Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So many signs are pointing to Karlsson extending with San Jose that I'm sure he won't.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
After trading McDavid (90% salary retained) to the Leafs for hot prospect Timothy Liljegren. Trade will be 1 for 1
Lilegren is the only RHD with top 4 potential as a prospect...massive overpayment. Brown + a 2nd is a generous offer for McDavid :sarcasm:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm thinking it's very likely EK65 will sign with the Sharks in February. I suspect he values locking in a contract and forgoing being a UFA much more now.

BTW, not that anyone here has been asking that I know of, but Sharks can sign Thornton for next season since the window opened at the beginning of this month. I don't see any real benefit to this rule on extending players on a 1 year, one-way contract.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Jumbo will extend, but only once Karlsson, Meier and Pavs have clear decisions. Jumbo will take a mill if that's what's left after those three.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jumbo will extend, but only once Karlsson, Meier and Pavs have clear decisions. Jumbo will take a mill if that's what's left after those three.

Luckily for all involved it doesn't have to be a mil regardless of what happens. They just have to structure it in a way that is using the cap and the bonuses as needed. They should still be able to pay him 4 million total if you throw in a bunch of easy bonuses for him to get.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
No but given the contracts over the years he is still underpaid for what he had provided so I’m okay with slightly overpaying him again.
I'd rather keep underpaying him and then let svse or sap hire him after he retires

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'd rather keep underpaying him and then let svse or sap hire him after he retires

Ohh you know it’s happening. The moment he retires, he’ll get picked up as a consultant for however much he feels he is owed.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
No but given the contracts over the years he is still underpaid for what he had provided so I’m okay with slightly overpaying him again.

He gave HTD's in some of his late prime years, but he got $8MM last year and was definitively not worth that. IMO, that was the year they paid him more to buy the flexibility in the future to sign him for less.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Ohh you know it’s happening. The moment he retires, he’ll get picked up as a consultant for however much he feels he is owed.
I'm pretty sure he'll spend the last couple years of his playing years in Switzerland. He always said that he'd do that once he retires for real. Once he's done there, he'll come back to the front office here.

Reactions: tiburon12

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The way I’m talking about paying him allows them to go over the cap to where I don’t think it matters.

He gave HTD's in some of his late prime years, but he got $8MM last year and was definitively not worth that. IMO, that was the year they paid him more to buy the flexibility in the future to sign him for less.

The discounts far outweigh that one overpay by quite a bit right now. The flexibility with Thornton isn’t really the cap figure but the bonuses that let them go over the cap by about six mil.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
The way I’m talking about paying him allows them to go over the cap to where I don’t think it matters.

The discounts far outweigh that one overpay by quite a bit right now. The flexibility with Thornton isn’t really the cap figure but the bonuses that let them go over the cap by about six mil.

What does that mean?

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
As far as Im concerned, Joe gets whatever he asks for. This guy has continually put the team before himself, now there's not many players that will do that constantly. He is what the SJSharks are. All you hear every year is "Joe is waiting for XXX to sign a contract before he signs to allow the team the right structure to compete".

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What does that mean?

Performance bonuses. A guy like Thornton over 35 can have those in his contract if they’re one year deals. Low base salary plus any signing bonus would be his cap hit. Any performance bonuses that he gets can be deferred to next season’s cap up to 7.5% of the cap if it would go over the current season’s ceiling. Sharks don’t have anyone with bonuses of note like on elc’s so they have about six mil of bonus cushion they can use.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Karlsson will stay with the team. Before he got injured he was really taking his game to another level. I expect that to continue once he comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->