Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
How much more would he have to make in SJ in order to equal a 10 mill contract from TB? 11.5-12 mill? TB has been able to sweet talk some of their other stars into taking discounts so we'll see if they can talk him into taking 9-10 mill.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I’m leaning toward him leaving just because if he wanted to stay it would be done, IMO. Mark stone signed with Vegas in like 3 minutes after being traded. He wants to see what’s out there for a reason.

That being said, assuming he comes back and contributes in a playoff push, I’ll still be satisfied with the trade and we’ll have his assumed cap space available to chase Panarin type FA’s.

I’m mentally preparing for him to walk though. Just hope its not freaking Tampa.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
How much more would he have to make in SJ in order to equal a 10 mill contract from TB? 11.5-12 mill? TB has been able to sweet talk some of their other stars into taking discounts so we'll see if they can talk him into taking 9-10 mill.

That’s a lot of math right there. Players are taxed per game in every state/province they play in. There’s probably a spreadsheet on the inter web

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I’m leaning toward him leaving just because if he wanted to stay it would be done, IMO. Mark stone signed with Vegas in like 3 minutes after being traded. He wants to see what’s out there for a reason.

That being said, assuming he comes back and contributes in a playoff push, I’ll still be satisfied with the trade and we’ll have his assumed cap space available to chase Panarin type FA’s.

I’m mentally preparing for him to walk though. Just hope its not freaking Tampa.

I’m not concerned at all. Signing EK65 now means players in teal move. Like, definitely move. Why create that instability right now? Make sense to wait it out IMO.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I’m not concerned at all. Signing EK65 now means players in teal move. Like, definitely move. Why create that instability right now? Make sense to wait it out IMO.
That's pretty brilliant insight. I hadn't even considered the writing on the wall his signing would instantly mean to other players on the team. That would destroy chemistry and create animosity. That's pretty smart of DW and likely EK65 to wait.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009

Some people in teal are moving if he signs or not. I don’t see him risking a huge contract for that. Say he blows out his groin again when he comes back and ends up with surgery. How’s them long term contact prospects looking now?

He’d be the most unselfish and foolish guy I know to risk that just to not make any frindge players unsure of their future.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Some people in teal are moving if he signs or not. I don’t see him risking a huge contract for that. Say he blows out his groin again when he comes back and ends up with surgery. How’s them long term contact prospects looking now?

He’d be the most unselfish and foolish guy I know to risk that just to not make any frindge players unsure of their future.
This isn't some fringe player. the guy is getting paid as long as they say he should recover fully. Even if he completely blows out his groin (this is called a sports hernia, aductor tendon damage) he would recover in time for next season. Nabby had the surgery on both groins one off season and came back to play great. Many others too. This is also one of the many surgeries I've endured in my time playing hockey. I recovered in my late early 40s in 3 months with out Mike Potenza. :laugh:

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
This isn't some fringe player. the guy is getting paid as long as they say he should recover fully. Even if he completely blows out his groin (this is called a sports hernia) he would recover in time for next season. Nabby had the surgery on both groins one off season and came back to play great. Many others too. This is also one of the many surgeries I've endured in my time playing hockey. I recovered in my late early 40s in 3 months with out Mike Potenza. :laugh:

I wasn’t referring to EK as a frindge player. Talking about other players who may find themselves elsewhere should he sign or not.

Would you risk a guaranteed 100 million dollar contract when you’ve already been injured twice this season and groin injuries are no joke. Cheechoo went from established player to out of the league in short order due to injury. Not saying I think EK is going to end up like that but it’s a risk he’s taking on all to benefit the psyche of other guys who might worry about not having enough money to go around for them? Nah.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I wasn’t referring to EK as a frindge player. Talking about other players who may find themselves elsewhere should he sign or not.

Would you risk a guaranteed 100 million dollar contract when you’ve already been injured twice this season and groin injuries are no joke. Cheechoo went from established player to out of the league in short order due to injury. Not saying I think EK is going to end up like that but it’s a risk he’s taking on all to benefit the psyche of other guys who might worry about not having enough money to go around for them? Nah.

There’s no reason they can’t have a deal in place but have agreed to wait.

And yes, players will move. But signing him now could possibly put the writing on the wall for some.

It’s just a theory, but it seemed reasonable to me.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
There’s no reason they can’t have a deal in place but have agreed to wait.

And yes, players will move. But signing him now could possibly put the writing on the wall for some.

It’s just a theory, but it seemed reasonable to me.

I’m just saying if there is an agreed upon deal in place, EK is assuming a large amount of risk by not signing it if the only rationale is other guys might think there won’t be room for them too.

Let’s say he comes back and gets Marco Sturm’ed into the boards. Is that contract still there for him before anyone sees him skate again?

Unlikely perhaps but still something that he would have to consider.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’m just saying if there is an agreed upon deal in place, EK is assuming a large amount of risk by not signing it if the only rationale is other guys might think there won’t be room for them too.

Let’s say he comes back and gets Marco Sturm’ed into the boards. Is that contract still there for him before anyone sees him skate again?

Unlikely perhaps but still something that he would have to consider.

Yes, that contract is still on the table for him if he gets injured. This team was offering over $13M to John Tavares. They’re going to throw the bank at Erik Karlsson.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Yes I would. Like I said, I've had the surgery for a damaged groin muscle (adductor tendon). Almost every team in the NHL would jump at the chance to sign a 27 year old who is arguably the best defenseman in the league. Soft tissue injuries are far easier to come back from than articular cartilage damage in the joints. You're just not being realistic in your assertion. Cheechoo was already a sub standard skater and his damage and injuries was worse than is typically seen in this type of injury.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Yes, that contract is still on the table for him if he gets injured. This team was offering over $13M to John Tavares. They’re going to throw the bank at Erik Karlsson.

You can’t say that for certain. It would depend on the injury. If he goes down hard, snaps his groin and blows out his acl/mcl and is out for 12 months to recover, I’m not so sure.

Regardless. My point is just that i don’t see “other guys might feel like they won’t be back” is the rationale that would justify holding off on a contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorry I meant highest Dman in the league which he most likely will be.

I was under the impression that he was free to sign with SJ after the trade deadline. If I am correct, I take the fact that he hasn't as pretty clear evidence that he wants to hit UFA. And for whatever reason, all we have going for us is that 8th year. I just don't see it happening. Money, friends, family, whatever.

Also you have to understand the CA state marginal tax he'd incur is 13.3%. That's a significant chunk of money if he's looking to maximize the money he can make now. Just my honest opinion.

The team doesn't necessarily want to sign him now either because of the tagging rule.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Care to elaborate? I've never heard of this.
It’s weird, but with all the contracts expiring this year the Sharks have enough space.

In layman’s terms, this simply means that teams are not permitted to acquire players with non-expiring contracts or agree to new contracts with current players that would put a future season’s payroll above the existing salary cap.

Under Article 50.5 of the 2013 NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, any team that is trying to re-sign a player to a multi-year contract after December 1 needs to have “Payroll Room.” Basically, Payroll Room is the difference between the cap ceiling and the total amount of all Average Annual Values (“AAV”) and bonuses for the team’s one-way contract players, any deferred bonuses applicable during the current season, any buyout amounts, any outstanding offer sheets, any qualifying offers, or any money earned from two-way players while those players are playing in the NHL.

What is Tagging or “Tagged Payroll Room” in the NHL CBA, Article 50.5?: Jakob Silfverberg

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If Tampa gets EK at 10 then they lose at least one or two of their key players.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I think we walks if we don’t at least make it to the finals.

If he really wanted to stay here, he would’ve signed by now.

The whole “it’s a distraction” thing is cliche hockey talk. There’s definitely another reason. He either wants to see how the post season goes, hear other offers, or just doesn’t want to sign here.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yes I would. Like I said, I've had the surgery for a damaged groin muscle (adductor tendon). Almost every team in the NHL would jump at the chance to sign a 27 year old who is arguably the best defenseman in the league. Soft tissue injuries are far easier to come back from than articular cartilage damage in the joints. You're just not being realistic in your assertion. Cheechoo was already a sub standard skater and his damage and injuries was worse than is typically seen in this type of injury.

Kinda off-topic question from me but what does injury in the groin feel like? Is it where it's hard to walk/run or even bend over? I think I've injured my groin recently but im unsure. I can run hard just fine but when I take deep breaths where my stomach/diaphragm expands or when I bend over I feel it in that area. Only been hurting for me for about 4 days though so it might be a passing thing.

P.S. Also are you a real doctor/physician haha?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Kinda off-topic question from me but what does injury in the groin feel like? Is it where it's hard to walk/run or even bend over? I think I've injured my groin recently but im unsure. I can run hard just fine but when I take deep breaths where my stomach/diaphragm expands or when I bend over I feel it in that area. Only been hurting for me for about 4 days though so it might be a passing thing.

P.S. Also are you a real doctor/physician haha?
lol! No, not a doc. Unfortunately I've endured 10 surgeries from playing hockey though. 5 on one knee from a major injury over 20 years ago that will eventually result in a knee replacement. That resulted in a ton of research and reading as there weren't many surgeons offering solutions back then to my particular injury. The last surgery I had to have about 8 years ago was the sports hernia, adductor tendon (basically the groin) repair. The way EK65 looked struggling around the ice against boston brought back a major flash of deja vu. I really hope what he has isn't what I had. I tried for months to rehab but the only thing that fixed it 100% was surgery.

As far as the groin injury pain... It's the inside tendon and muscle between your legs, I can't imagine you'll be able to run with out pain. Turning or cutting would be very difficult. When mine was damaged it hurt with any motion that you moved that leg or used your core, like sitting up in bed or even standing from sitting in a chair. A mild groin strain should be fixable with stretching and limiting exercise for a few days or a week. When ever I went without skating for more than month my groin muscles would be tight and sore for the first week or 2 so I just tried to avoid going full out until they adjusted got strong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad