Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
How does this report know Melinda is finding the bay area hard on the family? Just rampant speculation that can't be checked, or has she said something?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Being hard for his wife is interesting. I wonder if it’s difficult to acclimate to CA lifestyle or that San Jose isn’t her cup of tea.

It was all about his wife's family right from the start. She is from Ottawa and has family there. The biggest question I have always had about re-signing EK65 has been about his wife wanting to be closer to Ottawa. That is something we could never accomplish for her.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How does this report know Melinda is finding the bay area hard on the family? Just rampant speculation that can't be checked, or has she said something?
Don't think either of them had said anything at all about liking or not liking the San Jose area. Probably a lot of speculation there but it has been said before that she is really close to her family who are in Ottawa.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

For the record, I'm fine with him staying or leaving, I think that Doug has planned for both possibilities.

As for the tweet above, it's speculative nonsense. I do believe that the transition has been difficult for both him and his wife for a number of reasons I don't really feel like typing out at the moment. After that, New York makes sense due to its proximity to Ottawa, but Tampa is around a 5 hour flight to Ottawa with at least one stop. No one flies direct from Tampa, or San Jose for that matter, to Ottawa. San Jose is 7 hours to Ottawa with at least one stop. Perhaps with a private jet you can take 1 hour off the flight times. However, if Karlsson was truly using his wife's happiness/comfort as an important factor in where he plays next year, he wouldn't put her almost as far from Ottawa as she is now just to play with Victor Hedman. If he is willing to do that then the comment that it's been difficult on his family has minimal bearing on where he actually chooses to play. It would seem that playing with Hedman matters more to him than her happiness/comfort since he is willing to both keep her 5 hours away from Ottawa and take less money. Karlsson can do whatever he wants, but I do not buy any of this due to the contradictory nature of the statements.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For the record, I'm fine with him staying or leaving, I think that Doug has planned for both possibilities.

As for the tweet above, it's speculative nonsense. I do believe that the transition has been difficult for both him and his wife for a number of reasons I don't really feel like typing out at the moment. After that, New York makes sense due to its proximity to Ottawa, but Tampa is around a 5 hour flight to Ottawa with at least one stop. No one flies direct from Tampa, or San Jose for that matter, to Ottawa. San Jose is 7 hours to Ottawa with at least one stop. Perhaps with a private jet you can take 1 hour off the flight times. However, if Karlsson was truly using his wife's happiness/comfort as an important factor in where he plays next year, he wouldn't put her almost as far from Ottawa as she is now just to play with Victor Hedman. If he is willing to do that then the comment that it's been difficult on his family has minimal bearing on where he actually chooses to play. It would seem that playing with Hedman matters more to him than her happiness/comfort since he is willing to both keep her 5 hours away from Ottawa and take less money. Karlsson can do whatever he wants, but I do not buy any of this due to the contradictory nature of the statements.

Well said. I don’t really buy his comments either. I think they’re speculative garbage.

For what it’s worth, I followed his wife on Instagram and she seems to love it in San Jose. I remember her posting some hair product on her story and saying “I’ve become such a hippie here living in the Bay Area!” :laugh:

Reactions: Lebanezer

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm so confused. Why do grown adults have to live close to their parents? Not to mention she has enough money to fly home whenever she wants.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Why would he take a discount to play in Florida lol.

Sorry honey, I know you don’t like being far from home but I’ve got a besty who plays there and I can make less!

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Why would he take a discount to play in Florida lol.

Sorry honey, I know you don’t like being far from home but I’ve got a besty who plays there and I can make less!

I was thinking the same thing. They’ll have the same problem playing in FL in regards to her being home sick.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Yeah lets take stupid twitter speculation as fact. Karlsson was interviewed earlier in season by swedish media and they loved the weather.

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
You can live in San Jose for all the winter months and during the summer go back to Ottawa, I don’t get the fascination of having to live close to family as if you have to bathe and feed them. You’re a damn multi millionaire and can fly back and forth all you want, suck up the 7 hrs or whatever and enjoy first class or private. On top of that you get an 8th year, Karlsson’s wife was my major concern in why he wouldn’t resign. I hope it’s all bs tho

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
You can live in San Jose for all the winter months and during the summer go back to Ottawa, I don’t get the fascination of having to live close to family as if you have to bathe and feed them. You’re a damn multi millionaire and can fly back and forth all you want, suck up the 7 hrs or whatever and enjoy first class or private. On top of that you get an 8th year, Karlsson’s wife was my major concern in why he wouldn’t resign. I hope it’s all bs tho
That's what burns and jumbo do, they aren't here year round

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

People are different and prioritize different things. Karlsson has earned the right to play where he wants for whatever reasons.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Good reasoning. I guess an advantage of Tampa would be same time zone and parents/family can snowbird during the season. Or maybe NY/TB has the right mix of community + career.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
If he leaves San Jose for New York, he probably won’t be seeing any significant playoff runs during his next few prime years. Playing with Hedman makes sense but the discount speak is bogus. He has stated he’s Gonna get what he thinks he’s worth, and this is last crack at getting a huge contract. He won’t be taking a discount

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
His wife is such a baby. Waaah my husband makes millions a year and I can't be bothered to take an extra 2 hour flight home (on a private charter plane). I'm going to laugh when he leaves because of her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad