Value of: Erik Karlsson if he hits UFA

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Tampa's in a tougher spot than people realize financially, I think, if they want to make a big splash.

Johnson - Stamkos - Gourde
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Joseph - Cirelli - Killorn

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson
Sergachev

Vasilevskiy
Domingue

That's a roster they could possibly ice. With Point at an incredibly friendly 8.5 million; Karlsson at just 9 million; both Callahan and Miller traded for zero cap in return; and a cap increase to 83 million (aka everything going Tampa's way). That team would have still have seven roster spots to fill out for just 3.4 million in remaining cap. And the season after Cirelli, Joseph, Cernak, Sergachev, and Vasilevskiy would all be RFAs.
Yup, plus Kuch's AAV jumps from $4.766M to $9.5M and Gourde from $1M to $5.17M next season......and what happens if Point gets O/S?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I predict NYR for 7 years 11 million AAV.

As a Devils fan, I would go as high as 12 million AAV for EK65.

No, we are not pushing for a wildcard spot next season, and with his injury history is not ideal with that amount of cap hit. :)

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He literally did that this season when he was healthy. I cant believe how many sens fans flip flop on players when they are hurt its wild. Its funny that you bring up Stone, correct me if im wrong but werent you one of the many fans that were all over him during the run in 2017 when he was hurt?

Craig Anderson who asked to be traded who stares down his d men every time he gets scored on? Its well documented that Anderson and his wife didnt approve of Melinda and there was wife drama so if there was any reason he was happy he was gone was that. If you are trying to suggest Anderson didnt want Karlsson on the ice over Borowiecki, Ceci, Harpur and the gang I am going to have to dissagree entirely.

If he literally dominated like that this season, why are so many Sharks fans seemingly okay with the idea of him walking this summer? You cant reconcile that statement with the fact that you still believe that this is the Erik Karlsson of years past. Its not Sens fans that are flip flopping, its Karlsson that has taken a step back from being the clear cut best dman in the league. And if he was, no one (sharks fans) would be okay with the idea of him leaving.

No, I was not hyper critical of Stone, you must have been thinking of someone else. And even if I was unhappy with his production and consistency in the playoffs, Stone has taken a huge step over the last 2 years as a player and person, and its more than fair to say that hes far more valuable today than he was 2 seasons ago. He and Karlsson have been trending in opposite directions. Sorry if that upsets you.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
As a Devils fan, my heart hopes that the Devils give him 7 years x $10.5-11 million. A potential power play lineup:

Hall-Hughes-Hischier
Palmieri-Karlsson

However, even if the Devils do everything right this off season, they are still 2 years or so of developing into a perennial contender. So that being said, my head tells me the Islanders are the most logical spot for him to sign. He wants to win now, understandably. The Islanders are young and look like they can win for the next 5-7 years. He will also be in the NY market which will provide him with a lot of extra opportunities to make money. The Devils can’t provide him with that opportunity realistically until he’s 30-31.

Reactions: Ori

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Teams will be smart to lock in players now. Seattle expansion and a new TV contract will probably blow the cap up $8M - $10M just by themselves.

Doesnt that mean they will have to bring in north of 750 million a year? Seems high

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes it`s certainly not Rangers, because it`s too early in the rebuild process/schedule for us - so hopefully we get another low draft pick in 2020. Anyway we dont know how our new prospects will perform in their first NHL season, but we are all excited! :nod:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
At the beginning of the season I would have given him a blank cheque.

The injuries are becoming worrisome.

I'd go high for low term, or lower for long term.

So like, 5x11 or 7x8

The thing about Karlsson is, he's so damn good, that even if he declines significantly, you're still left with an excellent 2nd pairing dman. And if he doesnt, then you're getting a top 5 dman in the league.

So even with the injuries, I would risk it and pay the man.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Honestly think this is the best spot for him. He and his family loved Ottawa and with Stone gone their is even more money to spend but it is necessarily the best move for Ottawa and Chabot.

It's funny because even if he wanted to come back, it would surprise me if Ottawa would give Karlsson a 7 year NMC.

Karlsson publicly stated that he felt that if he re-signed in Ottawa, he'd be traded.

A big reason a Stone contract apparently didn't get done was because the Senators weren't willing to commit to a NMC for the full 8 years.

Melnyk went on radio and said something to the effect of the guys they dealt would be too old to help them win when the rebuild got going.

A lot of it is speculative, but there's a pretty clear pattern.

It's why I think some of the posters saying MTL aren't that crazy. If Karlsson's wife values being in Ottawa to the point that it is a deciding factor in Karlsson's free agency, going to Montreal is the next best thing.

When someone makes 150 million USD pre-tax in their career like Karlsson probably will have made after his next contract, paying for private jets once or twice a week to travel from MTL to OTT and back is probably no different in terms of percentage of that athletes income than a normal person paying a few hundred a month for their car. In fact, as a percentage of income, it is probably a lot less. MTL to OTT is 40 minutes by plane.

There's no other NHL location located that conveniently close to Ottawa....other than Ottawa. Even New York would be an hour and a half by plane.

Reactions: phillipmike

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would rather overpay for 4 years or less than go 7. But I doubt karlsson would take that.

If we assume 7yrs × 11m = 77m as a likely offer from someone. It would probably take 15m × 4.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
He has looked bad enough in SJ that I wouldn't be upset to see him walk. Use those dollars for Duchene/skinner/nyquist or panarin and bob (if they can somehow dump jones)
Never mind walk....let him run if he can. That groin will go with him.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Please, Flyers. I want to see this next season:

Provorov-Karlsson
Sanheim-Gostisbehere
Myers-Gudas
Morin

Trade Hagg and bury MacDonald. With the maturation of Carter Hart and the young forwards, we would have a playoff team again. One that could be a legit Stanley Cup contender pretty quickly, assuming Karlsson remains relatively healthy.

Reactions: Devonator

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's funny because even if he wanted to come back, it would surprise me if Ottawa would give Karlsson a 7 year NMC.

Karlsson publicly stated that he felt that if he re-signed in Ottawa, he'd be traded.

A big reason a Stone contract apparently didn't get done was because the Senators weren't willing to commit to a NMC for the full 8 years.

Melnyk went on radio and said something to the effect of the guys they dealt would be too old to help them win when the rebuild got going.

A lot of it is speculative, but there's a pretty clear pattern.

It's why I think some of the posters saying MTL aren't that crazy. If Karlsson's wife values being in Ottawa to the point that it is a deciding factor in Karlsson's free agency, going to Montreal is the next best thing.

When someone makes 150 million USD pre-tax in their career like Karlsson probably will have made after his next contract, paying for private jets once or twice a week to travel from MTL to OTT and back is probably no different in terms of percentage of that athletes income than a normal person paying a few hundred a month for their car. In fact, as a percentage of income, it is probably a lot less. MTL to OTT is 40 minutes by plane.

There's no other NHL location located that conveniently close to Ottawa....other than Ottawa. Even New York would be an hour and a half by plane.

Toronto is just under an hour....

Reactions: teddygmr

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Quoting u when u laughed at my comment about he will go back to east coast for the wifey

This is incredibly stupid to do right now when we don’t even know what he’s going to do. His team literally hasn’t even been eliminated yet. If the team does make him a sizeable offer and he does leave, go ahead and bring up old quotes all you want but it looks pretty bad when you do it now.

Reactions: Curufinwe

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Toronto is just under an hour....

Sure, but they would have trouble paying him 11-13 million. Montreal could do that pretty easily.

With Nathan Horton's LTIR, Toronto has about 12 million worth of cap space. Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson all need contracts. Even if they move Nylander for futures or ELC talent, that only would bring them up to 19 million.

Marner is getting the Matthews contract at minimum unless they do something more creative and go 3 years for a little bit less. At that point, even if they move Nylander, TOR would have around 7 million between Kapanen, Johnsson, and a few roster spots.

No room for Karlsson unless they move on from Marner or Matthews as a way to facilitate signing him.

I'm aware your post wasn't really a serious Karl could sign in TOR remark, but I guess it's fun to break down teams cap situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad