Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Just really hope the Sharks aren’t going to grt Brian Campbell’d again here.

Can’t blame the guy for thinking about his UFA summer coming up, but I just really hope he is able to recover physically and give it his all for what could hopefully be a long run this spring. He does definitely seem like a guy that wants to play badly and goes hard when he is in, so it’s probably not even a valid concern.

It’s been so long you almost forget that he’s on this roster, it’s going to be such a huge spark to have him back if he’s at or near 100%. I still like the Sharks chances to get him, but I don’t think it’s a sure thing anymore. It would really suck if a damn rut on the ice in Boston is what stopped the sharks from getting at least their full seasons worth of EK65.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
It wouldn't make much sense for SJ to sign him too early. They have time, no reason to hurry it up if DW feels like he has made clear he really likes it in California. As for the injury we can probably be absolutely certain they will make sure he is 100% well when he starts playing. Playoff Karlsson with a broken foot dragging the Sens was such a force you just won't risk anything before the playoffs starts. Rather rest him 1 game more than necessary just to make sure he is really fired up and healthy going into the playoffs

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
In all likelihood he is going to use that one week window to determine his market value and get his 8th year. If he had a number in his head, he would have signed by now

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
Now you're just talking crazy... When he was healthy and after the adjustment period he was the best defenseman in the NHL. or maybe a 1a to Burns 1b or vice versa. Sorry man you're just not dealing in reality with your take.
I don’t think the OP is talking crazy at all.

I personally think you’re talking crazy. EK65 wasn’t even the best d-man on his own team. Point, blank, period. Regardless, I’m taking burns production + loyalty every damn day and twice on Sunday.

EK65 is a damn good dman, but he does not exuberate “toughness” nor “leadership” to me. I was super excited when he became a shark, in fact I would’ve preferred him over Tavares back then. Now, he simply does not impress me.

It’s funny how much smack was talked on this board when he was fighting burns for the Norris. Now, all of a sudden, he’s the second coming of Jesus.

The contract that he would likely get, will not be a good long term investment. The guy will get injured, trust me. You think vlassics contract is bad? Wait until you see EK65 down the road. (Please feel free to save this post for the future) At least with Vlassic, he’s deserved the contract through what he’s done for this organization.

I’m sorry, but EK65 does not scream “San Jose shark” to me. I want him to stay just because of what we gave up, but if he leaves and it gives us an opportunity on a difference making offensive player or a stay at home d-man, let him walk.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In all likelihood he is going to use that one week window to determine his market value and get his 8th year. If he had a number in his head, he would have signed by now

You'd think his agent would be able to determine that value.

It is very possible that he is willing to give up that extra year to choose where he can play.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I personally think you’re talking crazy. EK65 wasn’t even the best d-man on his own team. Point, blank, period. Regardless, I’m taking burns production + loyalty every damn day and twice on Sunday.

EK65 is a damn good dman, but he does not exuberate “toughness” nor “leadership” to me. I was super excited when he became a shark, in fact I would’ve preferred him over Tavares back then. Now, he simply does not impress me.

It’s funny how much smack was talked on this board when he was fighting burns for the Norris. Now, all of a sudden, he’s the second coming of Jesus.

The contract that he would likely get, will not be a good long term investment. The guy will get injured, trust me. You think vlassics contract is bad? Wait until you see EK65 down the road. (Please feel free to save this post for the future) At least with Vlassic, he’s deserved the contract through what he’s done for this organization.

I’m sorry, but EK65 does not scream “San Jose shark” to me. I want him to stay just because of what we gave up, but if he leaves and it gives us an opportunity on a difference making offensive player or a stay at home d-man, let him walk.
You didn't read the conversation... When EK65 finally got settled he put up a point streak and generally carried the play more than even Burns during that time until he got hurt. That's the only period referred to in my post. So you've made up your own argument to win which had nothing to do with what I wrote.

To your point about Vlassic... Hell no, he didn't deserve $7 mil as a stay defensive defenseman. That's ridiculous and you'll be hard pressed to find people even on this board that support that premise.

Wait... you're ok with EK65 walking so the Sharks can sign a "stay at home" defenseman in this modern NHL? That's ludicrous... Good grief... Way to resurrect my post from a week ago for this.o_O

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Did I miss the sarcasm font?

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
You didn't read the conversation... When EK65 finally got settled he put up a point streak and generally carried the play more than even Burns during that time until he got hurt. That's the only period referred to in my post. So you've made up your own argument to win which had nothing to do with what I wrote.

To your point about Vlassic... Hell no, he didn't deserve $7 mil as a stay defensive defenseman. That's ridiculous and you'll be hard pressed to find people even on this board that support that premise.

Wait... you're ok with EK65 walking so the Sharks can sign a "stay at home" defenseman in this modern NHL? That's ludicrous... Good grief... Way to resurrect my post from a week ago for this.o_O
There was no argument, simply an opinion.

And yes, I’d take a prime Pickle’s over an EK65 with this specific team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Negative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, you'd hope that was the case...

Yeah, you clearly don't understand why I said that. You made up your own inaccurate interpretation of what I said and disagreed with that instead of what I actually said. So you have an opinion on something based on your incorrect understanding of the premise of my other post. Get it now...?

And yes, I’d take a prime Pickle’s over an EK65 with this specific team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Good lord! That's just ridiculous. Glad you're not the GM.

Really, this whole idea that EK65 doesn't "scream san jose shark"... that's just silly. From what I've seen he's pretty well immersed himself locally and with the team. What actual evidence are you basing opinion on? Certainly nothing that has happened in reality since he's gotten to San Jose.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think when healthy, EK65 is the best defenseman the Sharks have on the roster. In fact, I think he has more higher level skills than any Sharks defensemen during the years I've been watching.

I also believe there are only three things preventing DW from making a quick signing:

1- Doubts on EK65's health
2- Trying to fit EK65's contract in the cap.
3- EK65 doesn't want to sign quickly.

I'm betting it's #3 as the most likely.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Definitely #3. If EK was willing to sign today, he would be signed today. Hopefully he’s just going to weigh his options and the Sharks are able to offer him enough over everyone else to keep him here over possible location preferences.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Sounds like you’ve just chosen to hate on Karlsson in order to be different from everybody else.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
With not so much as a whisper about contact talks this is what I see happening

1. Karlsson only re-signs if we win the Stanley Cup this year

2. We are not going to win the Stanley Cup this year

3. Transitive property

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It would be our luck that the season we have him he’s basically injured for most of it and then he signs with like Vegas and never gets injured again.

Reactions: Friday

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Serious or trolling??

I don’t “hate” anyone. I do not care for EK65 as a person and think he’s overrated as a player.

This is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.
Is this Mike Hoffman??

Last edited by a moderator:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I don’t “hate” anyone. I do not care for EK65 as a person and think he’s overrated as a player.

I'd agree with the opinion that Karlsson seems soft as butter. He comes off as a bit of a diva sometimes (just my opinion). With that said, he and Burns are basically 1a/1b in my mind and he deserves w.e contract we offer him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Come on man. That sounds like, I don't like EK65 and I don't really care what you say.

EK65 has been a top-3 D-man in the league for a few years now. I can totally see why you don't like him as a person, I do not agree with you but I do see your side. On the other hand, the things you have said about taking prime Vlasic over EK65 now and that he is overrated definitely seems to be coming from your personal feelings for him rather than any objective thinking.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'd agree with the opinion that Karlsson seems soft as butter. He comes off as a bit of a diva sometimes (just my opinion). With that said, he and Burns are basically 1a/1b in my mind and he deserves w.e contract we offer him.

How the f*** is he soft as butter? He played 19 playoff games with two hairline fractures in his left heel. He tries to force his way through injuries even when he’s clearly not good to go. When Austin Wagner was taking runs at Sharks players, Karlsson took it upon himself to destroy him. He never shies away from contact and always takes the hit to make the play.

What an awful take.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
How the **** is he soft as butter? He played 19 playoff games with two hairline fractures in his left heel. He tries to force his way through injuries even when he’s clearly not good to go. When Austin Wagner was taking runs at Sharks players, Karlsson took it upon himself to destroy him. He never shies away from contact and always takes the hit to make the play.

What an awful take.

And had one of the greatest playoff runs by a dman in recent history in doing so.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You're entitled to your opinion but everyone else is entitled to rip that opinion a new one when it is deserved and this is very much deserving of a ripping.

Reactions: undercovernerd

Sjsharks5

Jan 3, 2019

This is obviously opinion, as you’ve stated, but when both are healthy, I take EK’s play over Burns. With Burns, I think there’s an extra piece missing from his defensive play compared to EK. They are both prone to being beat, but Burns does tend to give the puck away in the D zone. I don’t see EK with this problem. In fact, he seems to take the puck away in the D zone more frequently then Burns. They both do tend to get beat, though. I still definitely think without question that Burns overall game is 150% worth some defensive worts, he’s still no doubt one of the best defensemen in the league. I simply see a slight edge to EK’s game when they’re both healthy. The health issue is obviously important to this discussion, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad