Value of: Erik Karlsson if he hits UFA

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This isn't an 'if' question. Why would he re-sign with the Sharks?

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
If Karlsson doesn’t sign with San Jose, which seems possible considering they’d have to commit roughly 30% of the cap to 3 players on the backend, what do you think he gets offered as an UFA? Where do you predict he lands?
Rangers. Don't know $$$

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
This isn't an 'if' question. Why would he re-sign with the Sharks?
I guess I should compile quote posts from certain Sharks fans that guaranteed to me that he would resign with them.

Nah, too lazy.

I predict NYR for 7 years 11 million AAV.

As a Devils fan, I would go as high as 12 million AAV for EK65.
Devils would be filthy with EK and Hughes as your "free agent" acquisitions. At least, "on paper".

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit will have Nick Lidstrom sit next to him in his stall and feed him Swedish meatballs all year.

If he agrees to $10M x 7, we'll get him his own personal cook.

giphy.gif

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He is probably going to get 10-11,5m depending on where he goes. When healthy no defensemen in the NHL dominates like EK, he was fantastic in the reg season before he got injured again.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My guess would be $11M - $12M.

Teams that can afford him comfortably and have the need would be DET/NJD/NYR/VAN/BUF. CAR can afford him but is already pretty decently set up on defense. NYI and FLA have the cap space, but seem to be both all in on the tandem of Panarin/Bobrovsky.

My guess, if he wants to get paid and have a good chance at a Cup in the next five years, is Colorado.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Color
My guess would be $11M - $12M.

Teams that can afford him comfortably and have the need would be DET/NJD/NYR/VAN/BUF. CAR can afford him but is already pretty decently set up on defense. NYI and FLA have the cap space, but seem to be both all in on the tandem of Panarin/Bobrovsky.

My guess, if he wants to get paid and have a good chance at a Cup in the next five years, is Colorado.
Colorado appear set on the right with offensive D.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
When you have the cap space they have, too much of one thing is a nice problem to have. Push comes to shove, move Erik Johnson.

They still have to sign Miko which will end up being 9-10 million, Makar in 2 years (which we can’t predict the contract yet but he seems to be extremely promising), Landeskog in 2 years. They could still end up with EK, but they are going to have to hope he’ll sign closer to 10 million. Like you said, they trade Johnson or Barrie, it’s definetly feasible.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
"IF"? People still believe he's resigning in SJ? Get over it. Players of his status don't go this late into the season without a deal unless the player or the team have other plans. He will be a UFA.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They still have to sign Miko which will end up being 9-10 million, Makar in 2 years (which we can’t predict the contract yet but he seems to be extremely promising), Landeskog in 2 years. They could still end up with EK, but they are going to have to hope he’ll sign closer to 10 million. Like you said, they trade Johnson or Barrie, it’s definetly feasible.

Teams will be smart to lock in players now. Seattle expansion and a new TV contract will probably blow the cap up $8M - $10M just by themselves.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->