Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
He's been good. The best defenseman on the Sharks, especially in these last few games. But, he's not worth his contract right now.

Agree here. Karlsson has been better, but at 11.5M you have to win games with the team on your back. I don’t see that enough from him these days. His play currently doesn’t belong in the group of players that are making 11M+. Hope that changes with time and new coaching. He is expected to be our best player every night.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'd argue Kane is about the only one.

Depends upon which EK9 you're referring to. The EK9 in Oct was an absolute steal at his yearly cap hit. Decent for Nov, but down right bad for December so far at 2 goals and 59 PIMs. He was leading the league in PIMs a short while ago, but is now at #3.

Wingers who's role is to score are never a good deal at nearly 30 minutes in the sin bin for each goal. I've been saying this over and over again, one cannot score goals in the penalty box. Certainly not without some rule changes that will never come.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends upon which EK9 you're referring to. The EK9 in Oct was an absolute steal at his yearly cap hit. Decent for Nov, but down right bad for December so far at 2 goals and 59 PIMs. He was leading the league in PIMs a short while ago, but is now at #3.

Wingers who's role is to score are never a good deal at nearly 30 minutes in the sin bin for each goal. I've been saying this over and over again, one cannot score goals in the penalty box. Certainly not without some rule changes that will never come.

And you've been told numerous times that you're exaggerating to fit your narrative.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

And 51 of those 59 minutes came in 3 games. All of which he got bogus misconduct penalties.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Agree here. Karlsson has been better, but at 11.5M you have to win games with the team on your back. I don’t see that enough from him these days. His play currently doesn’t belong in the group of players that are making 11M+. Hope that changes with time and new coaching. He is expected to be our best player every night.

Now, to be totally fair, McDavid and Draisaitl being monsters still can't get Edmonton to be a top level team. A lot of stars can't carry their teams to success even if they are in great form. Karlsson himself was carrying the Sens in 15-16 as much as I've seen any D carry any team, and they missed the playoffs because they just weren't a good team and had bad coaching. If Karlsson plays like he's capable of with this team, and is the best player in more games the rest of the season, the results will be better, and will probably hand the Sens a pick outside the top 5, but 65 being in great form can't get the team out of this hole alone. It will take him being better, and Burns, Meier, Labanc, and Jones.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Now, to be totally fair, McDavid and Draisaitl being monsters still can't get Edmonton to be a top level team. A lot of stars can't carry their teams to success even if they are in great form. Karlsson himself was carrying the Sens in 15-16 as much as I've seen any D carry any team, and they missed the playoffs because they just weren't a good team and had bad coaching. If Karlsson plays like he's capable of with this team, and is the best player in more games the rest of the season, the results will be better, and will probably hand the Sens a pick outside the top 5, but 65 being in great form can't get the team out of this hole alone. It will take him being better, and Burns, Meier, Labanc, and Jones.
This is true. Karlsson is one player. This is a team. Teams win when they play together. Sometimes, they don’t win. That’s sports.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Definitely not living up to that contract and somehow making that trade for him look bad (though the pieces the Sharks gave up are helping by looking good/valuable)

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe you guys will get a pick next year from a surprisingly struggling team. Keep the trend going. At least I hope so. Karlsson being traded to the Sharks cemented you guys as my second team haha.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Better than pretty much the rest of the Sharks D.

It's interesting -- he's reminded me of Couture. Even when he looks bad, he's still putting up points.

He's doing a lot of dumb shit that's getting annoying, and moreso as the season goes on, but he's been good enough. Not 11.5mil good, but good. The only guy you can make an argument for having a better season as a Sharks D man is Ferraro.

Reactions: Phu

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Can we judge him when he's playing in a system that's running on all cylinders offensively and where he leads the rush etc? We are a hot mess under Boughner as well, and the flak isn't warranted. The fact that 2 coaches can't get it right is disheartening. This guy is so much better than what he has shown since he's arrived.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It's interesting -- he's reminded me of Couture. Even when he looks bad, he's still putting up points.

He's doing a lot of dumb **** that's getting annoying, and moreso as the season goes on, but he's been good enough. Not 11.5mil good, but good. The only guy you can make an argument for having a better season as a Sharks D man is Ferraro.

I like Ferraro, and he is putting up some good numbers, but his 5v5 GF% is 2nd lowest, with only Simek being worse.
For all the 'dumbshit' that's getting annoying, Karlsson's advanced stats put him at the top of the Sharks D. Absolutely not $11.5M good - but it's hard to take aim at him when Burns and Vlasic are significantly worst on a good amount of coin. You're getting better value from Karlsson than those two.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I like Ferraro, and he is putting up some good numbers, but his 5v5 GF% is 2nd lowest, with only Simek being worse.
For all the 'dumb****' that's getting annoying, Karlsson's advanced stats put him at the top of the Sharks D. Absolutely not $11.5M good - but it's hard to take aim at him when Burns and Vlasic are significantly worst on a good amount of coin. You're getting better value from Karlsson than those two.

Yeah, Ferraro is exceeding expectations and playing well given the circumstances, but he is absolutely not playing better than Karlsson.

Reactions: Anomie2029

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Can we judge him when he's playing in a system that's running on all cylinders offensively and where he leads the rush etc? We are a hot mess under Boughner as well, and the flak isn't warranted. The fact that 2 coaches can't get it right is disheartening. This guy is so much better than what he has shown since he's arrived.

Eventually you gotta start looking at the player and not the system. How many coaches will it take? I've been saying it for a year+, Karlsson lost a step, and can't play the game he once played. He's still a good skater, but he doesn't have what he used to have that made him special and yet he still plays like he does with arrant passes and riverboat gambling play.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Eventually you gotta start looking at the player and not the system. How many coaches will it take? I've been saying it for a year+, Karlsson lost a step, and can't play the game he once played. He's still a good skater, but he doesn't have what he used to have that made him special and yet he still plays like he does with arrant passes and riverboat gambling play.

He's rarely played at all like he used to when he was with Ottawa. Hardly skates with the puck, doesn't get off the blueline in the offensive zone ... there are barely any rush opportunities for him to lead or join in.... Burns makes a lot of long, hard errant passes too. It's a pretty bad offensive setup that neuters both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad