Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
If anything, I would suspect the “adjustment period” would make him hessitant to go through that again with a new team. I do think he is genuinely enjoying the guys. From they Jumbo goal, to his rush to get to Burns after his first, I think he is having a good time here.
He seems to be good friends with Kane. They hang out a good bit outside of hockey. And as Kane's players tribune article says, Kane really likes it here and with Kane playing on three different teams before here, I'm sure he's told Karlsson that it's way better here than anywhere he's been before.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hey guys, Karlsson scored!

I've got to say, I've been pretty impressed by Kurz's content for The Athletic. Some good insight, nice writing ability, ect. That being said, he acts like such a delta bravo on Twitter, that it makes him really, really difficult to like.

It's kinda funny though. I like to think he is being an asshole just for fun. Kinda like the foil to DP.

Hockey Twitter is ruthless; either be an ass or get eaten

He seems to be good friends with Kane. They hang out a good bit outside of hockey. And as Kane's players tribune article says, Kane really likes it here and with Kane playing on three different teams before here, I'm sure he's told Karlsson that it's way better here than anywhere he's been before.

Not discrediting Kane's sentiments, but going from ATL to WPG (especially those first years) to BUF is not really a tour of the league's best. The Sharks have a top organization, but even EDM would look like paradise after those stops :naughty:

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, Karlsson scored!

It's kinda funny though. I like to think he is being an ******* just for fun. Kinda like the foil to DP.

Hockey Twitter is ruthless; either be an ass or get eaten

Not discrediting Kane's sentiments, but going from ATL to WPG (especially those first years) to BUF is not really a tour of the league's best. The Sharks have a top organization, but even EDM would look like paradise after those stops :naughty:
I think that's a bit of a hyperbole.
Winnipeg might not be the best of locations, but it's supposed to have a very good management in place. Kane also said he enjoyed being in Buffalo and had no bad things to say besides the team's lack of success.

Edmonton on the other hand is probably one of the more not desirable locations and we've seen how inept the front office is there.

Either way, I'm sure Kane has said it can be much, much worse than SJ, where we have a great location, great team, and great front office and owner.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think that's a bit of a hyperbole.
Winnipeg might not be the best of locations, but it's supposed to have a very good management in place. Kane also said he enjoyed being in Buffalo and had no bad things to say besides the team's lack of success.

Edmonton on the other hand is probably one of the more not desirable locations and we've seen how inept the front office is there.

Either way, I'm sure Kane has said it can be much, much worse than SJ, where we have a great location, great team, and great front office and owner.

for sure, hyperbole is the language of the internet :nod:

My point about Winnipeg is that the first few years after relocation were tough, which is when Kane played there. Now things are different

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He'll be fine and you'll be fine. Just wait when things get serious. He'll be your best player. If he can carry a budget team to the conference finals, he can certainly boost a competitive team to perform. He may have lost speed, but he still knows how to play hockey. When he's up and running, he dominates the ice as the norm. When teammates know where to be for them to help eachother, things will become much easier for the team. They need to be quicker on their feet, especially the wingers on the breakout. So many times they're too slow, because they don't expect Karlsson to solve his problems that fast.

That's why he dominated in Ottawa, his teammates assumed he would solve the situation very fast and acted upon it. They just blasted up the ice when he stole the puck and waited for gifts. Karlsson is an oddman rush expert, the best at breakouts and ridiculous at controlled entries, while being pretty much great at the rest, except wrestling.

That's the difference between Karlsson and Burns. Burns dominates the offensive zone and is good at getting there, while Karlsson just squeezes the whole ice.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know no karlsson fan will believe it. But when burns is on and at the top of his game. Like he has been for the start of this season so far. He dominates in all 3 zones also. His way of defensive play is unorthodox, but if he is on the top of his game he can pretty much play against any body because of his size and speed.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He'll be fine and you'll be fine. Just wait when things get serious. He'll be your best player. If he can carry a budget team to the conference finals, he can certainly boost a competitive team to perform. He may have lost speed, but he still knows how to play hockey. When he's up and running, he dominates the ice as the norm. When teammates know where to be for them to help eachother, things will become much easier for the team. They need to be quicker on their feet, especially the wingers on the breakout. So many times they're too slow, because they don't expect Karlsson to solve his problems that fast.

That's why he dominated in Ottawa, his teammates assumed he would solve the situation very fast and acted upon it. They just blasted up the ice when he stole the puck and waited for gifts. Karlsson is an oddman rush expert, the best at breakouts and ridiculous at controlled entries, while being pretty much great at the rest, except wrestling.

That's the difference between Karlsson and Burns. Burns dominates the offensive zone and is good at getting there, while Karlsson just squeezes the whole ice.

I’m not enamored with all the Sens fans coming to tell us how much better Karlsson is than Burns. Not a single one of you has a clue how good Burns is.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I’m not enamored with all the Sens fans coming to tell us how much better Karlsson is than Burns. Not a single one of you has a clue how good Burns is.
Sure, I'll leave the comparisons be. I just tried to complement him and I admit I've not watched Burns enough to see the full spectrum of his game, not like you have. I didn't try to be condescending, even if I came off like that to some.

Like Lebanezer says, I'm also very interested to see what Karlsson and Burns can do together on the PP when they really find the chemistry. You don't win a Norris as a defenseman if you're not a top class D-man and Burns has.

For the record, I'm not an Ottawa fan, I'm a Karlsson fan, among others. Ottawa is owned by Melnyk, enough said. Let's just say I would be glad with SJ winning a cup in their last window, the franchise has earned it.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You have to learn to distinguish between Swedish homers and Sens homers.

They're all yours now, we don't have any Swedes left.

Here's footage of them leaving our board.

7VMeE.gif

Reactions: Matte70

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Karlsson is better than Burns. Burns is talented so the difference is not that much but in a vacuum I take Karlsson over Burns.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I don't know I don't think anything needs to be said about Karlsson after 2017. We respect him! Now they're on the same team. So who is better doesn't matter.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not this year he isn’t. Not even close.

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

Not really unexpected though considering with only 2 norris trophies and like 1000 points less and 600 points less depending on how you place them he has been considered by these same fools as the 2nd best defensemen of all time already so we already know the ones who try to make him out to be this god among men are smoking some funny stuff.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Not really unexpected though considering with only 2 norris trophies and like 1000 points less and 600 points less depending on how you place them he has been considered by these same fools as the 2nd best defensemen of all time already so we already know the ones who try to make him out to be this god among men are smoking some funny stuff.

Anyone that thinks Karlsson is a top 10 D-man all-time right now is just being stupid, let alone #2. There's nobody in the NHL right now who is. However, it's not far-fetched to say he is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th greatest offensive blueliner ever (Orr, Bourque, Potvin), considering the numbers he's put up and the supporting cast he had in Ottawa (ie not great after PPG Spezza in 11-12). Coffey played his best years with these decent players named Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Lemieux, and Jagr. That would be like Karlsson playing his first 6 seasons in Pittsburgh and then going to Edmonton in 15-16 to join McDavid.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I trust Karlsson will be the elite talent he was in Ott at some point. I hope it's soon. It's kinda crazy how little he has moved our needle thus far, 1/4 through this regular season. So far, we are playing .500 hockey @ 11-7-4 we have lost exactly as many games as we won. That is on pace for roughly a 100 pt season, same as last year.

I don't think Karlsson is necessarily the reason. I do think our system and coaching has failed to capitalize on the new tool in our belt. If we don't figure it out soon, why on earth would he extend here. Misusing a star or failing to capitalize on his talents is a sure fire way to have him excercise his voting with his feet rights. Get it together, soon!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I trust Karlsson will be the elite talent he was in Ott at some point. I hope it's soon. It's kinda crazy how little he has moved our needle thus far, 1/4 through this regular season. So far, we are playing .500 hockey @ 11-7-4 we have lost exactly as many games as we won. That is on pace for roughly a 100 pt season, same as last year.

I don't think Karlsson is necessarily the reason. I do think our system and coaching has failed to capitalize on the new tool in our belt. If we don't figure it out soon, why on earth would he extend here. Misusing a star or failing to capitalize on his talents is a sure fire way to have him excercise his voting with his feet rights. Get it together, soon!

Karlsson absolutely has moved the needle and without him, this team probably isn’t in a playoff position.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Karlsson absolutely has moved the needle and without him, this team probably isn’t in a playoff position.
i disagree with the second part. Who in our division is better than we are without Karlsson (which includes Tierney back as 3/4 C and the cascade downward from there)? Calgary maybe. certainly not 3 teams

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm not sure I agree with this. PDB is kind of floundering with that level of talent and the results, and I'm not sure he makes so many self-inflicted injuries without Karlsson here. There is a chance that he does as well or better without Karlsson to this point.

The potential of the team however obviously with Karlsson is way better and if you ask me where we will be at the end of the season I still believe we will be a lot better off.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
i disagree with the second part. Who in our division is better than we are without Karlsson (which includes Tierney back as 3/4 C and the cascade downward from there)? Calgary maybe. certainly not 3 teams

I would argue that having Tierney back likely improves the Shark's point totals at this point in the season for a few reasons

- EK65 has not been a dominant force resulting in wins. He has had an impact but I feel at this point very few points have been the direct result of Ek65s play.

- No EK65 means less of an adjustment for everyone. PDB made changes based on adding a superstar and any of the forwards have not yet fully adjusted.

- Centre depth is improved. Tierney is a solid option in the three hole and while his offensive numbers aren't fantastic he is very solid in the Dzone and likely helps the team gain a few points by closing out some of those leads.

Now I am not saying the Sharks are better without EK65, I think it is quite the opposite. My point is solely that the system adjustments and lose of a solid 3rd line center have cost the Shark more points than EK65 has won them, at least to this point of the season.

Reactions: tiburon12

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
- Thinks the Shark have the potential to be really good, they are in a good position in the standings and it's a long season
- Puck luck and team change have both contributed to his lack of goal scoring
- Foot & ankle both feel fine
- Burns has the best beard on the team
- Karlsson is a very common last name.

Reactions: Lebanezer

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
- Thinks the Shark have the potential to be really good, they are in a good position in the standings and it's a long season
- Puck luck and team change have both contributed to his lack of goal scoring
- Foot & ankle both feel fine
- Burns has the best beard on the team
- Karlsson is a very common last name.
Thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad