Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If Ottawa trades Karlsson to Tampa it better be with Sergachev and Point coming back in return. If that doesn't happen no deal.
So you think that one year of Erik Karlsson is worth a 30 goal scoring, 21 year old center who just finished top 10 in Selke voting in his second year in the league AND a 40 point rookie defenseman who didn't look out of place on one of the top teams in the league?

Sorry man. It's not even remotely realistic.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
SY would have said no and if they said no deal then, TB would be out. Havent seen anything indicating we are out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
SY would have said no and if they said no deal then, TB would be out. Havent seen anything indicating we are out.

We know the Senators allowed other teams to talk extension with Karlsson.

Seems like Karlsson isn't interested in extending long term right away and/or the other team doesn't want to give up the necessary assets to get arguably the best player in the NHL.

The longer this goes, the more likely it is he stays in Ottawa.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
But don't you think that would take more time than you've got? Plus it seems to me like a new owner would not share your belief that Karlsson would be guaranteed to sign. Every part seems unlikely, and wishful thinking
Alfie will be part of new ownership. He and EK are VERY close.

EK will sign if the team is sold before he hits UFA status.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We know the Senators allowed other teams to talk extension with Karlsson.

Seems like Karlsson isn't interested in extending long term right away and/or the other team doesn't want to give up the necessary assets to get arguably the best player in the NHL.

The longer this goes, the more likely it is he stays in Ottawa.

He may stay but I dont know how somebody comes to this conclusion. Did Menlyk sell or is Karlsson and Melnyk good now? Did I miss something?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He may stay but I dont know how somebody comes to this conclusion. Did Menlyk sell or is Karlsson and Melnyk good now? Did I miss something?

Nothing has changed.

But that Karlsson hasn't taken up the chance to committ to Tampa, one of the best teams in the League with very favourable tax laws and very rich ownership, tells me he isn't in a hurry to leave Ottawa.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sure it makes sense.

1) His cap hit will be easier to take on at the TDL than it is now thus increasing the amount of teams willing to trade for him (i.e. demand goes up)

2) Teams who currently don't think they are legit cup contenders may see at the TDL that they are comfortably in a playoff position and could contend for the cup and would be willing to trade for him (i.e. demand goes up)

3) A team could experience significant injuries to their blueline going into the playoffs and look for a replacement (i.e. demand goes up)

Teams trading for 1 year of Erik Karlsson are trading primarily for his playoff attendance, not his regular season play since those teams should already be confident in their playoff spot at this point if they are willing to trade significant assets for 1 year of Karlsson.
For point 1: The demand for EK is still limited to 10 teams Karlsson will accept a trade to. Just like now. Saving a little on his cap doesn't change anything on that front.

For point 2: If a team doesn't think they're a Cup contender suddenly finds themselves firmly in a playoff spot, why in the world would they trade "significant" assets on what could A) be one year of EK and B) be a one hit wonder on an overachieving team that isn't ready? Why not save the assets and shoot for EK for free in just a few months when he hits UFA?

For point 3: False. His demand will not go up. He still controls where he goes. His demand is among 10 teams he's willing to go to. Period. Injuries, etc don't alter his demand. A team that's all but confirmed a playoff spot isn't just going to spend off their roster in the middle of the season to replace a guy with EK. It's stepping forward while walking backwards.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
When I have trouble sleeping I think of this trade speculation

Where is the angry bickering, the ridiculous valuations where is the heart

Making Sakic look like a showman

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Nothing has changed.

But that Karlsson hasn't taken up the chance to committ to Tampa, one of the best teams in the League with very favourable tax laws and very rich ownership, tells me he isn't in a hurry to leave Ottawa.

How? He belongs to Ottawa right now. How can he commit to TB?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
For point 1: The demand for EK is still limited to 10 teams Karlsson will accept a trade to. Just like now. Saving a little on his cap doesn't change anything on that front.

For point 2: If a team doesn't think they're a Cup contender suddenly finds themselves firmly in a playoff spot, why in the world would they trade "significant" assets on what could A) be one year of EK and B) be a one hit wonder on an overachieving team that isn't ready? Why not save the assets and shoot for EK for free in just a few months when he hits UFA?

For point 3: False. His demand will not go up. He still controls where he goes. His demand is among 10 teams he's willing to go to. Period. Injuries, etc don't alter his demand. A team that's all but confirmed a playoff spot isn't just going to spend off their roster in the middle of the season to replace a guy with EK. It's stepping forward while walking backwards.
EK has a 10 team NO TRADE LIST. Most of those teams will not be in the running for the playoffs.

Teams that are contenders without EK become prohibitive favorites with EK.

GM's will pay a premium to put themselves into the latter category and keep their rivals out. If TB doesn't want to pay, I'm sure the Leafs will.

In the meantime, the on-going negotiations on the sale of the Sens continue and EK's preferred scenario of staying in Ottawa under new ownership is alive.

Both sides in the sale of the franchise have been using EK as leverage in the negotiations, which is why the leaks have been plentiful, but not accurate.

Reactions: Sureves

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Take a step back and reflect on everything you typed, and how you experience hockey as a fan.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
EK has a 10 team NO TRADE LIST. Most of those teams will not be in the running for the playoffs.

GM's will pay a premium to put themselves into the latter category and keep their rivals out. If TB doesn't want to pay, I'm sure the Leafs will.

In the meantime, the on-going negotiations on the sale of the Sens continue and EK's preferred scenario of staying in Ottawa under new ownership is alive.

Both sides in the sale of the franchise have been using EK as leverage in the negotiations, which is why the leaks have been plentiful, but not accurate.

Im sure the leafs wont, why pay a premium price for a few months of Karlsson, may stop us from winning a cup for one year, but then sets them back from winning the cup for a few years with the assets they would have to give up.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005

I like how you are talking in specific absolutes and as it has already been pointed out the basis of your argument is WRONG.

Karlsson has a 10 team NO TRADE clause. That means that the majority of the playoff and bubble teams can trade for Karlsson at the deadline and he doesn't get a say at all. Demand absolutely goes up at the trade deadline for him. Does that equate to a better return? Who the heck knows but anyone arguing the demand for Karlsson goes down is completely off base.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Im sure the leafs wont, why pay a premium price for a few months of Karlsson, may stop us from winning a cup for one year, but then sets them back from winning the cup for a few years with the assets they would have to give up.
The Leafs are on a 50 year cup drought and have the most rabid fanbase in hockey.

They also have virtually unlimited funds and would be willing to gamble that EK vould be talked into an extension, especially if they win a cup.

They also would like to block EK from going to TB.

If you think Dubas and Yzerman can't be pulled into a bidding war, then you are kidding yourself.

Additionally, all other playoff teams would give up quality assets for a Cup run with EK.

When EK is the frontrunner for the Norris this season, teams will pay.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The Leafs are on a 50 year cup drought and have the most rabid fanbase in hockey.

They also have virtually unlimited funds and would be willing to gamble that EK vould be talked into an extension, especially if they win a cup.

They also would like to block EK from going to TB.

If you think Dubas and Yzerman can't be pulled into a bidding war, then you are kidding yourself.

Additionally, all other playoff teams would give up quality assets for a Cup run with EK.

When EK is the frontrunner for the Norris this season, teams will pay.

I think we could definitely beat the putrid packages that Tampa fans are floating. Foote and a late first for a signed EK?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think we could definitely beat the putrid packages that Tampa fans are floating. Foote and a late first for a signed EK?
Purposefully obtuse and you know it. I get that Toronto fans see TB as a hurdle now, but man your agenda in this thread is pretty bananas. More than a majority of the Tampa fans said the base of a deal would be Sergachev OR Foote for a signed Karlsson. Plenty of people would be more than willing to include Sergachev as the centerpiece if it were a signed Karlsson.

Stop acting like trolls speak for all fans.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I like how you are talking in specific absolutes and as it has already been pointed out the basis of your argument is WRONG.

Karlsson has a 10 team NO TRADE clause. That means that the majority of the playoff and bubble teams can trade for Karlsson at the deadline and he doesn't get a say at all. Demand absolutely goes up at the trade deadline for him. Does that equate to a better return? Who the heck knows but anyone arguing the demand for Karlsson goes down is completely off base.

Correct. My apologies. I read the contract on Cap Friendly incorrectly. Doesn't change that the fact that the demand doesn't go UP in any of those situations. Ottawa is still limited in where they can send him, and all the logic in the post still holds true. Contenders aren't dealing prime pieces off their roster, injuries or not. Bubble teams aren't dealing futures for a "what if" season, and saving on his cap hit at the TDL isn't going to return more pieces than he would now. It's just a bigger benefit to the team trading for him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Ya, it would be "interesting" if (IF) Toronto got into the mix for EK.

Question for Bolts fans - Given that numerous players sign contracts 1 minute after the free agency period opens, is it not possible that teams will find a way to figure out what it would take to sign Karlsson to his next contract? Would it be possible that Karlsson says he won't do anything now just to use this as another tool to steer himself to the destination and situation of his liking?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Or no team pays and he either walks on you guys or you take pennies on the dollar, neither the leafs or the lightning will jeopardize long term success. The leafs wouldn't blow up their pipeline to "block" the lightning when they have a good thing going for them and Karlsson isn't likely to resign there anyways.

Sens fans are being delusional, at the deadline the leafs won't pay a premium since they know he wouldn't resign with them and the Lightning won't offer the same package they would now let alone more like some are suggesting, they'd rather take their chance with him at UFA for free then give up quality assets for a guy they have a good chance of signing anyways.

The Lightning don't need Karlsson they'll take their chance with him at UFA for free if there's no trade now, if they don't sign him, no loss if they do then they didn't lose any assets.

Your only leverage is a full season of Karlsson at a good caphit, waiting till the deadline is a horribly bad idea, he could have a Norris like season it still wouldn't change the fact that he'd be a 3 month rental but hey this is the senators organization after all.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agree trade deadline is not always better. Especially if you are expecting a contender to deal off of their roster. That doesn't mean that they won't get a good return but if they think the value will be better at that time it depends on what is important to you. 1st round picks and secondary prospects is usually the ask for rentals at deadline. Think of what TB paid for McDonagh and you might even get less than that because McDonagh was still going to be on our team past last playoffs. The ask should be better as a year rental but probably not as much as people would like either. Conditions really need to be a part of whatever possible deal that Ottawa does. Even if they trade him before the season starts.

Also think that acquiring guys at the deadline is overrated too. You get what a few weeks of the guy to get a feel for your team and then playoffs start pretty quickly after the deadline. Mcdonagh was good for us but he will be better with more time on our team. I would pay more to get a deal done now than I would at the deadline. To win in the playoffs it takes more than one guy. Just adding Karlsson doesn't guarantee anything. In fact I still think a Boston or Toronto could still beat a TB team with Karlsson on it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Purposefully obtuse and you know it. I get that Toronto fans see TB as a hurdle now, but man your agenda in this thread is pretty bananas. More than a majority of the Tampa fans said the base of a deal would be Sergachev OR Foote for a signed Karlsson. Plenty of people would be more than willing to include Sergachev as the centerpiece if it were a signed Karlsson.

Stop acting like trolls speak for all fans.

Did you not just confirm what I said?

I am not speaking for anyone - should I go through the thread and post all the quotes of Foote+1st? Even Sergachev is still a huge bargain for the best defenceman of the last 6 years. If he forces his way onto the Lightening and forces a bad trade like that, Tampa will be huge, huge favourites.

It's not trolling, stop whining. Now you're just playing the victim.

Last edited:

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Don't know if anyone has asked this, but could Karlsson refuse to play for Ottawa for the last year of deal unless he's traded? Obviously he wouldn't get paid, but does the last year of his deal essentially carry over if he doesn't play past a certain date in the regular season? I know something like that happened to Drouin, but it might have had something to do with him being on an ELC at the time.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Don't know if anyone has asked this, but could Karlsson refuse to play for Ottawa for the last year of deal unless he's traded? Obviously he wouldn't get paid, but does the last year of his deal essentially carry over if he doesn't play past a certain date in the regular season? I know something like that happened to Drouin, but it might have had something to do with him being on an ELC at the time.

I think it happened to Yashin too. He tried to sit out, but he was in breach of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad