Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I think EK’s starting to round into form. He’s one of those rare players who slows the game down to his pace whenever he has the puck due to his own abilities and the respect he is afforded from other players.

Side note, is Pete ever going to reunite Vlasic and EK? I know they weren’t instant world beaters when they were together (which wasn’t realistic anyway), but they dominated SF & SA/60, and that was without having a ton of time to acclamate to one another.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think EK’s starting to round into form. He’s one of those rare players who slows the game down to his pace whenever he has the puck due to his own abilities and the respect he is afforded from other players.

Side note, is Pete ever going to reunite Vlasic and EK? I know they weren’t instant world beaters when they were together (which wasn’t realistic anyway), but they dominated SF & SA/60, and that was without having a ton of time to acclamate to one another.
I would also like to see them back together or Ryan-Karlsson.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Side note, is Pete ever going to reunite Vlasic and EK?

That, right there is the rub. I don't expect Pete to do anything smart unless he stumbles into it.

I thought the pairing originally failed because both were offensive minded. An odd mindset for Vlasic. However, on paper, the EK - MEV pairing should be dominating. That will probably take MEV going back to being defensive/shutdown minded.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

I thought they did well together. The issues I was seeing was that the forwards as a whole were still adjusting to playing with EK as they were not ready for his passes save for basic breakout passes.

My guess is Pete is not going to reunite them until Braun is traded. DeBoer loves having a shutdown pair (think about his time with the Devils), and the only was we will get that pair back is if DW decides to do some GM'ing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought they did well together. The issues I was seeing was that the forwards as a whole were still adjusting to playing with EK as they were not ready for his passes save for basic breakout passes.

My guess is Pete is not going to reunite them until Braun is traded. DeBoer loves having a shutdown pair (think about his time with the Devils), and the only was we will get that pair back is if DW decides to do some GM'ing.

I don’t really mind the idea of a shutdown pairing but they should be situational based during the season. Just play them late when you’re up not all the time.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Karlsson absolutely has moved the needle and without him, this team probably isn’t in a playoff position.
My previous post stated we are playing 500 hockey and are on pace for the same amount of points as last year. Since then, we have won one and lost another, now 12-8-4 with a goal diff of +1, so still coin flip hockey. These results make the team a likely playoff, 1st round exit contender (but we are in pacific so likely overachieve and lose in the second). Sound familiar?

Karlsson has not yet moved this team from the tier we have been on to a top contender. For now, we are basically stuck in the same rut. Something has to change.

Until we translate talent into consistent wins, I will stay worried for our future. At a minimum, we need the next 24 games to be more like 15-6-3 with a diff of +18 or so. That is the kinda of needle movement that adding Karlsson should bring to this team.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
DeBoer has to start letting Karlsson skate the puck out more often. That's one of the best aspects of his game that's helped make him one of the best. It's like telling Burns "you can shoot, but only wrist shots." Erik's been up and down this season, but at times he turns it up and he's really effective and at times he looks very different stylistically than full flow EK. Without the puck-carrying side of his game, he's just a great outlet passer but little else - which is still a better D-man than 90% of D-men in the league, but not the guy Wilson acquired. I think the personnel on the team suits EK's abilities really well, but I'm starting to wonder if DeBoer's system is partially why he doesn't look fully comfortable offensively.

Reactions: Multigrain

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
DeBoer has to start letting Karlsson skate the puck out more often. That's one of the best aspects of his game that's helped make him one of the best. It's like telling Burns "you can shoot, but only wrist shots." Erik's been up and down this season, but at times he turns it up and he's really effective and at times he looks very different stylistically than full flow EK. Without the puck-carrying side of his game, he's just a great outlet passer but little else - which is still a better D-man than 90% of D-men in the league, but not the guy Wilson acquired. I think the personnel on the team suits EK's abilities really well, but I'm starting to wonder if DeBoer's system is partially why he doesn't look fully comfortable offensively.

the system most definitely has a lot to do with.

Last edited:

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Karlsson last night 27 minutes on ice, 0 sog, 0 hit, 0 blk, 0 pim, 0 A, 0 G, +/- 0 - 0 everything. What did he do last night? Stand in the corner avoiding any contact haha. I thought he was injured or something

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson last night 27 minutes on ice, 0 sog, 0 hit, 0 blk, 0 pim, 0 A, 0 G, +/- 0 - 0 everything. What did he do last night? Stand in the corner avoiding any contact haha. I thought he was injured or something

He pushed play pretty well but nothing materialized.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I watched the 1st 2 periods and though he did a decent job despite the stats. Burns on the other hand was atrocious yesterday for most of the part.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I watched the 1st 2 periods and though he did a decent job despite the stats. Burns on the other hand was atrocious yesterday for most of the part.

Burns getting walked like that and that rushed up pass that was a turnover stood out to me. I thought Hedican put the blame on the wrong guy for the 2nd goal. That was Couture's man and expecting a switch from that position is ludicrous, imo.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Karlsson made tons of great plays to get the puck out, he also got shots in for tips and set up guys for chances.

He had some turnovers but he was generally steady. Maybe not a dynamic game from him but he was far from the problem last night.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
That one shift on the PP with him, Burns, and Thornton was awesome.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Saw on the Athletic comments section one person say "Karlsson is playing like he doesn't want to be here" and another replied with something like "he's said he loves playing here"

I never watch the postgame interviews, has he actually expressed that he enjoys playing here? I'm not buying what that commenter said at all, but i also havent heard anything except neutral statements from Karlsson (again, i can't watch post game interviews)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Saw on the Athletic comments section one person say "Karlsson is playing like he doesn't want to be here" and another replied with something like "he's said he loves playing here"

I never watch the postgame interviews, has he actually expressed that he enjoys playing here? I'm not buying what that commenter said at all, but i also havent heard anything except neutral statements from Karlsson (again, i can't watch post game interviews)
From a Kurz article today.

In what should be music to many Sharks fans’ ears, Karlsson seems to be developing an appreciation for the Bay Area.
“It’s been great. The Bay Area is great,” he said Monday in Buffalo. “A lot of things to do around there. A lot of things to see and watch. We’ve been out and about quite a bit. Obviously the weather helps a little bit, too. You get the opportunity to see more things outdoors. It’s been great. We like it a lot. My wife loves it, so it’s good. … It’s been nothing but positive.”

Paywall
What if the Sharks signed John Tavares instead of trading...

Reactions: slocal

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I guess he’s not ready to discuss it yet. You can hear the Sharks PR guy saying just tonight’s game, but EK is already walking away.

Obviously this is heavy on him.
Yesterday, I read something on an interview during practice that he informed all the media he was not going to talk about Ottawa.
It’s their job but that was rotten.
Karlsson is an amiable guy. He wears his heart on his sleeve. They shouldn’t have done that after he was fair enough to tell them what he wasn’t going to do.
Fans here are wondering if he’s going to sign here, b.s. such as this may rush him here.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
He said at Buffalo he talk when he is at Ottawa. He have a press conference friday. Yesterday first match i can see him play at tv. I remark is not interested to be hear. He don t skate with heart and not smile enough at the bench. People said it s his surgery affect is skating but last year after is return he skate fast of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad