Value of: Erik Karlsson if he hits UFA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's threads like this that make me think Wild fans are crazy for even considering trading Spurgeon.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Can’t wait for him to leave. Dorion got DW and sold him broken down fools gold. We’d have been better off trading for Stone instead of EK65.

Burns >>>> Karlsson and this season proved it

I hope you don't mind me saying that DW can kiss several butts on behalf of Ottawa. Acquiring Hoffman and flipping him back into the division, trying to rip us off on the Karlsson trade, ripping us off on the Hoffman trade. Some of this is incompetence from Dorion, other is Karma.

Reactions: topshelf15

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I could see the Flyers throwing him an offer as well. But I don't think he signs there....probably for the better.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can see the Islanders making a pitch(and if we can somehow sign him we can then turn around and trade a defenseman for forward help)

Reactions: kingkang

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is one of the most valuable assets in the league for next season at 5.187 cap hit. Sadly he'll be getting a contract in the 8+ range afterwards.
I don't think so, but with the way inflated contracts are being handed out, you never know.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
We crap on them all the time and deservedly so, but Ottawa did the right thing by trading him. I thought so at the time but didn't want to say it. But he isn't the same the D any more. He is already breaking down. Still a #1 but I wouldn't give him 11x8.

If he leaves and SJ becomes a lottery team next year, man that trade starts to look real good.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the Oilers could somehow open up the cap space needed I'd go as high as 7 years x 11.65m.

He's not the same anymore but we desperately need a high end dman.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As a Flyer fan I thought I wanted him, but he looks horrendous out there and if its an injury, his durability has to be a major concern.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He's going to get 7 years, 11 million+ from whatever team he chooses.

I would kill to see him and Mcdavid play together but that won't happen for multiple reasons.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This is a bit of a flawed question because players don't always go with the highest AAV offer.

We've seen this both when Stamkos and Tavares hit free agency. Both were apparently offered 12-13 million over 7 years, both took less to sign with a preferred destination.

I think Karlsson will get 11 x 7 if he leaves San Jose. I could see some teams offering 13. Maybe a team gets creativity and offers max salary under a much shorter term.

If he stays with San Jose, I would expect something like 12.65 x 8 years. A competing team would have to offer almost 14.5 x 7 to match the total money offered.

The only place I could see him taking a discount might be Tampa. Taxes and the draw of being a super team. That would require Tampa to make a big move and either deal Kucherov before his NMC kicks in or trade Point. Neither make a whole lot of sense.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
11M x 8 years from MTL

MTL is a nice darkhorse.

If his wife calls the shots and if she hated being away from family, MTL would be a good location for them considering coming back to Ottawa under Melnyk is probably not an option. Even if Karl wanted to return they wouldn't give him a 7 year NMC, which would defeat the point choosing a team based on geography.

With his wealth and private travel via air planes, he could basically live in Ottawa and work in Montreal. They are very close geographically.

Reactions: Carl182

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I could see New Jersey making a pitch for EK. They have loads of cap space and they need a #1 defenseman.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Can’t wait for him to leave. Dorion got DW and sold him broken down fools gold. We’d have been better off trading for Stone instead of EK65.

Burns >>>> Karlsson and this season proved it

Not really a fair comparison. EK was injured most of the year, and had to adjust to a new team. He never really got going and hasn't looked himself all year.

That said - that's something any team has to consider when offering him a contract. Adjustment time and injuries that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad