Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
If Eugene wants my love back all it would take would be signing these 3 UFA's.

Karlsson, Methot, Spezza

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
“I think it’s more opportunity for all the D,” Wideman said. “I think we’re going to have to elevate our game. Nothing too crazy. You can’t replace Erik. We can do the best we can without him, but there’s no other Erik Karlsson on our team or in this league or on the planet. He’s one of a kind. When he gets back it’ll be a big boost, but for now we’ve got to do as well as we can without him.”

During the time he played with him Widemans quote about Karlsson. I have never seen anything negative , During TV and radio interviews he seems to always acknowledge Karlsson as one of the greatest NHL players.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Karlsson is full of himself, but he projects a humble image for the cameras. It’s evident that his old teammates are happy he left, and his new teammates aren’t really accepting of him.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Hmmmmm.....I told you people before, he is not happy there at all......proof is in the video. He is trying, but he resents being there. I know.
If only we could've found a way to keep him in Ottawa... Hmmm

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Karlsson is full of himself, but he projects a humble image for the cameras. It’s evident that his old teammates are happy he left, and his new teammates aren’t really accepting of him.
Lol ok. It's not that deep.

2050d304b7cd07b616bab1f57130c80c.gif

Confirmed: Stone disliked by teammates.

Reactions: Deku and Acidrain66

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
If only we could've found a way to keep him in Ottawa... Hmmm

He was offered a contract, followed by him refusing, which subsequently left management no choice but to trade him. Otherwise, if they had no intention of keeping him, why did they offer him a contract?

Gotta call a spade a spade, even if Melnyk is a terrible owner.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
He was offered a contract, followed by him refusing which shot subsequently left management no choice but to trade him. Otherwise, if they had no intention of keeping him, why did they offer him a contract?

Gotta call a spade a spade, even if Melnyk is a terrible owner.
Haha.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I really don’t see why players talking directly about the lock room is BS, or how it is in any way related to EM or PD. This seems like an obvious reach to me, and clear avoidance.

It seems obvious to me that players would say the regular platitudes about each other when they’re all on the same team, it’s when people are gone that we sometimes get some insight into how things really were. For their part the team has not said a single negative thing about EK, this has all come from the players.... Nice try though, I guess....

Anyways, I find the comments really interesting given that we don’t usually get insight into dressing room chemistry, and the fact that these comments have come from Duchene, Anderson, Stone, Wideman, and allegedly Brassard, makes things even spicier.

You guys go full bore on far less information on the regular, and yet here we are with Ice-Tray and friends being the big bad boogie men again, with EK as the hapless victim this time... lol...

Nac is making straw men about Stone and Duchy, North is going on and on and on deflecting, and the rest of the posse is defending like EK was cutting cheques (lol, you guys get paid for this stuff too right??)

The good news is that we have a team that plays for each other now, and is working hard for each other. It’s good news going forward. This seems to be what a team starts to look like when you put a premium on character along with talent.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Eugene wants my love back all it would take would be signing these 3 UFA's.

Karlsson, Methot, Spezza

Methot would be 34 years old, before next season, and hobbled by injuries.

Karlsson walked away from a reportedly 88 million dollar offer from Ottawa, and that offer, that he left on the table, is going to look pretty good compared to the offers he'll be seeing in July, if he becomes an UFA.

Spezza is pretty much done, he turns 36 next summer.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not even EKs camp have denied the offer was made.

People in here are the ones who feel that it wasn’t legitimate because it didn’t have the potentially team crippling bonus structures in the deal.

In addition, I think it’s safe to say that a small market like Ottawa can not afford to get themselves into that kind of trouble with one player, especially one that will be 37 by the end of the deal, without being absolutely sure that this is a guy they can build the team around, and who wants to be here.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I really don’t see why players talking directly about the lock room is BS, or how it is in any way related to EM or PD. This seems like an obvious reach to me, and clear avoidance.

It seems obvious to me that players would say the regular platitudes about each other when they’re all on the same team, it’s when people are gone that we sometimes get some insight into how things really were. For their part the team has not said a single negative thing about EK, this has all come from the players.... Nice try though, I guess....

Anyways, I find the comments really interesting given that we don’t usually get insight into dressing room chemistry, and the fact that these comments have come from Duchene, Anderson, Stone, Wideman, and allegedly Brassard, makes things even spicier.

You guys go full bore on far less information on the regular, and yet here we are with Ice-Tray and friends being the big bad boogie men again, with EK as the hapless victim this time... lol...

Nac is making straw men about Stone and Duchy, North is going on and on and on deflecting, and the rest of the posse is defending like EK was cutting cheques (lol, you guys get paid for this stuff too right??)

The good news is that we have a team that plays for each other now, and is working hard for each other. It’s good news going forward. This seems to be what a team starts to look like when you put a premium on character along with talent.
Did Brassard make comments about Karlsson after he was traded?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
EK has been my favourite player since Alfie left. He reached heights that no other player for us has ever done. I will always have great memories of his time here.

But I will admit that its not a stretch at all to point out that some guys are noticeably happy about the new direction the team chose to go in (trading him), while still being as diplomatic as possible.

I dont believe that EK was the only problem in the room, but its pretty obvious that he was at very least a part of it. With the loss of his child and the trade rumors swirling, its easy to believe that he might have become withdrawn from the room (or had an inner circle) which allowed all sorts of cliques to form. Which wont work from your captain.

I do believe that it was best for him and the team to part ways. I think that Erik might even need it to grow as person, and will be a better guy because of it.

And since the trade has started looking much better than the horrendous disaster that it first looked like, and we've seen kids thrive in their new roles, Ive lost all anger at this point, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad