Erik Karlsson (Part 7)

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This seems a bit absurd. It’s everyone’s fault but EK’s that he sucks this year?

Nah, if he needs this much coddling and support, then why are we paying him so much?

May as well have just rolled with Burns and used Karlssons cap space to beef up the roster on defense and offense.

Though it is weird that you post this praise of EK then call him a low end #4 since Burns and Ferraro are clearly the two #1s
He has his faults. But he is trying to be a good boy and play as the coach requests him to in a system that absolutely stifles offense from the backend.

Boughner has to go.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
For years his best partner was Methot, a stay at home hitting type. We used to have that in Dillon. EK65 needs a partner that can help stabilize the D zone so that he can play more free and loose (at his best).
Honestly, Vlasic is supposed to be that stay-at-home shutdown guy. Blaming Nikolai for the situation is like blaming the bystander on the sidewalk for the bank robbery.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, Vlasic is supposed to be that stay-at-home shutdown guy. Blaming Nikolai for the situation is like blaming the bystander on the sidewalk for the bank robbery.

I actually think Knyzhov can be that guy. He just needs to reel in some of his aggressiveness.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well nobody seems to neuter their players more than Doug Wilsons Sharks.
Soft passive play is the hallmark

When I say some, I really mean only his tendency to step up defensively on the same side that Karlsson is on where he had already stepped up. There were a lot of times where a rush happened because Karlsson stepped up in the neutral zone and then Knyzhov stepped up on the defensive blue line in spots where he was outnumbered when staying back was the right call.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
When I say some, I really mean only his tendency to step up defensively on the same side that Karlsson is on where he had already stepped up. There were a lot of times where a rush happened because Karlsson stepped up in the neutral zone and then Knyzhov stepped up on the defensive blue line in spots where he was outnumbered when staying back was the right call.
Ah!
I'm looking forward to seeing if he can continue to improve like we've seen with Ferraro

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
It seems like most, if not all, of the Sharks' defensemen need a stay-at-home type partner.

Here's a novel idea... instead of blaming a partner, how about playing some defense more consistently?
Sharks fans are sooooo demanding!! Defensemen playing consistent defense? WHAT?! :sarcasm:

I thought they were putting the four back in fourwards. RightWing - Center - LeftWing - RearForward - DefenseMan... That's the five non-goalie skating positions I've seen from watching the Sharks over the last handful of years.

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Just wondering, how is Karlsson settling into the community now? I know at first it was a big adjustment given their long term plans to be in Ottawa and his wife's professional career having been there...Have they sorted things out now?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Just wondering, how is Karlsson settling into the community now? I know at first it was a big adjustment given their long term plans to be in Ottawa and his wife's professional career having been there...Have they sorted things out now?
With the pandmic and all, it's hard to know.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Sabres fan here.

I’ve been thinking a lot about our long term RHD options, and I saw somebody mention Karlsson. He’s not exactly what the Sabres need in the sense that we need more of a defensive minded player, but a pairing of Dahlin - Karlsson seems very, very enticing.

The Sabres are probably one of the few teams that can fit him under the cap. Playing around with the numbers, it seems like we can do it with relative ease, even after the Sabres sign their young guys in a few years, assuming the Sharks either 1- retain a bit of salary or 2- take on Jeff Skinner.

That being said, I have no idea of his value right now. This is more of a thought experiment than anything so please don’t flame me. Would any of these be enticing?

1- Karlsson (3m retained) for VGK/FLA 1st, Jacob Bryson (young LHD).

2- Skinner for Karlsson, 1 for 1

The reasoning for the first is pretty straight forward. Sharks get a bunch of salary off the books, get a first and a prospect. The Skinner one might seem odd, but the Sharks save 2.5m in cap space, Skinner has revitalized his career this year, is younger, and helps the Sabres get rid of an excess position for a position of need.

No question it’s risky for the Sabres due to his age/injury history/contract. But being paired with a fellow Swede with incredible offensive ability might be able to give Karlsson a boost in enthusiasm for playing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sabres fan here.

I’ve been thinking a lot about our long term RHD options, and I saw somebody mention Karlsson. He’s not exactly what the Sabres need in the sense that we need more of a defensive minded player, but a pairing of Dahlin - Karlsson seems very, very enticing.

The Sabres are probably one of the few teams that can fit him under the cap. Playing around with the numbers, it seems like we can do it with relative ease, even after the Sabres sign their young guys in a few years, assuming the Sharks either 1- retain a bit of salary or 2- take on Jeff Skinner.

That being said, I have no idea of his value right now. This is more of a thought experiment than anything so please don’t flame me. Would any of these be enticing?

The reasoning for the first is pretty straight forward. Sharks get a bunch of salary off the books, get a first and a prospect. The Skinner one might seem odd, but the Sharks save 2.5m in cap space, Skinner has revitalized his career this year, is younger, and helps the Sabres get rid of an excess position for a position of need.

No question it’s risky for the Sabres due to his age/injury history/contract. But being paired with a fellow Swede with incredible offensive ability might be able to give Karlsson a boost in enthusiasm for playing.

If he asks out and wanted to go to Buffalo for some reason then it’s to be considered but neither option is one I’d ask him if he’d be okay with it. It’s not a good deal for the Sharks.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sabres fan here.

EK65 is having a renaissance season. Or sort of. He's top 2 in the NHL as far as offensive defenseman advanced metrics. Yes still over paid but it would take a significant return for the Sharks to move him especially with any retention. Skinner for EK65 is simply insulting frankly.

EK65 ranked #2 overall.
By the Numbers: Ranking the NHL’s top 25 puck-moving defensemen

"Across the board, it’s hard to be truly elite in all three zones in terms of puck-moving ability. Josi and Karlsson are the only ones who rank above the 90th percentile in all three. Even the best have some weak spots."

Reactions: Alwalys and 209

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Karlsson is still an elite player and too few people recognize that. Yes he has been more elite in the past, but he is still in fact elite. He almost singlehandedly makes the Sharks a middling team, without him we're dregs.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Karlsson is still an elite player and too few people recognize that. Yes he has been more elite in the past, but he is still in fact elite. He almost singlehandedly makes the Sharks a middling team, without him we're dregs.

If he is on Burns' contract, he doesn't receive the crap that he does.
I really hope we can trade away Karlsson so he can actually go compete again instead of trying to feed passes to the likes of Nieto, Weatherby, Pederson, Cogliano, Gregor, etc.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
If he is on Burns' contract, he doesn't receive the crap that he does.
I really hope we can trade away Karlsson so he can actually go compete again instead of trying to feed passes to the likes of Nieto, Weatherby, Pederson, Cogliano, Gregor, etc.
If he was on Burns' contract, he wouldn't be as good of a player. He signed for his market value. Burns 100% would have gotten more on the open market too.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Karlsson kind of answered the question himself recently, when I asked him what his priorities are to close the season.

“It's about setting up the summer and making sure that you enter it with a good mindset and a healthy body. That's where I'm at this stage in my career,” Karlsson said last week. “You have [nine] games left, it is what it is. It's not much you can do about it. You show up every day and we play with pride. You try and do the best out of the situation that you're in. But for me, it's about making sure that I can go into this off-season and prepare for next year.”

I know some fans won’t like that answer, but it’s a realistic one and it’s Karlsson trying to set himself up to have a dynamic start to next year like he had earlier this season. Karlsson does appear to be the type who plays better when he has something to play for – like he did from October until his January forearm surgery.

I can see why Couture called him put on the bench.
Need to rid our selves of this fop

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Karlsson kind of answered the question himself recently, when I asked him what his priorities are to close the season.

“It's about setting up the summer and making sure that you enter it with a good mindset and a healthy body. That's where I'm at this stage in my career,” Karlsson said last week. “You have [nine] games left, it is what it is. It's not much you can do about it. You show up every day and we play with pride. You try and do the best out of the situation that you're in. But for me, it's about making sure that I can go into this off-season and prepare for next year.”

I know some fans won’t like that answer, but it’s a realistic one and it’s Karlsson trying to set himself up to have a dynamic start to next year like he had earlier this season. Karlsson does appear to be the type who plays better when he has something to play for – like he did from October until his January forearm surgery.

I can see why Couture called him put on the bench.
Need to rid our selves of this fop
At least karlsson showed up at some point this season, couture has been non existent all season long.

• Wow
Reactions: Groo

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
At least karlsson showed up at some point this season, couture has been non existent all season long.
Looked like Couture had plenty of fire. Haven't heard him say he's packed it in and is saving himself in hopes of being off to a good start next season

Not to mention we oft pair Cooch up with AHLers

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Looked like Couture had plenty of fire. Haven't heard him say he's packed it in and is saving himself in hopes of being off to a good start next season

Plenty of fire to call out others, he has always been good at that even though 90% of the time he himself is checked out. Its why he is one of the worst captains in the league, he expects perfection from everybody else while most of the time he is the worst on the ice himself.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Plenty of fire to call out others, he has always been good at that even though 90% of the time he himself is checked out. Its why he is one of the worst captains in the league, he expects perfection from everybody else while most of the time he is the worst on the ice himself.
Says you

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

What do you want Karlsson to do?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Play hard. Earn his pay and of course set a good example for the younger players. Can't believe some here wanted him as our next captain
He’s had injury problems for the past few seasons. You don’t think it’s in his best interest, as well as the organization’s, to get him healthy for next year when they try to make the playoffs again?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
He’s had injury problems for the past few seasons. You don’t think it’s in his best interest, as well as the organization’s, to get him healthy for next year when they try to make the playoffs again?
Excuses? Then go ahead and not dress him out

Should we shut down all our stars/ team leaders?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->