Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
This is the 1st and only injury he has gotten that could turn into a career changer.

Erik Karlsson pre achilles injury was insane, it's a shame that one happened. I don't know how long his current stuff will linger but he's certainly injury prone at this point.

Reactions: robsenz

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
This may not be the place to ask this question. But this Karl’s Son issue has got me losing my sleeps.

With the feeling many fans like myself are having about him potentially not signing and the way Sharks have completely pooped the bed of late, what do people think about SJ’s chances of beating the gold nites?

Personally I feel like in a vacuum sharks are better, but that’s best on best all rested and healthy. LV has been a buzz saw and SJ going into full choke mode, I’d put our chances at maybe 15-20% max. I wouldn’t be surprised if the lines came out and LV was -500 for the series.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This may not be the place to ask this question. But this Karl’s Son issue has got me losing my sleeps.

With the feeling many fans like myself are having about him potentially not signing and the way Sharks have completely pooped the bed of late, what do people think about SJ’s chances of beating the gold nites?

Personally I feel like in a vacuum sharks are better, but that’s best on best all rested and healthy. LV has been a buzz saw and SJ going into full choke mode, I’d put our chances at maybe 15-20% max. I wouldn’t be surprised if the lines came out and LV was -500 for the series.
Out of every other team in the league, Vegas has always matched up really well against the Sharks. They're just an inherently bad match up for us with the current composition and play styles. I think getting Karlsson back would help a lot since his own game seems to disrupt Vegas. Anyways, we're f***ed. I'm almost at a "why bother" level of caring about the upcoming post season.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I imagine we’ll all be pissed seeing him do that in a Knights/Ducks/Kings jersey
Karlsson can’t sign in Vegas. They’re almost 3 million over the cap for next year with 17 players on their roster. So they’d have to clear like 20+ million to make room for him, and sign William Karlsson, and fill out their roster.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

When the sharks we're steamrolling the league a few weeks ago I would've said it was a toss up

Now, the way the teams are playing I don't think I'm being dramatic to say Vegas should be strongly favored

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Karlsson goes anywhere, it's going to be to New York. Otherwise, he's staying here.
You thinking Islanders? I doubt he would want to be part of a rebuild with the Rangers.

I think its easy to be negative about everything right now given how poorly our team has been performing but in the end the EK65 decision is entirely all about 2 people. Erik and Melinda Karlsson. They decide if they stay in SJ or not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You thinking Islanders? I doubt he would want to be part of a rebuild with the Rangers.

I think its easy to be negative about everything right now given how poorly our team has been performing but in the end the EK65 decision is entirely all about 2 people. Erik and Melinda Karlsson. They decide if they stay in SJ or not.

He would totally join a rebuild to be with the Rangers given the other amenities to living and working in Manhattan for a guy like him. Plus, New York with EK65 is not rebuilding anymore and they're not that far off talent-wise after adding him from being a playoff team.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He would totally join a rebuild to be with the Rangers given the other amenities to living and working in Manhattan for a guy like him. Plus, New York with EK65 is not rebuilding anymore and they're not that far off talent-wise after adding him from being a playoff team.

Well, I would think that there quite a few better options than the Rangers if he is looking to win a cup. But the advantage of working in a big city like NYC would be hard to match. Plus it is a lot closer to Ottawa as well.

Its rather unfortunate that the EK65 injury prevented us from enjoying a full season with him on our roster. Maybe he returns healthy for the playoffs and we get a good run there but if he does end up leaving most of the Sharks fans will feel cheated on the trade.

Reactions: landshark

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, I would think that there quite a few better options than the Rangers if he is looking to win a cup. But the advantage of working in a big city like NYC would be hard to match. Plus it is a lot closer to Ottawa as well.

Its rather unfortunate that the EK65 injury prevented us from enjoying a full season with him on our roster. Maybe he returns healthy for the playoffs and we get a good run there but if he does end up leaving most of the Sharks fans will feel cheated on the trade.

I've never found it all that compelling an argument for a player of Karlsson's stature to truly worry about winning a Cup when you pick somewhere to stay for seven years or more. In the cap era, things change quickly and someone of Karlsson's caliber on the Rangers can put them into playoff level pretty much immediately. But if he's looking to be closer to Ottawa, enjoy the lifestyle and fashion of NYC, and get paid handsomely doing it, the Rangers certainly have all that to offer. Plus, they'd have 10 million more and the possibility of moving out Shattenkirk for more room and bring in someone like Panarin to help boost their forward talent and they'd be hard to argue against as a playoff caliber team on talent. Karlsson can help them turn things over real fast.

I agree regarding his health and feeling cheated but that's the inherent risk of any transaction. I commend DW still for making the deal. I believe it was a justified risk to take regardless of if it turns out to end horribly.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
When the sharks we're steamrolling the league a few weeks ago I would've said it was a toss up

Now, the way the teams are playing I don't think I'm being dramatic to say Vegas should be strongly favored
The Stone acquisition was awesome for the Knights. We will absolutely need a healthy Karlsson if we want to be competitive.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I will definitely be pissed if EK comes back for the playoffs, plays like shit, we lose, and then he walks in the off-season. If that happens, we only saw him play good for all of 20 games, meaningless games at that.

That’s the absolute worst case scenario, but it’s still a trade you HAVE to make if you’re DW

Reactions: Sharksrule04

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Im not so sure we should throw a ton of money at a guy who is a perrenial bag of injuries.

This question has been on my mind as well. It will be interesting what DW does, but I have the feeling that EK65 may not give him an opportunity.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I will definitely be pissed if EK comes back for the playoffs, plays like ****, we lose, and then he walks in the off-season. If that happens, we only saw him play good for all of 20 games, meaningless games at that.

That’s the absolute worst case scenario, but it’s still a trade you HAVE to make if you’re DW

Honestly, I do not even want him to play in the playoffs if he cant get in a regular season game.

Then only put him in once he is 100% healthy, or we need a hail mary sub in if we get down like 3 to 1 in a series. If they pull a Thornton with him, and he does not suit up in the playoffs for us, I do not want to resign him, he did not earn my loyalty like Thornton has. Not taking a 11+mil risk on a guy that keeps having injuries to key skating muscles, when skating is an enormous part of what makes him special, and not just good.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Honestly, I do not even want him to play in the playoffs if he cant get in a regular season game.

Then only put him in once he is 100% healthy, or we need a hail mary sub in if we get down like 3 to 1 in a series. If they pull a Thornton with him, and he does not suit up in the playoffs for us, I do not want to resign him, he did not earn my loyalty like Thornton has. Not taking a 11+mil risk on a guy that keeps having injuries to key skating muscles, when skating is an enormous part of what makes him special, and not just good.

Nah if he's gonna walk we may as well run him into the ground in the playoffs playing 35+min a night and get our moneys worth.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

That's crazy talk. Karlsson was carrying an entire team 2 years ago on one foot. You'll want him suited up come playoffs, no question about it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's crazy talk. Karlsson was carrying an entire team 2 years ago on one foot. You'll want him suited up come playoffs, no question about it.

Except this injury is completely different. It’s one that he can’t just play through and he proved that in Boston.

I don’t blame him for being injured, and I know he wants to be out there as badly as possible. But if he can’t play, or he does play and he looks like he did in Boston, then I can understand this line of thinking.

If the choice is between Karlsson and a younger player like Panarin who is still elite but isn’t quite the same caliber, it’s a tough choice for me. If the choice is between Karlsson and Nyquist+$5M in cap space, I’m going Karlsson every time.

I'm obviously being dramatic and realize there is technically a chance...it just seems very unlikely based on how this season has gone for him. He was never able to fully settle in.

He was able to set in. He was an absolutely dominant force for about 20 games and he led the NHL in assists over that time frame where the Sharks pretty much steamrolled everybody. The problem is it took him some time to settle in and then he got hurt pretty quickly after he did settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad