Erik Karlsson (Part 7)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
At least karlsson showed up at some point this season, couture has been non existent all season long.
Couture does a lot of the dirty work, takes a constant beating and still is gonna end up with a 25 goal, 55-60 point season. He's not a great captain, but to say he has been non-existent all season is dumb. Centering that second line with the likes of Dahlen, Balcers and Leonard isn't gonna win anyone any Art Ross Trophys.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Couture does a lot of the dirty work, takes a constant beating and still is gonna end up with a 25 goal, 55-60 point season. He's not a great captain, but to say he has been non-existent all season is dumb. Centering that second line with the likes of Dahlen, Balcers and Leonard isn't gonna win anyone any Art Ross Trophys.
People slandering Couture for the benefit of Karlsson is actually sickening. Actually makes me sick to my stomach. I don't even like Couture, but the fact that people STILL defend 65 in any way is beyond belief. The guy makes more than any defenseman in the league by far while not even being a top 50 defenseman (EVEN WHEN HE'S HEALTHY!!!) and clearly is over the team/city of SJ already. What the guy says and does shows he does not enjoy playing here anymore, yet still has people by his side.

Couture is a terrible captain but I don't think even once I've seen him straight up just not try.

Reactions: Chinaski89

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think it's two separate things with Couture. He can still score 25 goals and put up 55-60 points per year, but he hasn't been a play-driving center for a long time now. In order for him to be even somewhat effective at evens, he has to be stapled to Meier. Considering they want to have a legit top line by pairing Meier and Hertl, that leaves Couture looking "invisible" even though his overall production isn't awful. I also do think he checks out once it's obvious the team won't make the playoffs, which is why it feels like a good chunk of his annual production the last 3 years has come in the first half before that happens. It feels like the last part applies to Karlsson as well lol.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed. I shit on Couture all the time but he's been fine this season and would likely be pushing 70 points if he got to play with good wingers all season. Which Dahlen, Balcers, Gregor etc aren't at this point. Me personally I would have let him have Meier and Barbie and make Hertl carry Gregor and Balcers or Dahlen. Hertl's game is more about him carrying the puck anyway so they could have cleaned up his garbage.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It's very difficult to care about this team at all when management insists on "trying to compete" when the team is a bottom feeder even if their highest paid player played a full season.

Reactions: Shark Finn

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Why are people saying that Karlsson's ego is bruised? Did something happen? Was something said to him?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Why are people saying that Karlsson's ego is bruised? Did something happen? Was something said to him?
People are just pissed that he's not performing at an 11.5M level...same shit as the last 3 years, it's somewhat deserved but also annoying.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
People are just pissed that he's not performing at an 11.5M level...same shit as the last 3 years, it's somewhat deserved but also annoying.

Note that Karlsson should be performing not as an 11.5 million/year player, but as a 14.5 million/year player. That's what he's getting paid this season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Note that Karlsson should be performing not as an 11.5 million/year player, but as a 14.5 million/year player. That's what he's getting paid this season.
Yeah nobody should believe that that's the actual standard. That's a ludicrous belief that is unlikely to be consistent in its application.

Reactions: tiburon12

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Meh I think you go based on cap hit...regardless, he's at more of a 8-9M level when he's actually engaged. He's obviously been checked out since he got injured as the Sharks tumbled out of the playoff race.

Reactions: Alwalys

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Meh I think you go based on cap hit...regardless, he's at more of a 8-9M level when he's actually engaged. He's obviously been checked out since he got injured as the Sharks tumbled out of the playoff race.

The reason is, just like the contract is structured, there is an expectation that he'll be a 14.5 million player now and a 5 million player later. Not an 11.5 million player for the life of the contract...

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad