Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I think Kyle Dubas just just pay whatever it takes to get Karlsson. Toronto won't need 1st round pick for next 3-4 years. They would be set instantly with Karlsson for years.

I would offer

2019 1st
2021 1st
2023 1st
Kapanen
Gardiner
Liljegren
You're insane

Reactions: amethyst

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dorion seems like a good guy. Hopefully he starts having some success there, or somewhere else. Tough situation to be in.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'll repost something I just wrote: "Man, this has to be the most common bit of misinformation bandied about when talking about Karlsson. The idea that he's somehow hellbent on getting to free-agency is totally made up and has no basis in fact. Please link me to the quote where Karlsson said anything about how his goal was to get to free-agency. I won't hold my breath. In fact, what he actually said was that he "is going to get paid what he's worth" in the context of someone asking him a ridiculous question about whether he'd take a "hometown discount." Saying you'll get paid what you're worth is not the same as saying you're going to free-agency no matter what."

Look, I don't disagree with what you said about attaching Ryan diminishing the return for Karlsson. But why are you spreading misinformation about how Karlsson has "his sights set on free agency." He's never been quoted as saying that. The hottest rumour about Karl is that he wants to go to Tampa and sign there longterm because they have a great chance of winning. Again, no mention of UFA. So please, where are you getting this from? It's made up.

I really do think the hold up on some teams is that they want to know they are getting Karlsson for years.

I think the return would be very good if a team felt confident in that.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
I think Kyle Dubas just just pay whatever it takes to get Karlsson. Toronto won't need 1st round picks for next 3-4 years. They would be set instantly with Karlsson for years.

I would offer

2019 1st
2020 1st
2021 1st
Kapanen
Gardiner
Liljegren

My man, have you switched from smoking pot to smoking crack?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Hope Bobby Ryan is part of the deal, will make it much more interesting.

Can someone please explain to me why Bobby Ryan would be part of the deal at this point. In addition to Karlsson, Ottawa will likely end up trading Duchene. It sure looks like Ottawa will need Ryan's contract to make it to the floor. But even if not, Melnyk can't be that cheap that he would significantly lower his return for Karlsson to save a few bucks on Bobby Ryan, or could he?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No, Tallon stated that he never offered the picks package to OTT that he did to SJ, Dorion wanted roster players.

Tallon said no, and negotiated a better deal with SJ.

Then Dorion came out and said he is old school, and doesnt like to trade within the division. So he took a worse deal and saw the player come back to the division anyways.
That's a lie. Dorion never said that.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Please inform what's wrong, and stop ****-talking.

First off, you should relax. Not really shit talking unless you get offended extremely easily. Personally, I think its a ton of value, and I'm not a Leafs fan. Three first round picks, a top prospect, a top 4 defenseman, and player who, according to Leafs fans, shows a lot of promise and can possibly be a top 6 winger. I think that is so much value, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of trades like this because of the magnitude of quality and quantity. Also, this completely destroys their farm for the future and possibly puts them in an extremely difficult cap situation.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can someone please explain to me why Bobby Ryan would be part of the deal at this point. In addition to Karlsson, Ottawa will likely end up trading Duchene. It sure looks like Ottawa will need Ryan's contract to make it to the floor. But even if not, Melnyk can't be that cheap that he would significantly lower his return for Karlsson to save a few bucks on Bobby Ryan, or could he?

First off, there's absolutely nothing suggesting Duchene is likely to be traded. As for the cap floor. Ottawa sits at 60.8M with 12f,6d,2g under contract while Stone and Ceci need contracts. Contracts for Stone and Ceci should be in that 11-13M range which should keep them above the floor of 58.8 if Karlsson and Ryan are traded, then you need to fill those empty roster spots. And if I were to guess they will carry at least one extra player during the season. Even trading Anderson doesnt create too much of an issue with meeting the cap floor.

I disagree with including Ryan but at this point it is what it is, they are cutting salary.

Reactions: Seven0two

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
First off, there's absolutely nothing suggesting Duchene is likely to be traded. As for the cap floor. Ottawa sits at 60.8M with 12f,6d,2g under contract while Stone and Ceci need contracts. Contracts for Stone and Ceci should be in that 11-13M range which should keep them above the floor of 58.8 if Karlsson and Ryan are traded, then you need to fill those empty roster spots. And if I were to guess they will carry at least one extra player during the season. Even trading Anderson doesnt create too much of an issue with meeting the cap floor.

I disagree with including Ryan but at this point it is what it is, they are cutting salary.

If they're worried about reaching the cap floor, might they take Clarkson and keep him on IR instead of LTIR? Or would that be floor circumvention?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If they're worried about reaching the cap floor, might they take Clarkson and keep him on IR instead of LTIR? Or would that be floor circumvention?

They can always do that as well. I don't see reaching the cap floor an issue tough.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
You're insane
I actually think the offer is fair.

Those are going to be late 1st round picks, you’re pretty going to the conference finals each year. Especially if you can keep everyone together.

You don’t need any other additions on defence when Karlsson can eat all of those minutes.

Breaking down the value

1-top prospect (expected)
2- 3 1st round picks, probably late and also staggered. One of them being FIVE years from now.
3-Kapanen looks promising but he isn’t some top line elite winger.
4-Gardiner is alright, I like him.

Leafs are also in our division, so we want to be compensated for facing our former captain the next 7 years.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I actually think the offer is fair.

Those are going to be late 1st round picks, you’re pretty going to the conference finals each year. Especially if you can keep everyone together.

You don’t need any other additions on defence when Karlsson can eat all of those minutes.

Breaking down the value

1-top prospect (expected)
2- 3 1st round picks, probably late and also staggered. One of them being FIVE years from now.
3-Kapanen looks promising but he isn’t some top line elite winger.
4-Gardiner is alright, I like him.

Leafs are also in our division, so we want to be compensated for facing our former captain the next 7 years.
Leafs can't afford to pay Karlsson for 7 years..

Reactions: Sen Of A Gun

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

I mean, I don’t want to crap on Ottawa while they’re down, but I can’t imagine Duchene wants any part of another rebuild and he’s a UFA after this year where he just saw how in demand centers are.

Reactions: amethyst

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I wonder if Buffalo makes a run at EK now. They have 3 2019 1sts and a lot of young prospects. Might want to pair Dahlin-EK for the next 8 years.

no. they already made a mistake of giving up assets for a guy they had to pay anyway. wait till he is a FA and then offer him money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad