Value of: Erik Karlsson if he hits UFA

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Karlsson is going to resign with the Sharks.
d63.jpg

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Doesnt that mean they will have to bring in north of 750 million a year? Seems high

NHL currently makes $200M/year on their American deal. I can see it tripling.

My math may not be exact, as I think there are escrow calculations that effect the cap too, but $400M increase divided in half (50/50 players/owners) divided by 31 teams accounts for about $6.4M.

The game has completely changed since the NHL's last deal. You only had NBCSN and ESPN, and streaming was virtually nonexistent. Now you've got FS1 and CBSSports, plus the advent of streaming. Networks are starving for content and it's driven the price up.

It's why a company like WWE, whose viewership has been plummeting for nearly 20 years now, can get a five year, two BILLION dollar contract with Fox for one show a week.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
NHL currently makes $200M/year on their American deal. I can see it tripling.

My math may not be exact, as I think there are escrow calculations that effect the cap too, but $400M increase divided in half (50/50 players/owners) divided by 31 teams accounts for about $6.4M.

The game has completely changed since the NHL's last deal. You only had NBCSN and ESPN, and streaming was virtually nonexistent. Now you've got FS1 and CBSSports, plus the advent of streaming. Networks are starving for content and it's driven the price up.

It's why a company like WWE, whose viewership has been plummeting for nearly 20 years now, can get a five year, two BILLION dollar contract with Fox for one show a week.
there is 32 teams now but it will take 640 million extra to drive the cap up 10 million with a tv contrct

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If true, Pretty sure it would've happen by now.

Doug Wilson does this every year. He tells the team that they’ll discuss contracts after the play-offs as a means to motivate them. The same thing happened last year with Kane. It’s not really for the “stars”, but the role players. He does it every year.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I can see the Islanders making a pitch(and if we can somehow sign him we can then turn around and trade a defenseman for forward help)
No, NYI won't be on this. While we don't have a stereotypical #1 D, we have a great defensive unit with Aho, Dobson and Wilde coming in the next few years. They won't be adding a 12M$ defenseman when the top 6 needs addressing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I guess I should compile quote posts from certain Sharks fans that guaranteed to me that he would resign with them.

Nah, too lazy.

Should I bring up posts from Tampa fans who said they were definitely getting EK65?

Well, I wouldn’t, but this one told me to mark their words:

Mark my words, the Bolts will get Erik Karlsson, and Brayden's name will not be going the other way.

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
Should I bring up posts from Tampa fans who said they were definitely getting EK65?

Well, I wouldn’t, but this one told me to mark their words:
And this one is obsessed with me.

Let's do it again, shall we?

Mark my words, Karlsson isn't resigning with the Sharks.

Let's have fun again, Roosterboy. ;)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Alan Wake

Dec 14, 2017
You correctly guessed something that is entirely determined by random variance - lottery balls, to be exact - and you are using that as an endorsement of your foresight and predictive skills. Yikes.
Just goes to show I'm not always wrong, which you're desperate to try to prove. Yikes!

Don't worry, your shitty old team will be joining mine on the golf course soon. Sure hope you update your cute user title to reflect that we're both losers. No? Of course not. :laugh: Obsessed much.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just goes to show I'm not always wrong, which you're desperate to try to prove. Yikes!

Don't worry, your ****ty old team will be joining mine on the golf course soon. Sure hope you update your cute user title to reflect that we're both losers. No? Of course not. :laugh: Obsessed much.

You literally came into this thread to try and talked about how you wanted to bring up old quotes from Sharks fans who assured you that Karlsson would sign. I’m not desperate to prove anything, I just thought it would be good to remind you that you told us to “mark your words” with an incorrect prediction regarding Karlsson, so you’re not exactly in a position to pull up old posts regarding Karlsson and mock people for them. Especially not when Karlsson is literally still playing and hasn’t expressed interest in testing the UFA market at any point.

The rest is just childish and not worth responding to.

Reactions: RockyMTNShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad