Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Just so ya know, I really appreciate the fact you've stuck around. It's good to gut check the- looked good, but is he original Karlsson?

I didn't think he would look quite so energetic and explosive after the injury. It was weird that we heard it was week to week then a few days later he was back in the lineup. It was good hearing him say that he could have played through the injury but decided against it and (seemingly) learned from two years ago, and it sure looks like that's paid off. I hope he can stay healthy and keep the good form for as long as possible. It would be a shame if Sharks fans never really got to see the good Karlsson but for a month in his first season in teal - he really is so fun to watch when he's in full flow, and even though he'll never live up to that contract he can still produce some great hockey and hopefully can be a key veteran when the new players come in and the team looks different.

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
A lot of hope for Karlsson, but mostly pessimistic expectations, not a ton of intangible signs he can get back to mostly where he was, but I hope I am wrong

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
ever since he came back from that slapshot that hit him in the nuts hes been amazing. reminds me of 2019 karlsson

Reactions: Alwalys

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Karl's been a stud since his rest. The stories of his demise have been greatly exaggerated

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Been one of his bigger critics over the last year or so but he’s definitely trending up. Love his game since returning from that injury.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's funny because the slow start hypothesis is starting to get even more traction now.
He started slow all 3 seasons here. Not a great look but if he's saving himself to carry the team in the playoffs I'm fine with it. I just want him healthy because he's the most exciting player on the team to watch. I mean seriously, how many guys at that level can toe drag players from a standstill and keep the puck away like him? Not many. And he definitely has a decent burst and the points appear to be coming now. Going to be interesting to see if he does like last season and comes from behind to take over the team scoring lead again. I know, I know... too soon for that level of optimism. :laugh: Nice to have him playing well again though. Hope it continues.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He started slow all 3 seasons here. Not a great look but if he's saving himself to carry the team in the playoffs I'm fine with it. I just want him healthy because he's the most exciting player on the team to watch. I mean seriously, how many guys at that level can toe drag players from a standstill and keep the puck away like him? Not many. And he definitely has a decent burst and the points appear to be coming now. Going to be interesting to see if he does like last season and comes from behind to take over the team scoring lead again. I know, I know... too soon for that level of optimism. :laugh: Nice to have him playing well again though. Hope it continues.

He has started slow his entire career. This is nothing new especially with news that when healthy he really does not do much offseason training. And then add in the past 5 or so years he has been rehabbing injuries and the slow starts really make sense.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He has started slow his entire career. This is nothing new especially with news that when healthy he really does not do much offseason training. And then add in the past 5 or so years he has been rehabbing injuries and the slow starts really make sense.
I wouldn't know about his starts in Ott, that's why I only referenced his time in SJ. If I knew that was typical previously too I would have been more patient early in the season. Just glad he appears to be rolling now.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's funny because the slow start hypothesis is starting to get even more traction now.

He hasn't really been a slow starter that much over his career, at least production wise. The worst start he had was 14-15 when Methot was injured and he was carrying around Cowen, Phillips, and Borowiecki for two months. He had great starts in 15-16 and 16-17. He even had an alright start in his worst year of 17-18, with 17 points in 11 games (though a horrendous -6 game in there, but he was even thru 11 GP).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He's starting to make some crazy plays and passes again like no one other than Thornton has done for us. Sometimes he makes plays Thornton couldn't have made.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Pirate

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
When he was good in his return game I was a little skeptical. Same with the second one. But that's five really good games in a row, and it's the most explosive and lively he's looked since the spring of 2017, frankly. Defensively he's been pretty solid, with some takeaways and even taking guys out along the boards and doing better in front of the net. With the puck he's been on a different level to every other Shark and looks a threat every time he's near the rubber in the offensive zone. 3 points in 5 games is just flat unlucky, and I can't help but feel that a few 3-point nights are coming in the next few weeks.

If nothing else, King Karl is the guy that can make this doldrum of a season worth watching the rest of the way.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
When he was good in his return game I was a little skeptical. Same with the second one. But that's five really good games in a row, and it's the most explosive and lively he's looked since the spring of 2017, frankly. Defensively he's been pretty solid, with some takeaways and even taking guys out along the boards and doing better in front of the net. With the puck he's been on a different level to every other Shark and looks a threat every time he's near the rubber in the offensive zone. 3 points in 5 games is just flat unlucky, and I can't help but feel that a few 3-point nights are coming in the next few weeks.

If nothing else, King Karl is the guy that can make this doldrum of a season worth watching the rest of the way.
His health is obviously a huge part of him being able to do what he's doing. With that being said, I also think he's realized that it's his team now, frankly it has been for a while, and it's time for him to properly position himself where he belongs. He's the best player on the team, he's been a captain, he knows how to lead. He needs to drag the team to respectability because they have enough talent do that when he plays like this. Also, once they get or find a goalie.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I thought he looked great tonight (vegas saturday), particularly with passing. a few guys had grade-A looks after a deft Karlsson pass

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
If only we had quality forwards who would either not shoot directly at the crest on the goalie's jersey, or immediately turnover the puck.

What concerns me was that he was clearly frustrated when Donato to a shot from an angle instead of feeding the puck back across to make Fluery move side to side more.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Blows my mind that he can look so washed, like his legs were gone then come back from a injury like it's 2017.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I thought he looked great tonight (vegas saturday), particularly with passing. a few guys had grade-A looks after a deft Karlsson pass
His skating is really improving. Multiple times in this game he lulled a Vegas forward to sleep while holding the puck in his own zone then burst around them and took it towards the ozone blueline.

He’s looking more healthy and confident each night.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If only we had quality forwards who would either not shoot directly at the crest on the goalie's jersey, or immediately turnover the puck.

What concerns me was that he was clearly frustrated when Donato to a shot from an angle instead of feeding the puck back across to make Fluery move side to side more.

He would have had an almost surefire goal on that play - Fleury would have had to make an amazing save coming across. I don't totally blame Donato for shooting there because he hasn't scored for a while but I think a more experienced player passes there. Karl's frustration may not have been great but then again that was the same competitive fire he showed in the 2017 playoffs when he played so hard.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
He would have had an almost surefire goal on that play - Fleury would have had to make an amazing save coming across. I don't totally blame Donato for shooting there because he hasn't scored for a while but I think a more experienced player passes there. Karl's frustration may not have been great but then again that was the same competitive fire he showed in the 2017 playoffs when he played so hard.

Was there a passing lane available on that play? It did seem congested by the time Donato got to the face off dot. I assumed maybe Karlsson was also trying to spook Fleury.

Either way, it was nice to see Karlsson on the rush. I think D joining the rush is the best asset of this roster and severely under-utilized by the coaching (though it does seem like now they're trying to sort out the D zone and how to initiate the rush).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Was there a passing lane available on that play? It did seem congested by the time Donato got to the face off dot. I assumed maybe Karlsson was also trying to spook Fleury.

Either way, it was nice to see Karlsson on the rush. I think D joining the rush is the best asset of this roster and severely under-utilized by the coaching (though it does seem like now they're trying to sort out the D zone and how to initiate the rush).
I didn't see an open lane, Donuts didn't have the d-man clearly beat, so I don't think shooting was the bad choice there. Vegas just defended it well. It's the most disgusting thing ever to get a decent 2 on 1 and not even get a shot on goal.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

His mythical 2 months stint of 20 games a couple years ago before he ripped his groin he was better but this is very encouraging.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Karlsson seemed to be most successful playing behind Balcers and Leonard, which isn't surprising given their skill level. That's we need to see more Chmelevski and Blichfeld and less of guys like Sorensen and Kellman...

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
Hopefully he can keep up his recent play and continues to improve. Dude is a generational talent and to see him go out with a whimper wouldn't do any justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad