Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yeah, no.

Well, actually yes.

Karlsson played 9 season here. In those 9 seasons, he led the team in scoring 5 times. He won 2 Norris trophies. He put in one of the best playoff performance many have ever seen, taking the team to game 7 of the ECF. Even when counting last season's disaster, Ottawa had a 332-283 record with him.

The team without Karlsson has played 6 games. After those 6 games, we have a 3-2-1 record. We're 5th in our division, by winning percentage.

And after this "great start", you think we're better off without Karlsson. You've declared that it was, essentially, addition by subtraction.

Crazy!

Last edited:

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Is that a problem with Karlsson though, or is that a problem with coaching?

Every star player will want the puck. Matthews wants the puck. Tavares wants the puck. Ovechkin wants the puck.

Guy Boucher designed the entire system the last 2 years around Karlsson. The entire idea behind the LD stepping up and dumping the puck to the RD was because he had Karlsson. Nothing else.

When we had Methot stepping up and a healthy Karlsson, it worked well. We got to the ECF.

When we had Oduya stepping up and a recovering from major surgery Karlsson, it didn't. We lost, and like I said before, a losing team filled with established veterans is going to go south, fast.

Boucher never adapted.

So far this year, he has. Let's see how it goes.[/QUOTE
There were reports that Karlsson was the one who gave the ok to go after Oduya. The media reported that a meeting was arranged.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
There were reports that Karlsson was the one who gave the ok to go after Oduya. The media reported that a meeting was arranged.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, actually yes.

Karlsson played 9 season here. In those 9 seasons, he led the team in scoring 5 times. He won 2 Norris trophies. He put in one of the best playoff performance many have ever seen, taking the team to game 7 of the ECF.

The team without Karlsson has played 6 games. After those 6 games, we have a .500 record. We're 5th in our division, by winning percentage.

And after this "great start", you think we're better off without Karlsson. You've declared that it was, essentially, addition by subtraction.

Crazy!

I feel as though I have tried explaining that EK becoming an issue in the locker room doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player for us in the past, or a good person in general. These guys are just people, and people often don’t get along.

It is my opinion that a person can be great at hockey, and have relationships sour over time. This team may end up being better off going forward. A rebuild is not really a place for a massive ego, or a singular player wanting to do it all himself, even if he’s talented enough to do it. As it stands our crop of kids have a couple solid leaders to look up to and there is a ton of ice time to go around, and a lot of responsibility to be shared.

Now you seem to feel the need to argue that there is no fire to go along with all of the smoke, that the players who were blatant in their comments are wrong, and that losing EK is a tragedy despite it not actually looking that way at the moment. Fair enough, many fans will struggle dealing with the loss based on how attached they got to the player.

The team seems to be happier going forward, and are playing like it. It’s great to see for some fans, and given what has been coming out it makes a lot of sense as to why that is.

Reactions: pzeeman

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I feel as though I have tried explaining that EK becoming an issue in the locker room doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player for us in the past, or a good person in general. These guys are just people, and people often don’t get along.

It is my opinion that a person can be great at hockey, and have relationships sour over time. This team may end up being better off going forward. A rebuild is not really a place for a massive ego, or a singular player wanting to do it all himself, even if he’s talented enough to do it. As it stands our crop of kids have a couple solid leaders to look up to and there is a ton of ice time to go around, and a lot of responsibility to be shared.

Now you seem to feel the need to argue that there is no fire to go along with all of the smoke, that the players who were blatant in their comments are wrong, and that losing EK is a tragedy despite it not actually looking that way at the moment. Fair enough, many fans will struggle dealing with the loss based on how attached they got to the player.

The team seems to be happier going forward, and are playing like it. It’s great to see for some fans, and given what has been coming out it makes a lot of sense as to why that is.

Karlsson being some locker room menance based off everything we have seen so far in his career seems a bit much.

The team wasn't happy because they weren't winning and the big locker room disturbance was f***ing Melnyk and Dorion making a joke of this club.

Let's see how happy this group is in the midst of a losing streak. Because it's gonna come.

Reactions: Deku

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's almost as funny as watching the fans who, after 6 games of up-and-down .500 hockey, have determined that this franchise is better off without a HOF calibre defenseman who led the team in scoring his last 5 seasons and won two Norris trophies.

They're same fans who've deemed that the player who's 3rd in the league in assists since 13/14 (behind only Sidney Crosby and Niklas Backstrom) as selfish, after reading one comment from Chris Wideman.

Who needs star players when you have Mark Borowiecki and Chris Wideman liking each other.

Amazing!

I'll tell you what's amazing Dave. I don't have an issue with the team moving on from Karlsson. Posters such as yourself are not interested in any kind of discuss on the subject, any rational assessment of the return, any examination of future potential.

instead you push forward hyperbole such as I'm ok with a team of Boro.

at this point I'll stop. I don't want to insult your intellect which is where we're going here

Reactions: Ice-Tray

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I'll tell you what's amazing Dave. I don't have an issue with the team moving on from Karlsson. Posters such as yourself are not interested in any kind of discuss on the subject, any rational assessment of the return, any examination of future potential.

instead you push forward hyperbole such as I'm ok with a team of Boro.

at this point I'll stop. I don't want to insult your intellect which is where we're going here

Move on from having to rebut ridiculously spun quotes to make it seem like EK was the problem instead of being able to focus the discussion on the problems that are still here? Where do I sign up.

It's not pro Karlsson posters that keep grabbing every tweet and quote and posting it in the threads with a "Wideman said the team had a good practice...must mean EK is an A$sh0l#"

I am literally going to start responding to these quotes by taking random quotes from players in the past to show that every quote from a player on a team after another player has been traded can be spun in a negative light. Here, let's try it:

“I tried to convince him to sign, then a trade possibility. He said I basically have to do this for myself.” - Bryan Murray indicating how Alfie was selfish. Good thing we got rid of him.

"Sidney is more a skater and Pavel is more a playmaker." - Hossa indicating how Sidney Crosby is selfish and doesn't pass the puck.

Unless you have a quote directly stating EK's name then YES, it is subjective and NO, the quotes are not blatant.

And regardless...nobody has answered why does it matter??? Even IF there were issues, it's nothing (obviously Hoffman aside) that couldn't have been overcome as many teams have overcome players with issues before. Like this very team, less than 6 months earlier FFS.

So yes, would love to stop talking about why a player who is no longer with the team was a cause of problems with the team in the past, and how none-of it was significantly relevant then or now, and how it is all being used to obfuscate that the team is being run by a GM with no success other than the playoff run he got on the back of Karlsson, who just completely pulled a 180 on the direction of the franchise.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Karlsson being some locker room menance based off everything we have seen so far in his career seems a bit much.

The team wasn't happy because they weren't winning and the big locker room disturbance was ****ing Melnyk and Dorion making a joke of this club.

Let's see how happy this group is in the midst of a losing streak. Because it's gonna come.

I know what you mean, but this arguing to the extreme has to stop. No one is trying to say the EK is a menace. Taking up most of the oxygen in the room is the best analogy I've seen to describe it.

Guys are happier that he's gone, and that's not going to change with a losing streak. Losing sucks, but none of them were blaming losing as the issue, losing was a symptom of the issue. It's about how each player feels that they are important to the team, that they have a role and responsibilities, it's not as simplistic as just wining.

There really is no need for people to get defensive in here, the emotional investment in people's internal image of EK is curious. The players who have made comments know the guy and are in the room and on the ice, not a single one of you know him beyond his media sound bites, but as usual you're all experts on who EK is and what the locker room was like last year.

EM and PD are not responsible for the locker room issues, that is one of the more ridiculous things floating around. The lengths folks are willing to go to try and defend EK have made hypocrites out of many.

I have been as clear as I can that none of this means he's a bad guy, that he's not a special player, or that his time here has somehow been tarnished.

Anyways, good chats.

Reactions: pzeeman

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Move on from having to rebut ridiculously spun quotes to make it seem like EK was the problem instead of being able to focus the discussion on the problems that are still here? Where do I sign up.

It's not pro Karlsson posters that keep grabbing every tweet and quote and posting it in the threads with a "Wideman said the team had a good practice...must mean EK is an A$sh0l#"

I am literally going to start responding to these quotes by taking random quotes from players in the past to show that every quote from a player on a team after another player has been traded can be spun in a negative light. Here, let's try it:

“I tried to convince him to sign, then a trade possibility. He said I basically have to do this for myself.” - Bryan Murray indicating how Alfie was selfish. Good thing we got rid of him.

"Sidney is more a skater and Pavel is more a playmaker." - Hossa indicating how Sidney Crosby is selfish and doesn't pass the puck.

Unless you have a quote directly stating EK's name then YES, it is subjective and NO, the quotes are not blatant.

And regardless...nobody has answered why does it matter??? Even IF there were issues, it's nothing (obviously Hoffman aside) that couldn't have been overcome as many teams have overcome players with issues before. Like this very team, less than 6 months earlier FFS.

So yes, would love to stop talking about why a player who is no longer with the team was a cause of problems with the team in the past, and how none-of it was significantly relevant then or now, and how it is all being used to obfuscate that the team is being run by a GM with no success other than the playoff run he got on the back of Karlsson, who just completely pulled a 180 on the direction of the franchise.

If nothing else this post is a clear indication that you have a strong personal and emotional attachment to a stranger that is clouding your ability to look at the topic of discussion with a level head.

You don't actually know EK or anything about the guy, and yet things being said directly by people who know and work with him are not having any effect on your opinions on the situation.

'Nuff said really.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know what you mean, but this arguing to the extreme has to stop. No one is trying to say the EK is a menace. Taking up most of the oxygen in the room is the best analogy I've seen to describe it.

Guys are happier that he's gone, and that's not going to change with a losing streak. Losing sucks, but none of them were blaming losing as the issue, losing was a symptom of the issue. It's about how each player feels that they are important to the team, that they have a role and responsibilities, it's not as simplistic as just wining.

There really is no need for people to get defensive in here, the emotional investment in people's internal image of EK is curious. The players who have made comments know the guy and are in the room and on the ice, not a single one of you know him beyond his media sound bites, but as usual you're all experts on who EK is and what the locker room was like last year.

EM and PD are not responsible for the locker room issues, that is one of the more ridiculous things floating around. The lengths folks are willing to go to try and defend EK have made hypocrites out of many.

I have been as clear as I can that none of this means he's a bad guy, that he's not a special player, or that his time here has somehow been tarnished.

Anyways, good chats.

To your point, the extremism essentially shuts down any meaningful discourse.

Melnyk is losing money....you are on the payroll!

Karlsson was not the most popular guy in the room....you want a team full of Boros?

Team is off to a good start, all things considered...wow you think we are better off without Karlsson? What a buffoon, or Dorion lover, Melnyk Lover, shill, etc...

Lets try and meet somewhere in the middle guy and gals.

Reactions: Smash88

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To your point, the extremism essentially shuts down any meaningful discourse.

Melnyk is losing money....you are on the payroll!

Karlsson was not the most popular guy in the room....you want a team full of Boros?

Team is off to a good start, all things considered...wow you think we are better off without Karlsson? What a buffoon, or Dorion lover, Melnyk Lover, shill, etc...

Lets try and meet somewhere in the middle guy and gals.

Exactly... I mean with this much smoke from respected guys in the room and team media alike you'd think everyone would be surprised and interested in getting more information.

Instead we see posters defending and deflecting and trying to shut down discussion, well past the point of making any legitimate sense.

The fact that many of these same posters feel so free to insult management and players not named EK with impunity and with less supporting evidence is laughable.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The issue is that we've already seen this happen with every star player who has ever left the team (through free agency, trade, ect). Player A leaves. Management and team media make Player A out to be the bad guy. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe Karlsson was an issue, maybe he was even THE issue. Problem is that I'm not taking the word of this snake oil salesman of a franchise at this point. I'm well aware it's an issue to draw that kind of line in the sand and it doesn't support any kind of healthy debate, but I feel actively lied to as a fan (and because of this I'm almost led to believe the exact opposite of what the organization is spewing out, rightly or wrongly).

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Anyways, good chats.

Cmon.. culture starts at the top of any organization, and if you don't believe that then you've never worked in an environment where you're close enough to to upper management to realize it. To think that EM's embarrassing behaviour, and PD's clown job of being a GM had no effect on the state of the locker room is quite frankly ludicrous.

They alienated and pissed off their captain and franchise player so much so that he became a source of toxicity within the room, when he otherwise never was in the past. After all that EK did for the team, and how long he had been here, that should have never happened.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Anyways, good chats.

what kills me is the newly emerging
"ok with a team of Boros"

I'm ok with the team having moved on from EK but to be told that means I'm ok with a team of Boros as a result. That is either someone wanting an argument or someone dealing with pretty limited reasoning skills

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Without getting in to the whole "he said, she said" speculation about who these quotes could be referring to, the thought of Wideman criticizing Karlsson is hilarious.

One is the best defense man in the world, while the other is a bottom pairing PP specialist.

Next we'll hear Eric Gryba criticizing McDavid or Cal Clutterbuck talking smack about Tavares.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
If nothing else this post is a clear indication that you have a strong personal and emotional attachment to a stranger that is clouding your ability to look at the topic of discussion with a level head.

You don't actually know EK or anything about the guy, and yet things being said directly by people who know and work with him are not having any effect on your opinions on the situation.

'Nuff said really.

And you are making the exact same claims, ignoring things being said directly by people who know him, or management.

Except that I don't have any problem saying that EK, or Hoffman, or Stone or the janitor is a bad person...because it doesn't matter.

Despite your continuous attempts to brings this all back to"your just an EK fanboy" argument, our difference of opinion doesn't have anything to do with EK and everything to do with your belief that EM/PD had no responsibility or part in the team dynamic last year or a responsibility to fix it without trading half the team away. If nobody gets along and it effects performance then it's on PD for putting the wrong players together, for hiring the wrong coach to lead them, for dictating the wrong internal cultural values, for being too involved/not enough involved in the team dynamic, etc. I have heard multiple ex-GMs on radio/TV comment that PD should have been aware of the issues. If I have to find them I will but we both know you are not going to find ANY soundbites saying the opposite.

Stop trying to argue that people are wrong because you believe that they have a bias. That's not an argument. If the points have merit then they have merit. If you think they have bias ask for factual clarification. If they don't have it then agree to disagree.

Saying someone has a bias that is blocking them from realizing the truth is basically calling them stupid. And yes posters do the same to EM supports, they shouldn't. How about we just stick with what we believe is the truth and leave it at that if we can't agree.

The fact that many of these same posters feel so free to insult management and players not named EK with impunity and with less supporting evidence is laughable.

For example, can you clarify the above statement. Are you saying their is more negative press out there about EK than about EM/PD?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The issue is that we've already seen this happen with every star player who has ever left the team (through free agency, trade, ect). Player A leaves. Management and team media make Player A out to be the bad guy. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe Karlsson was an issue, maybe he was even THE issue. Problem is that I'm not taking the word of this snake oil salesman of a franchise at this point. I'm well aware it's an issue to draw that kind of line in the sand and it doesn't support any kind of healthy debate, but I feel actively lied to as a fan (and because of this I'm almost led to believe the exact opposite of what the organization is spewing out, rightly or wrongly).

Actually, management has stated nothing about Karlsson's departure. Only people to talk have been his former teammates and Karlsson himself with his woe is me interview.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Actually, management has stated nothing about Karlsson's departure. Only people to talk have been his former teammates and Karlsson himself with his woe is me interview.

The management speak through the media, it's naive to think otherwise.

Nice shot at him with the thinly veiled criticism of a "woe is me" interview though. Not like the guys entire life had just been flipped upside down or anything.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The management speak through the media, it's naive to think otherwise.

Nice shot at him with the thinly veiled criticism of a "woe is me" interview though. Not like the guys entire life had just been flipped upside down or anything.

Exactly. "woe is me". What would you like to call it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad