Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Throw in Vasilevskiy for good measure.

I don't think it's that unreasonable. I wouldn't blink giving up Nylander+Liljegren+1st+ for a signed Karlsson. I can see your point if you only consider the first half of the offer though, no way anyone gives up two assets like that for Karlsson unless a deal is in place.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If that were true, and he really did enjoy playing in Kanata, he'd have signed an extension already instead of rejecting their lowball offer.

But with Melnyk running the show, and the whole toxic atmosphere that was prevalent last season, it really doesn't seem like he wants to stick around.

I hope Dorion makes that trade soon.....seems like it's holding up a lot of other moves around the league, and EK's value will only diminish as the next trade deadline nears. Less money for a rental, y'know? :help:

You just argued with him by repeating what he said.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There is zero chance that Ottawa gets Sergachev and Point in a trade for Karlsson. Not even a signed one. SY says no thanks we will find help elsewhere.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You just argued with him by repeating what he said.

I just think if EK wanted to stay in Ottawa, he'd have signed by now.

Even if he and Melnyk don't see eye to eye - and it doesn't seem like Melnyk sees eye to eye with anyone these days - you'd think Karlsson would at least return to Ottawa for the love of the team, or his legions of fans, whatever the case may be. But that hasn't happened yet.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Paid wall.

Some quotes of interest, even though he focuses on Patches more than EK:

There is a lesson to be learned from what transpired in the NBA on Wednesday for Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin. Well, the whole NHL, really, but for our purposes Bergevin will do. Pierre Dorion might want to listen up in Ottawa as well.

The San Antonio Spurs were faced with a situation where they had to trade a superstar player, and everyone knew it. They had next to no leverage in having to trade Kawhi Leonard, easily a top-5 player in the world, but one whose health is a serious question mark and who has publicly made clear his desire to become a free agent next summer and sign in his hometown of Los Angeles.

General manager R.C. Buford and coach Gregg Popovich had an idea of what they wanted in return for Leonard, and it was surely more than what they ultimately got,

The Spurs might have been able to wait it out and get something better, something with more young players and more picks, but they didn’t.
The reward is that this is now behind them and they can look forward.
Now, back to the NHL

Dorion has his expectations of what he should get in a Karlsson trade, but he has no leverage because everyone knows the predicament he is in. He has tried to include the albatross Bobby Ryan contract in a trade to no avail.

the stench in Ottawa lingers as fans grapple with the idea of the best defenceman, if not the best player, in Senators history being traded...…..The similarity in all three scenarios is the lingering stench and, more importantly, the value of getting rid of it. How does that value compare to the value you get back in a trade? How much do you value jettisoning a problem and focusing on your post-problem world?

NHL arbitration begins Friday. Several teams have spent their money and those who haven’t will begin doing so shortly by signing their restricted free agents, thereby making a trade for Pacioretty more complicated.

The way to avoid that from happening is for Bergevin to lower his expectations in a Pacioretty trade in a similar way the Spurs did in trading Leonard. And it would be easy to do, considering the direction Bergevin is taking the Canadiens, one based on adding youth and building through the draft. Acquiring a first round pick and one or two prospects in return for Pacioretty at this point would be perfectly fine

Pacioretty’s depreciated trade value is a result of his own poor season, yes, but it is also a result of the constant trade rumours that have surrounded him for eight months and Bergevin making no effort whatsoever to hide what he hopes to do with him. It is a result of his decision to trade him with one season left on his contract, and not before, when history has shown players in that situation don’t fetch a significant return.

Reactions: Iceman

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The Sens should hold on to him while his value increases and a sale of the team is worked out. If the sale doesn't happen before the TDL, then put him on the market and watch teams go into a frenzy trying to add him/prevent rivals from adding him.
He'd have to be pretty f***ing good to increase his value. He has one year left and do you really think GM's will offer more as the season goes on? The team trading for him will get less and less of Karlsson as each day goes by. At the TDL he's just a rental, about as good of a rental as you could hope for, but still a rental. You're not going to get big pieces back for him anymore at that point.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He'd have to be pretty ****ing good to increase his value. He has one year left and do you really think GM's will offer more as the season goes on? The team trading for him will get less and less of Karlsson as each day goes by. At the TDL he's just a rental, about as good of a rental as you could hope for, but still a rental. You're not going to get big pieces back for him anymore at that point.
This just in...EK is pretty f***ing good at hockey.

He's a player that takes a team from contender to prohibitive favourite. How much would the Leafs give to keep him out of the Bolts line up and end their 50 year cup drought?

The current offers are a joke and the Sens will get more at the TDL.

Reactions: Brownies

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Because EK will immediately sign in Ottawa under the new ownership.
If new ownership is so imminent and Karlsson wants to stay in Ottawa so bad why not just extend now for 8 years and put all these rumors to rest?

I don't know, people laughed at Sakic when he took forever to trade Duchesne and it worked. If I'm Dorion I don't listen to these fools who say I have no leverage and wait for someone to compromise.

If only there was another Dorion in the league for Dorion to pull a Dorion on.

ottawa-senators-general-manager-pierre-dorion-holds-a-press.jpeg

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't know, people laughed at Sakic when he took forever to trade Duchesne and it worked. If I'm Dorion I don't listen to these fools who say I have no leverage and wait for someone to compromise.
Duchene had more than a year of term left. Karlsson does not. Sakic could afford to be patient because he had time. Dorion does not (he does in the sense that he doesn't have to trade him at all, but not if they want to move on and bring in pieces for him).

The two situations are not comparable, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because EK will immediately sign in Ottawa under the new ownership.
But don't you think that would take more time than you've got? Plus it seems to me like a new owner would not share your belief that Karlsson would be guaranteed to sign. Every part seems unlikely, and wishful thinking

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If new ownership is so imminent and Karlsson wants to stay in Ottawa so bad why not just extend now for 8 years and put all these rumors to rest?

If only there was another Dorion in the league for Dorion to pull a Dorion on.

ottawa-senators-general-manager-pierre-dorion-holds-a-press.jpeg

Maybe to lower the liabilities on the books? Give the new owner the chance to decide what he'd pay for Karlsson?

I think Dorion gets a bad rep on here. Dealing their 1st looks awful, but they were also East conf finalists the year before he made the deal. It's not a Kessel situation where everyone knows the team is a lottery team.

Anyways, I hope Ottawa gets a good haul if they do deal him. Anywhere but Tbay is my motto.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
This just in...EK is pretty ****ing good at hockey.

He's a player that takes a team from contender to prohibitive favourite. How much would the Leafs give to keep him out of the Bolts line up and end their 50 year cup drought?

And you know what the current offers are on the table for karlsson. Seems like your going with what people have proposed in these threads. Why would a team pay for more at the TDL then now doesn't make sense in the slightest.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Ottawa trades Karlsson to Tampa it better be with Sergachev and Point coming back in return. If that doesn't happen no deal.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This thread should be locked. We're in the 6th cycle of "it better be Sergachev and Point or no deal"

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
If Ottawa trades Karlsson to Tampa it better be with Sergachev and Point coming back in return. If that doesn't happen no deal.

Just a curious question here, why would tampa trade arguably there best prospects for potentially a year of Karlsson. Don't get me wrong Karlsson is one of the best dman in the league but to include them both is a big price to pay, something which Yzerman will not do.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
And you know what the current offers are on the table for karlsson. Seems like your going with what people have proposed in these threads. Why would a team pay for more at the TDL then now doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Sure it makes sense.

1) His cap hit will be easier to take on at the TDL than it is now thus increasing the amount of teams willing to trade for him (i.e. demand goes up)

2) Teams who currently don't think they are legit cup contenders may see at the TDL that they are comfortably in a playoff position and could contend for the cup and would be willing to trade for him (i.e. demand goes up)

3) A team could experience significant injuries to their blueline going into the playoffs and look for a replacement (i.e. demand goes up)

Teams trading for 1 year of Erik Karlsson are trading primarily for his playoff attendance, not his regular season play since those teams should already be confident in their playoff spot at this point if they are willing to trade significant assets for 1 year of Karlsson.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
That’s incredibly stupid logic. Like, I can’t even tell you how unspeakably stupid that is. The pick is gone. It’s done. Whatever happens with it from here on out with that pick has literally no effect on them unless they trade to get it back.

Technically, if they should have any sort of interest in where the pick goes, they should want it to be better, since the team who has it is out of their conference. But that’s hardly important enough for it to have any impact on their decision making.
I mean even insiders have alluded to Ottawa pushing to be competitive simply to save face in losing a high pick. It hasn't been mentioned as to keeping EK in that sense, but it has come up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Just a curious question here, why would tampa trade arguably there best prospects for potentially a year of Karlsson. Don't get me wrong Karlsson is one of the best dman in the league but to include them both is a big price to pay, something which Yzerman will not do.

They wouldnt. Ottawa has no leverage. I dont know why Ottawa fans are still asking for Point. There is zero chance we trade him. Zero. That may be the price for Karlsson but dont see SY doing it. If he was EK would already be a Bolt. No team has a Point to give or want to give for that matter.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
They wouldnt. Ottawa has no leverage. I dont know why Ottawa fans are still asking for Point. There is zero chance we trade him. Zero. That may be the price for Karlsson but dont see SY doing it.

I can understand if sergachev was included as part of a deal for a signed Karlsson, no way would pointbe included in the deal. If that was the asking price Yzerman would have said that he was out ages ago.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This just in...EK is pretty ****ing good at hockey.

He'd have to be pretty f***ing good by EK standards... Why would teams offer more at the deadline? EK for a full season is better than EK for 20 games plus the playoffs. If Yzerman is unwilling to give up Sergachev because he thinks Karlsson for one season is not worth him, why would he think Karlsson for less than that would be worth him? These GM's are not stupid, they are not going to make panic moves thinking "Oh boy we have to give up anything it takes to keep him away from Bolts". It's still just one season and even if Tampa were to add Karlsson, their chances of winning the Cup would probably be under 50%. No matter how good your team is, the Cup is not guaranteed, especially if you have that team for only one year, that's why no one is going to give up say Sergachev or Heiskanen for one freaking playoff run. It's more beneficial to have a good team for five years than a great team for one year.

Reactions: CupsOverCash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad