Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He still shows excellent speed, but the frequency he gets caught flat-footed by non-burners is puzzling.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Ignorant question. Age and injury history aside, could the change from Ottawa ice to San Jose ice have an impact on Erik’s skating and speed?

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Ignorant question. Age and injury history aside, could the change from Ottawa ice to San Jose ice have an impact on Erik’s skating and speed?

How would that account for the roughly 20 game stretch last year where EK65 easily looked like the best player every night? The ice didn't seem to be an issue then.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
How would that account for the roughly 20 game stretch last year where EK65 easily looked like the best player every night? The ice didn't seem to be an issue then.
Other than the fact that Karlsson’s fans exaggerate his merits during those “20 games,” you realize 20 games is a mere 25% of the season, right? Lots of ordinary players have hot streaks. Brief hot streaks do not contribute to championship teams.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
As mentioned by a previous poster, I don't think the Sharks style of play really suits that kind of play. As a consequence, we don't see that much free wheeling seen in the highlight video. That's not necessarily a bad thing. We need to remember the 2016-17 Senators were ranked 7th last in the league in Corsi %, 8th last in Fenwick %, etc. when having a PDO of just under 1.000.

However, there are times where that play should be used and encouraged, and we simply don't have the players that can respond to that. As I mentioned previously, maybe it's because they are so used to strong structures that when they need to play reactive hockey they struggle.

I would like to see whoever ends up as coach from next season to open up the style of play, keep close support on the break out, and have an active offence.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Other than the fact that Karlsson’s fans exaggerate his merits during those “20 games,” you realize 20 games is a mere 25% of the season, right? Lots of ordinary players have hot streaks. Brief hot streaks do not contribute to championship teams.

Except we are not talking about hot streaks. We are discussing if Karlsson has been physically limited severely because of his injuries and is unable to play that way or if it is related more to the style/system we are playing. This is a discussion about his physical ability and not really points.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

It was a little more than 20 games. From November 13 to January 16 he had 36 points in 29 games and FWIW he was +15. Then he was pretty good in the playoffs for being banged up. 36 in 29 is obviously a hot streak production wise but even regardless of the numbers, for over a third of the season he was arguably the best player on the team overall and unquestionably a top 3 D in the game. And if not for his injury, he likely finishes the season in that sort of form, just as he did in 14-15 and 16-17.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

It wasn't a hot streak though. Hot streaks tend to be driven by things like fortunate on-ice shooting and on-ice save percentage. Karlsson just dominated the ice for pretty much every single game. There are very, very few players who do that for one game, let alone 20. And there is statistical evidence that in the aggregate, Karlsson was one of the most dominant players in the league over the course of his full 53 games last season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
lol! You're funny....:laugh::help:
It was a little more than 20 games. From November 13 to January 16 he had 36 points in 29 games and FWIW he was +15. Then he was pretty good in the playoffs for being banged up. 36 in 29 is obviously a hot streak production wise but even regardless of the numbers, for over a third of the season he was arguably the best player on the team overall and unquestionably a top 3 D in the game. And if not for his injury, he likely finishes the season in that sort of form, just as he did in 14-15 and 16-17.
Pesky facts sure ruin a good screed...
I remember Patty having a down year because of that
Without a doubt. Even if he doesn't have to get up in the middle of the night to help it's a massive emotional swing unlike anything you I've ever experienced in life. Like pouring too much water in a cup. It just overflows and makes a big mess.

jarr92

May 7, 2013

I’m no EK65 fanboy. The endless EK65 fanboy vs anti EK65 debates are beyond tiresome at this point. Without looking at your post history, I’m guessing you fall into the second group..

The fact that this is your resonse to my post is telling. My post was merely stating the Sharks ice surface has nothing to do with EK65’s success/failure.

Also, if an “ordinary player” is the best player on the ice for 20 games, chances are they are not an ordinary player.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
There are regulations in place to keep rinks equal as far as ice goes, but even if that were not the case it wouldn’t matter

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There are regulations in place to keep rinks equal as far as ice goes, but even if that were not the case it wouldn’t matter

That is only true for thickness of the ice and things like that.

But temperature outside the building does still play a part in just how good the ice actual is for game day.

And if my memory serves me right, a couple years ago i am pretty sure that fans complained about it being to cold in the arena during game days. So staff had to raise the temperature in the building to make the paying customers happy, but at the same time it makes keeping the ice at the right tempurature for a game harder.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Except we are not talking about hot streaks. We are discussing if Karlsson has been physically limited severely because of his injuries and is unable to play that way or if it is related more to the style/system we are playing. This is a discussion about his physical ability and not really points.
His skating looks no different to me than it did in the hot streak before he was injured last season. You can tell his groin in particular is just fine by how often he goes first position (toes out) to rotate around the puck. This is incredibly painful with a groin tear and if you look back at the footage after he was injured last season he almost never used this skating maneuver. You're leg literally collapses from the pain. EK65 is fine physically. Mentally who knows, I'm sure the losing is wearing on him and I remain convinced he doesn't actually get along with Vlasic. Either that or they are ruthlessly sarcastic with each other and they enjoy each others biting humor.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Ok so do you guys feel his past injuries are behind him and not affecting his play right now?

If so how would you evaluate his 9 points in last 10 games? Is he playing well? Do you expect him to keep up this pace for the rest of the season?

I would think with Hertl and Couture our SJ will need Karlsson to join the attack more for rest of this season?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Ok so do you guys feel his past injuries are behind him and not affecting his play right now?

If so how would you evaluate his 9 points in last 10 games? Is he playing well? Do you expect him to keep up this pace for the rest of the season?

I would think with Hertl and Couture our SJ will need Karlsson to join the attack more for rest of this season?
I doubt he keeps it up. The sharks are so weak at the forward position Karlssons passes will be wasted

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

I was a bit surprised that he was ready to go after his issues last year. It is possible that if he had an extra 10%, his freewheeling would be carrying the team up and down the ice instead of being just okay with complaints about his sloppiness.

As far as him joining the attack, I think that depends on the coaching. There have been games where Karlsson joined the rush a lot. But, Boughner seems to be actively tweaking with things. So, we'll see.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

He's a shadow of his former self and unlikely to return to form

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I doubt he keeps it up. The sharks are so weak at the forward position Karlssons passes will be wasted
This. Only reason he doesn't have more points is the lack of scoring ability of the forwards. He's easily been the best D-man on the team this season but he can't do it all.
He's a shadow of his former self and unlikely to return to form
Hopefully this is sarcasm...

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
The real reason for his play is that Erik Karlsson has been injured every offseason last 3-4 years. That will take some toll on you.

Mainboards will never accept the truth though.

Reactions: johan f

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Listening to John Scott’s podcast really makes it seem like Karlsson has underwhelmed his teammates. JS doesn’t think he is a good fit there or that he is gonna last.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Listening to John Scott’s podcast really makes it seem like Karlsson has underwhelmed his teammates. JS doesn’t think he is a good fit there or that he is gonna last.
Got a link/timestamp or anything?

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

I like John Scott, but I don't put much weight into those comments. If what he has said is true, the team needs a big shake up.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The real reason for his play is that Erik Karlsson has been injured every offseason last 3-4 years. That will take some toll on you.

Mainboards will never accept the truth though.

To be honest, I think he looks fine physically and the narrative of him not being able to skate, etc. is incredibly lazy.

What I see in Karlsson's play is second guessing and doubt - which is more of a mental thing. He used to be extremely good at preventing zone entries at the blueline, but now he seems tentative or indecisive - which is leading to him getting caught flat footed and being beat quite easily at times. He neither makes the decision to step up or allow the entry and use a gap control to keep the offense to the outside.

I don't know if this is because he is feeling like he can't physically do it, or because he doesn't want to step up and miss the play, then needing to rely on the goaltending to make the stop. It is something he needs to sort out if we want to see him dominate play again.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille