Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why dissect it to that degree. Its a hockey team.. Every team I have been involved with as a player or a coach there is a lot of inequality when it comes to skill and ability . If the game is really chippy and physical , the stronger more physical players are more important, when you need a goal , the offensively talented players are more important, when you want to limit the chances of the other team' s better player, the checkers are more important. Its called being a team and accepting your role and accepting other players are going to play in situations better suited to them.. The concept of equality is not about the skill level , its about the belief that everyone is important and no 1 single player can do it on their own, and it takes everyone, in all roles, to get through the season... in that sense everyone is equal.. Its not about rating them by points or any other statistic. Its about going to war together.

You really want the players all to feel that way. If they think its different rules for some than others, then it doesn't feel as much like a team.

Don't salaries have a way of separating players sometimes & those who make the most usually get the most attention as well as more perks on & off the ice? You have to hope that the players making the most are cognizant of that & do as much as they can to include & do things for those players who don't make as much to solidify a team. For example Phaneuf has done a lot for other players while on this team & Stone having Tkachuk living with him & Anderson having Lajoie live with him.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Obviously every team wants to be as deep as possible .. If that's what you took from my point , I think you missed it.
If you spend over 30 million on your Cs are you better having them top heavy or spread more evenly through the lineup.. If you spend that much on your Cs something has to give somewhere. The top heavy is the norm; top 6 3rd line, 4th line.. with more $ going to the top 6 and as it is the norm it is what we have historically seen win. Its just an idea I am throwing out there . If you had a 2c and 3 2/3 tweeners that are good 2way players for say 21-22 million .. you could be deeper and better in a few other positions in the lineup. It would depend on the personnel. My pt initially was all about depth . The 2nd post was a response based based on my first post and was not meant to be taken in isolation.

I get ya.

I guess an example would be the 02-04 Sens Sens that had Bonk, White, and Fisher down the middle (good not great) but had Hossa, Alfie, and Havlat on the wings, with Redden, Chara, Phillips, and Volchenkov at the back.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Its just as hard to collect good depth.. so having it as a strategy may not be the best idea. Keep the best players you can ..
For sure, as we've seen first hand with the Senators, quality depth priced right can be hard to find.

I just think that a team with star power that lacks depth, could still end up winning it all. Whereas a team with no real star talent, will lose before the dance is over no matter how much depth they have.

This is all way too simplistic though, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Can you give some examples?

Can't find the reddit thread, just people regaling stories about interacting with Wideman on there, people who say they are employees too. I believe @BonkTastic has talked with employees about him as well, but I could be wrong.

So yes, it would be considered gossip, but its not like we havent listened to lots of Karlsson gossip all year anyway.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Can't find the reddit thread, just people regaling stories about interacting with Wideman on there, people who say they are employees too. I believe @BonkTastic has talked with employees about him as well, but I could be wrong.

So yes, it would be considered gossip, but its not like we havent listened to lots of Karlsson gossip all year anyway.

Thanks

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's not true though. Chabot is more important than the other 5. That's just the way it is. Most teams in the league have a #1 D-man that is the most important and gets the most responsibility.

I think your completely missing the point Wideman is making

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I didn't really read the thread but from some quotes it seems like there's been a bit of development here. I don't know, it sounds like a Subban situation where his ego was too big for the room and wasn't well liked by everyone. But to what the point is the question? It's impossible to make the unanimity.

At least Sens didn't trade EK for an older oft injured declining player :sarcasm:

EK was emotional and sometimes overreacted and even cursed after his teammates

But from that video, it seems that he was still in good terms with Brassard after it happened. Erik is a cool guy and seems to get along with people. Of course he is cocky and has a big ego, he's a star. But I still think he is capable of getting along with others.

I don't know, very hard to say about all this, we have so little info and we don't know what goes on behind the walls.

Note : Damn the youtube comments, makes HF look like a geniuses congress :amazed:

The video on "are you f***ing kidding me" was at the referri. I remember watching that and also wondered who he was yelling it to. But, if you watch the play, it was directed at the referri.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
All we keep hearing from the players is that there's a ton of emphasis by the players to involve everyone in everything. Last year, we had a couple of the guys go on a fishing trip during pre-season in PEI (Phaneuf, Karlsson, etc.). This year, they did the WHOLE team go to Tremblant, they had a golf competition that involved the WHOLE team. Stone bought tickets to Justin Timberlake for the WHOLE team. It's pretty obvious this was a problem based on how they're trying really really hard to do the opposite this year.

Even the rooming.... We have Tkachuk living with Stone and his GF; We have Lajoie living with the Andersons. They're really going above and beyond to make the kids part of the team with the vets instead of having the kids rooming with eachother and becoming a clique of their own.
The rookies living with veterans is not a new thing though. It happens in all teams.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I think Wideman needs to take into consideration 90% of the league wouldn't offer him a contract when he hits free agency when he wants to try and talk about a player at EKs level and talk about egos.
Funny... it reminds of this time I was watching a music show of some sort, back when Michael Bublé was just starting off. He was interviewed shortly after or before a song and... whatever led to that, he made some really strange, sarcastic, condescending remard about David Bowie. I mean... come on! LOL

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Funny... it reminds of this time I was watching a music show of some sort, back when Michael Bublé was just starting off. He was interviewed shortly after or before a song and... whatever led to that, he made some really strange, sarcastic, condescending remard about David Bowie. I mean... come on! LOL
Buble is a far better singer than Bowie.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad