Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

herm1978

Jun 29, 2011
You have to learn to distinguish between Swedish homers and Sens homers.

They're all yours now, we don't have any Swedes left.

Here's footage of them leaving our board.

7VMeE.gif

Don't forget about Pääjärvi! Or is he out and I missed it?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would argue that having Tierney back likely improves the Shark's point totals at this point in the season for a few reasons

- EK65 has not been a dominant force resulting in wins. He has had an impact but I feel at this point very few points have been the direct result of Ek65s play.

- No EK65 means less of an adjustment for everyone. PDB made changes based on adding a superstar and any of the forwards have not yet fully adjusted.

- Centre depth is improved. Tierney is a solid option in the three hole and while his offensive numbers aren't fantastic he is very solid in the Dzone and likely helps the team gain a few points by closing out some of those leads.

Now I am not saying the Sharks are better without EK65, I think it is quite the opposite. My point is solely that the system adjustments and lose of a solid 3rd line center have cost the Shark more points than EK65 has won them, at least to this point of the season.

Karlssons impact reaches farther then just himself. He opens space up for every one on the ice with him even if he is not playing at the top of his game.

And he also has an effect on burns also, having karlsson means that teams can't just shut him down with fear that karlsson will then light them up.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Karlssons impact reaches farther then just himself. He opens space up for every one on the ice with him even if he is not playing at the top of his game.

And he also has an effect on burns also, having karlsson means that teams can't just shut him down with fear that karlsson will then light them up.

I agree with you. As EK65 adjusts to his new team and as the Sharks continue to adjust his tangible benefit will increase as will his impact in the Wins column. My point was simply that returning with last season roster, minus Boedker plus Shovels would have resulted in a record that was at worst similar and likely better.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Once again it's taking time for the team to fully gel with Karlsson. I think within the next few weeks you'll see both the Sharks and Karlsson playing to their full potential.

Reactions: Ben White

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree with you. As EK65 adjusts to his new team and as the Sharks continue to adjust his tangible benefit will increase as will his impact in the Wins column. My point was simply that returning with last season roster, minus Boedker plus Shovels would have resulted in a record that was at worst similar and likely better.

I don't, tierney was not going to put up the points he has with ottawa here. And same goes for demelo. So lets just get that part out now.

So same feed burns the puck for 25 minutes a night where he is being watched like a hawk so he has no time or space to work his magic.

Same braun/vlasic being hardcore matched versus the top lines on the other team for 22 minutes a night.

With karlsson opens both of those up for lighter duty.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I don't, tierney was not going to put up the points he has with ottawa here. And same goes for demelo. So lets just get that part out now.

So same feed burns the puck for 25 minutes a night where he is being watched like a hawk so he has no time or space to work his magic.

Same braun/vlasic being hardcore matched versus the top lines on the other team for 22 minutes a night.

With karlsson opens both of those up for lighter duty.

Nothing here I disagree with.

Not having EK65 means the PDB likely deploys close to the same system he used last season. So less aggressive offensive play from the blueline which translates to less odd man chances against.

While unlikely that Tierney would be putting up his Ottawa number here, Suomela's offensive totals are slightly behind last year's Tierney and having Tierney over an NHL rookie means better defensive coverage. Not a knock against Suomela just the reality of him being new to the league.

You also start the season with your top 4D set and highly likely the same bottom pairing as last season.

All of these things suggest to me that the Sharks would be in a slightly better position in the standings. However, THAT team isn't getting out of the Western Conference. THIS team with EK65 has the pieces, assuming they find their identity, to win the West.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nothing here I disagree with.

Not having EK65 means the PDB likely deploys close to the same system he used last season. So less aggressive offensive play from the blueline which translates to less odd man chances against.

While unlikely that Tierney would be putting up his Ottawa number here, Suomela's offensive totals are slightly behind last year's Tierney and having Tierney over an NHL rookie means better defensive coverage. Not a knock against Suomela just the reality of him being new to the league.

You also start the season with your top 4D set and highly likely the same bottom pairing as last season.

All of these things suggest to me that the Sharks would be in a slightly better position in the standings. However, THAT team isn't getting out of the Western Conference. THIS team with EK65 has the pieces, assuming they find their identity, to win the West.

Have you ever watched Tierney or Suomela play?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yes, and IMO at this point, Tierney is the better player in his own zone. He also wouldn't have needed to learn a new system.

IMO Suomela is a lot better at 5V5 and every statistic says Suomela is a lot better. Suomela learned the system flawlessly.

Tierney was a better PK’er than Suomela but it’s not as if Tierney’s PK work is missed by a team whose PK went from 2nd in the NHL sat 84.8% to 2nd in the NHL at 89.2%.

Player at 5V5P/60iCF/60iHDCF/60ixGF/60CF%RelCF%GF%RelGF%HDCF%RelHDCF%xGF%RelxGF%
Suomela2.1115.796.321.1756.43%0.33%66.67%20.99%58.24%3.75%57.53%1.71%
Tierney1.318.493.530.6249.26%-2.22%46.84%-2.96%47.72%-4.69%50.07%-2.57%
Difference in favor of Suomela0.87.32.790.557.17%2.55%19.83%23.95%10.52%8.44%7.46%4.28%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Don't confuse Tierney's PK work with his defensive prowess at ES. Caved in Chris was a tire fire who got totally destroyed on the ice when he wasn't with Timo Meier. Suomela, meanwhile, is spending a good majority of his time either on the 4th line with Melker Karlsson, or on the 3rd line with a struggling Donskoi, and is MUCH better at everything at 5v5. Suomela has literally been on the ice for 4 goals against in the 21 games that he has played. I can't even tell you quite how ridiculously good that is. If by some measure Suomela is not actually a fantastic defensive player, it has not translated to goals against, so it hasn't hurt the team yet.

Suomela is a massive upgrade on Tierney and because Tierney would have blocked him, we can conclude that trading Tierney was literally addition by subtraction. The same goes for Dylan DeMelo who would have probably been in the lineup over Joakim Ryan. The NHL pieces we lost in that deal were addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
IMO Suomela is a lot better at 5V5 and every statistic says Suomela is a lot better. Suomela learned the system flawlessly.

Tierney was a better PK’er than Suomela but it’s not as if Tierney’s PK work is missed by a team whose PK went from 2nd in the NHL sat 84.8% to 2nd in the NHL at 89.2%.

Really not interested in debating who the better player is since it doesn't have much of an impact on my original point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
thought he was pretty meh but superstars gonna superstar lol

also what happened in the 3rd? did ek get injured? i dont think i saw him on the ice after the M Karlsson goal

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
thought he was pretty meh but superstars gonna superstar lol

also what happened in the 3rd? did ek get injured? i dont think i saw him on the ice after the M Karlsson goal

As somebody who was at the game, the entire team felt pretty meh. I thought Burns was pretty fantastic, and Dell was too, but everybody else was pretty meh.

I mean, they were playing against the 2nd worst team in the NHL, so it makes sense.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Just was rested because of the game tomorrow.

i guess but its weird that Deboer didnt rest Burns or his golden boy Vlasic.

As somebody who was at the game, the entire team felt pretty meh. I thought Burns was pretty fantastic, and Dell was too, but everybody else was pretty meh.

I mean, they were playing against the 2nd worst team in the NHL, so it makes sense.

yea burns was a beast. I liked Radil too.

Reactions: CaptainShark

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

yea burns was a beast. I liked Radil too.

Funny story, the last game I went to, I ran into Radil in the bathroom, and told him that I knew he would make the NHL and wished him good luck. Tonight, I was there to see his first NHL game. :)

This was actually one of the best defensive games I’ve ever seen from Burns. His shut down defensive play in his own zone was absolutely top notch.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

DeBoer probably thought Roussel would go after Erik if he was out there. Burns and Vlasic are bigger and stronger.

I 'ohno. Maybe he's planning on playing Karl 27 minutes tomorrow.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Funny story, the last game I went to, I ran into Radil in the bathroom, and told him that I knew he would make the NHL and wished him good luck. Tonight, I was there to see his first NHL game. :)

This was actually one of the best defensive games I’ve ever seen from Burns. His shut down defensive play in his own zone was absolutely top notch.

yea when burns has his head in the game hes just so dominating defensively with his speed, size and stick. just dominates the puck if its near him.

he's got amazing hand eye as well.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How do you run into a player in the bathroom?

I had club seats for that game. The club is a bit exclusive (nothing expensive or crazy) and the AHL players sometimes hang out there. I’ve seen Sharks GM Doug Wilson in there before. (Radil was with the Barracuda at the time)

Radil walked in and seemed shocked that I recognized him. I didn’t want to bother him but it was just instinctual for me to say his name after I figured out who that face was that I recognized. :laugh:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I had club seats for that game. The club is a bit exclusive (nothing expensive or crazy) and the AHL players sometimes hang out there. I’ve seen Sharks GM Doug Wilson in there before. (Radil was with the Barracuda at the time)

Radil walked in and seemed shocked that I recognized him. I didn’t want to bother him but it was just instinctual for me to say his name after I figured out who that face was that I recognized. :laugh:

Ha, nice.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
Still early in the season...Karlsson is bound to explode once he gets fully comfortable. Really hoping he lights up Ottawa next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad