Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Both sides in the pending sale are using the EK situation as leverage.

The Sens floated the bizarre "allow him to negotiate with other teams" to make it seem like a trade was imminent.

EK's camp responded in kind by refusing to negotiate with anyone.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As a leaf fan I just want him away from Tampa.

He can stay in Ottawa. All kidding aside they. Need a win. Erik re signing there would be their biggest win. Hope it works out but man......

10x8 with no major signing bonuses, then allowing Hjm to negotiate with Other teams? Kind of an insult.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

The Sens floated the bizarre "allow him to negotiate with other teams" to make it seem like a trade was imminent.

I'm sorry but your theory is just odd and seems like wishful thinking. Not saying you are wrong about it just think its a weird way to do business. At this point nothing surprises me about this story. The whole thing seemed odd to me from the beginning.

I also havent seen it refuted that he hasnt talked to anybody.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Thank you for finally providing a link. I couldnt find anything.

It still doesnt refute that he talked to teams. In fact it says he might be struggling to get a deal with TB at the moment. Might key word but I see a lot of "might" and "may" all over that article. This doesnt move us any closer to conclusions either way.
Fabricate much?

Here is what the article said

Tampa Bay Lighting would struggle to reach a long-term deal with Karlsson

That is Friedman commenting on TB's budget situation, not a negotiation between EK and TB.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Fabricate much?

Here is what the article said

Tampa Bay Lighting would struggle to reach a long-term deal with Karlsson

That is Friedman commenting on TB's budget situation, not a negotiation between EK and TB.

Ok thank you for the correction, but the article still doesnt deny or refute that any negotiations are happening.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa

I hate to tell you, but none of your theory is based on what's been reported by reputable sources.

You've built up in your mind this idea that all of this noise and smoke are just Melnyk trying to get more out of a sale for the team.

What kind of negotiating tactic is it to threaten to ruin the team before selling it? Do you really think that would drive up the price? "Hey buy my car for $5000 by noon or I'll crash it into a tree". Yet that's your theory.

The only reputable reports out of this are that Melnyk has no interest in selling the team, and Karlsson wants out as long as Melnyk is around so they are trying to move him.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

EK is worth more to a trading partner if he is willing to re-sign there.
I don't think Karlsson is willing/wanting to sign with anyone at this point.
I believe that he has watched the Tavares "courting period" and wants to go that same route.
A whole year to build up to allows teams to prepare cap room (and $$$) for him also the cap will go up next year very likely so more money in the system for a potential Karlsson huge payday.
Also why would he want to have a team trade for him and give up depth in a trade when he is hoping to have the best team around him when he tries to win a cup with them for the next seven years.

The Sens camp decides to allow him to negotiate with other teams not because they feel Karlsson will do that but maybe so other teams can contact him and try and persuade him to sign with them for that potential 8th year and giving the Sens a better return than what they have been offered so far. Also as a PR move they can say that they have tried to give Kalsson every opportunity to go where he wants.

Karlsson is refusing to negotiate with anyone not because he wants to stay in Ottawa but for the money and notoriety of waiting to be next year's July 1st big UFA fish.

I hope for Ottawa's sake that Melnyk sells the team but it just seems like wishful thinking to me.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
Provide a link showing he did negotiate with other teams.
I've provided you links and sources from the top(Melnyk & Daly) and you don't take them at face value (you don't take them at ANY value).

You're not allowed you use sources to make a point, all you're allowed to do is make up theories based on conjecture.

Oh, and learn how the burden of proof works. Of course you would claim something and when someones asks for proof, you say "prove me wrong!!!".

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
I hate to tell you, but none of your theory is based on what's been reported by reputable sources.

You've built up in your mind this idea that all of this noise and smoke are just Melnyk trying to get more out of a sale for the team.

What kind of negotiating tactic is it to threaten to ruin the team before selling it? Do you really think that would drive up the price? "Hey buy my car for $5000 by noon or I'll crash it into a tree". Yet that's your theory.

The only reputable reports out of this are that Melnyk has no interest in selling the team, and Karlsson wants out as long as Melnyk is around so they are trying to move him.
Stop bringing up proof, he doesn't believe in actual evidence.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Just curious. How many deals were reported in connection to this guys?

As i know, Vegas GM created 2 real offers. One on the trade deadline and one in the off-season. Any info about the package?

Then there was Dallas: Heiskanen as part of the deal. Again, any info about another players included?

Tampa Bay was (is?) the front-runner: Sergachev was rumored, but nothing else to know.

San Jose Sharks, NY Rangers and NY Islanders were others mentioned.

Are there any other know offers? At best with some links, that could be verified. Not Eklund.

Dallas never offered a deal with Heiskanen. If they did Karlsson would be a Dallas Stars player right now. The offer was rumoured to have Honka + pieces which is insanely vague because the pieces would have to be worth a lot if Honka is the name being floated

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Has there ever been a situation since the advent of internet where the existence of serious discussions involving the sale of a franchise in any sport have been kept under wraps?

The closest thing I can think of, and this is based on inside information, is that there was a party that never made it into the news that did have very preliminary discussions about buying the Devils about a year or two before the sale actually happened, but things didn't get all that far. The difference there of course is that it wasn't a secret that the Devils were for sale, and the owner wasn't issuing consistent denials. And even then, when serious buyers were in the mix, local media reported it even though the interest in hockey there is far less than it is in Canada.

If the time ever comes when Melnyk is seriously talking to a party about selling the team, we'll know exactly who it is and probably a lot more.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Has there ever been a situation since the advent of internet where the existence of serious discussions involving the sale of a franchise in any sport have been kept under wraps?

The closest thing I can think of, and this is based on inside information, is that there was a party that never made it into the news that did have very preliminary discussions about buying the Devils about a year or two before the sale actually happened, but things didn't get all that far. The difference there of course is that it wasn't a secret that the Devils were for sale, and the owner wasn't issuing consistent denials. And even then, when serious buyers were in the mix, local media reported it even though the interest in hockey there is far less than it is in Canada.

If the time ever comes when Melnyk is seriously talking to a party about selling the team, we'll know exactly who it is and probably a lot more.

Plus wouldnt you think the fans in Ottawa want to know concrete fact that it is happening? Wouldnt a potential buyer want people to know so that it could increase ticket sales and in turn making the sale worth more? His theory is wishful thinking which really nobody can refute either but still wishful. Which I understand, I call myself a positive and optimistic guy when it comes to my team. I would probably be wishful in my thinking as well. I do hope they sell because it sucks to deal with things like this as a fan. As a Bolts fan, I just want to see this end so we can stop talking about this lol.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Plus wouldnt you think the fans in Ottawa want to know concrete fact that it is happening? Wouldnt a potential buyer want people to know so that it could increase ticket sales and in turn making the sale worth more? His theory is wishful thinking which really nobody can refute either but still wishful. Which I understand, I call myself a positive and optimistic guy when it comes to my team. I would probably be wishful in my thinking as well. I do hope they sell because it sucks to deal with things like this as a fan. As a Bolts fan, I just want to see this end so we can stop talking about this lol.

I mean, there are reasons why buyers try to keep things confidential, which is primarily to stop other parties from jumping in to bid the price up, and Melnyk would almost certainly be required to sign a confidentiality agreement. But there's a difference between confidentiality and keeping things completely under wraps, which is virtually impossible.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
If they trade, it would happen around this time and Vegas hockey would get even more exciting...

Personally I think it would still be a huge mistake.
For Vegas or us? What if it was Tartar+Glass+Miller+picks.
For EK+Ryan. Moving Tartar for Ryan lessens the financial impact of absorbing his contract.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Terrible with google or issues with the truth?

Rumor: Erik Karlsson Will Stay With The Ottawa Senators If Ownership Changes

"The belief from a lot of players is that, all things being equal...Erik Karlsson would like to be an Ottawa Senator. The problem is he doesn't want to be an Ottawa Senator under this situation," Friedman said.

You don't need links for that. He would probably openly ask for a trade if he 100% wanted out. It's Melnyk, no doubt about it. Hoffman is not a distraction anymore, but for Karlsson to stay given the circumstances, even with Melnyk out, I think a lot of things has to be just right. Starts with upping that $10m offer.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's not like him and Melnyk are getting in a fight if they see each other in the hallway. He'll play out the season for the Sens just fine. Tough decision to make at the deadline if he's not extended or the team hasn't sold.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I see that this is now starting to become a narrative here. The only place on google that has *anything* about this.....is here in this thread! LOL

We need to stop with this.

It's as provable as my saying the Caps are the front runner to acquire Karlsson at 50% retained, main piece is Christian Djoos...with Andre Burakovsky thrown in to make the salaries work! (prove me wrong!)

Sure, it may make some sense -- or it makes just as much sense that the teams that have some semblance of contract terms w EK do not have trade terms w Dorion. All we know is that EK is still a Sen, he has publicly turned down an offer of 8x10m, and the Sens have publicly allowed other teams to talk to team EK about an extension.

Nothing else has been reported as fact from the Sens or Camp Karlsson.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I see that this is now starting to become a narrative here. The only place on google that has *anything* about this.....is here in this thread! LOL

We need to stop with this.

It's as provable as my saying the Caps are the front runner to acquire Karlsson at 50% retained, main piece is Christian Djoos...with Andre Burakovsky thrown in to make the salaries work! (prove me wrong!)

Sure, it may make some sense -- or it makes just as much sense that the teams that have some semblance of contract terms w EK do not have trade terms w Dorion. All we know is that EK is still a Sen, he has publicly turned down an offer of 8x10m, and the Sens have publicly allowed other teams to talk to team EK about an extension.

Nothing else has been reported as fact from the Sens or Camp Karlsson.
What city do you live in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA