what I see that his skating is nowhere an near an elite level and is in fact very cumbersome on some parts of the ice, then great. Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe you’re right. But I’ve never seen a player improve his skating once injuries took their toll.

Id compare it to Perter Forsberg and his foot trouble. Just never got to the elite level he was at, still a solid player. but not elite or even All Star level.

like i said, having close to 1 year off and the skating is at the level it is now after all the rehab and conditioning he did (I live in Ottawa so I know what he did) - I think it is what it is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
we’ll see. If you dont see what I see that his skating is nowhere an near an elite level and is in fact very cumbersome on some parts of the ice, then great. Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe you’re right. But I’ve never seen a player improve his skating once injuries took their toll.

Id compare it to Perter Forsberg and his foot trouble. Just never got to the elite level he was at, still a solid player. but not elite or even All Star level.

like i said, having close to 1 year off and the skating is at the level it is now after all the rehab and conditioning he did (I live in Ottawa so I know what he did) - I think it is what it is.

It happened with Teemu Selanne. But please don't do the I know what he did crap. Back it up or don't bother.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It happened with Teemu Selanne. But please don't do the I know what he did crap. Back it up or don't bother.

All good. I’m as a big an EK fan as you can find. I’m sorry to see his game is where it’s at, and I hope he gets it back. At that age and with his injuries, I hope his legs come back. But he’s been through a lot, and still a solid player. He was considered the best or at least top 3 Dman when the trade happened, don’t know if he’s in the top 20 D right now. Wishing you guys the best with him. Hope for a quick turn around and some Erik Karlason playoff hockey

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I known with knee injuries it often takes several month of game play before you feel comfortable.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
you won’t find a bigger Erik Karlsson fan then me, but to suggest he’s the same player he was 3-4 years ago isnt the case, on offence or defense. His hockey IQ is still tops in the league, but he doesn’t do what EK used to do. The skating isn’t there and the strength in his legs isn’t there anymore. Still a great player, but no longer elite

I'm not claiming he is where he was 3-4 years ago at all. What I'm merely saying he is nowhere near devolved as he used to me. He is older, he won't be as explosive or mobile, but I would argue you he has very strong skating and elite vision. His weaknesses defensively, that he has ALWAYS had, has been exacerbated by his skating not being as good.

Offensively, he definitely doesn't shoot as much as when he was in Ottawa. There are multiple reasons for this - system, expecting better quality team mates when he came to SJ, and I also think not wanting to be seen as selfish on the ice. He has been productive whilst at SJ, and this year his totals have struggled as have all the D because the quality of forwards are just not there to capitalise. Think about the chances he's created for Matt Nieto (can't say he is a quality finisher).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm not claiming he is where he was 3-4 years ago at all. What I'm merely saying he is nowhere near devolved as he used to me. He is older, he won't be as explosive or mobile, but I would argue you he has very strong skating and elite vision. His weaknesses defensively, that he has ALWAYS had, has been exacerbated by his skating not being as good.

Offensively, he definitely doesn't shoot as much as when he was in Ottawa. There are multiple reasons for this - system, expecting better quality team mates when he came to SJ, and I also think not wanting to be seen as selfish on the ice. He has been productive whilst at SJ, and this year his totals have struggled as have all the D because the quality of forwards are just not there to capitalise. Think about the chances he's created for Matt Nieto (can't say he is a quality finisher).

I’m cheering for him. Good luck. He had the reputation as a slow starter in Ottawa, so he should heat up a bit. Good luck with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad