Value of: Erik Karlsson if he hits UFA

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Not really a fair comparison. EK was injured most of the year, and had to adjust to a new team. He never really got going and hasn't looked himself all year.

That said - that's something any team has to consider when offering him a contract. Adjustment time and injuries that is.

Part of being effective is staying healthy. Plus the whole adjustment thing goes out the window when you have Stone going super saiyan with Vegas in way less time.

EK was a bad trade. We would’ve been better off trading for Stone last off-season.

Barzallelujah

Dec 27, 2006
The further the Isles go into the playoffs could really help their chances. They would be insanely scary on D if he were to sign.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
agreed. Tampa now recognizes that behind Hedman and Stralman it's all scrap heaps.
Tampa is going all in on one of Karlsson or Doughty.

Let Stralman walk (to save the money). Maybe explore a trade for Callahan if it's possible (one year left so much easier than in previous years) or Miller.

There's definitely going to be some movement in TB, and it isn't going to be Cooper.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Let Stralman walk (to save the money). Maybe explore a trade for Callahan if it's possible (one year left so much easier than in previous years) or Miller.

There's definitely going to be some movement in TB, and it isn't going to be Cooper.
Doughty already signed his extension.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Has his stock dropped after the year he has had? Did Ottawa actually make a good decision by trading him last offseason?

Reactions: north49er

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Has his stock dropped after the year he has had? Did Ottawa actually make a good decision by trading him last offseason?

Doubt you can ever call trading a #1 all world Dman a "good decision". But truthfully, as a Sens fan Im much, much, much more upset at us losing Stone rather than Karlsson.

Karlsson was showing clear cut signs of slowing down long before Ottawa traded him. And while I dont doubt that he will always be a point producing machine from the blue line, Im very curious to see if the team he lands on will eventually have a case of buyers remorse after a few years into the contract. It wouldnt surprise me at all tbh.

The inherent problem with Karlsson right now in my own eyes is that a 11+ million/year dman should be dominating in all areas of the ice, and I dont think that Erik does that anymore. At least not to the same level that he used to, which is where his giant price tag will be drawing from.

To get the most out of today's Karlsson he needs to be heavily insulated by another very solid dman and some elite goaltending - this is mandatory to get his defensive game up to the level that you are comfortable with him going up against teams #1 lines. His team will bleed goals against without those two boxes being checked off.

But to me, I think that ideally your 11 million dollar dman should be the one insulating the other dmen that he's playing with, and he should be someone who makes life easier on their goalie. Maybe it was for personal reasons, but I dont think anyone on the Sens could hide their excitement any worse than Craig Anderson did when the news came out that Karlsson was traded.

In summary, Karlsson will get his money and term from someone and be fully deserving of it. But as of today, Im not entirely depressed anymore that it wont be the Sens that hes playing for these next 8 years, and it was probably the right time for both parties to move on.

Last edited:

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
He has looked bad enough in SJ that I wouldn't be upset to see him walk. Use those dollars for Duchene/skinner/nyquist or panarin and bob (if they can somehow dump jones)

Reactions: north49er

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Part of being effective is staying healthy. Plus the whole adjustment thing goes out the window when you have Stone going super saiyan with Vegas in way less time.

EK was a bad trade. We would’ve been better off trading for Stone last off-season.
Having Burns already there made this a bad fit ,I thought it was weird they even went after him,as they really didnt need a RH PMD...They needed a top end center far more IMHO

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They tried getting one, Tavares chose the Leafs.
I understand this,but their solution was getting EK??I know the price they paid for him at the time isnt viewed as much but they did give up some pieces they could have used in a better way no??

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can’t wait for him to leave. Dorion got DW and sold him broken down fools gold. We’d have been better off trading for Stone instead of EK65.

Burns >>>> Karlsson and this season proved it

Lol you gave a pile or garbage to the sens for him. If you think a season full of injuries is proving that Burns is better you should just go keep cheering for G state and walk away from hockey.

For the ones saying Colorado.. Colorado will pass. Colorado needs 2nd line forwards more than broken down RH offensive Dman

You surely cant be describing Karlsson. Or you have never watched him. He is so much more than an 'offensive d man'. This board is hiliarious, filled with people that have never played a sport at a high enough level to even understand an injury.

I still believe there are only two places he ends up San Jose or New York.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Is that really possible...? With an 82 million cap next season the Bolts will just have 8.8 million in cap space with a 16 man roster. Point alone will probably take up more than 8.8 million, but even if he signs a Stamkos-friendly deal at 8.5 million the Bolts will be left with zero cap space and a 17 man roster. Now, even if you literally dumped both Callahan and Miller with zero cap coming back, they'll have just 11.5 million in cap space (with Point signed at 8.5 million) with a 15 man roster. With that 11.5 million they'd have to sign four forwards and three defensmen, which is an average of just 1.4 million per player.

How does a Tampa roster look to you with Karlsson potentially added...? If Karlsson signs for a friendly 9 million to the roster I suggested above, then the Bolts are left with 2.5 million in cap for 4 forwards and 2 defensmen. At minimum another one of Palat / Johnson / Killorn / Gourde would have to be traded off for zero cap space coming back as well...just to leave the Bolts with between 7-8 million in space to sign 5 forwards and 2 defensmen.

I honestly just don't see how it's all that possible without gutting the roster elsewhere. Would be genuinely curious to see a capfriendly roster where it all works out.

Reactions: Alan Wake

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doubt you can ever call trading a #1 all world Dman a "good decision". But truthfully, as a Sens fan Im much, much, much more upset at us losing Stone rather than Karlsson.

Karlsson was showing clear cut signs of slowing down long before Ottawa traded him. And while I dont doubt that he will always be a point producing machine from the blue line, Im very curious to see if the team he lands on will eventually have a case of buyers remorse after a few years into the contract. It wouldnt surprise me at all tbh.

The inherent problem with Karlsson right now in my own eyes is that a 11+ million/year dman should be dominating in all areas of the ice, and I dont think that Erik does that anymore. At least not to the same level that he used to, which is where his giant price tag will be drawing from.

To get the most out of today's Karlsson he needs to be heavily insulated by another very solid dman and some elite goaltending - this is mandatory to get his defensive game up to the level that you are comfortable with him going up against teams #1 lines. His team will bleed goals against without those two boxes being checked off.

But to me, I think that ideally your 11 million dollar dman should be the one insulating the other dmen that he's playing with, and he should be someone who makes life easier on their goalie. Maybe it was for personal reasons, but I dont think anyone on the Sens could hide their excitement any worse than Craig Anderson did when the news came out that Karlsson was traded.

In summary, Karlsson will get his money and term from someone and be fully deserving of it. But as of today, Im not entirely depressed anymore that it wont be the Sens that hes playing for these next 8 years, and it was probably the right time for both parties to move on.

He literally did that this season when he was healthy. I cant believe how many sens fans flip flop on players when they are hurt its wild. Its funny that you bring up Stone, correct me if im wrong but werent you one of the many fans that were all over him during the run in 2017 when he was hurt?

Craig Anderson who asked to be traded who stares down his d men every time he gets scored on? Its well documented that Anderson and his wife didnt approve of Melinda and there was wife drama so if there was any reason he was happy he was gone was that. If you are trying to suggest Anderson didnt want Karlsson on the ice over Borowiecki, Ceci, Harpur and the gang I am going to have to dissagree entirely.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Is that really possible...? With an 82 million cap next season the Bolts will just have 8.8 million in cap space with a 16 man roster. Point alone will probably take up more than 8.8 million, but even if he signs a Stamkos-friendly deal at 8.5 million the Bolts will be left with zero cap space and a 17 man roster. Now, even if you literally dumped both Callahan and Miller with zero cap coming back, they'll have just 11.5 million in cap space with a 15 man roster. With that 11.5 million they'd have to sign four forwards and three defensmen.

How does a Tampa roster look to you with Karlsson potentially added...?
TBH their defense,is likely better that it showed this series...Me I would look to add some quick forechecking players ,up front... That can give a bit more grind...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This is a bit of a flawed question because players don't always go with the highest AAV offer.

We've seen this both when Stamkos and Tavares hit free agency. Both were apparently offered 12-13 million over 7 years, both took less to sign with a preferred destination.

I think Karlsson will get 11 x 7 if he leaves San Jose. I could see some teams offering 13. Maybe a team gets creativity and offers max salary under a much shorter term.

If he stays with San Jose, I would expect something like 12.65 x 8 years. A competing team would have to offer almost 14.5 x 7 to match the total money offered.

The only place I could see him taking a discount might be Tampa. Taxes and the draw of being a super team. That would require Tampa to make a big move and either deal Kucherov before his NMC kicks in or trade Point. Neither make a whole lot of sense.

Tampa is loaded with guys making 5 - 6 million per

They could trade a couple of them for cap space before moving either Point or Kucherov

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
He is probably going to get 10-11,5m depending on where he goes. When healthy no defensemen in the NHL dominates like EK, he was fantastic in the reg season before he got injured again.
Thats the problem. I have a bad feeling Canucks might make a big push for him but I am wondering if age and injuries are really going to catch up to him quickly now.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tampa is loaded with guys making 5 - 6 million per

They could trade a couple of them for cap space before moving either Point or Kucherov

No they can't.

Almost all those guys have full NTCs or NMCs.

Miller, Gourde, Callahan. Those are their non-star options. Gourde might have a NTC right now too.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Tampa's in a tougher spot than people realize financially, I think, if they want to make a big splash.

Johnson - Stamkos - Gourde
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Joseph - Cirelli - Killorn

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson
Sergachev

Vasilevskiy
Domingue

That's a roster they could possibly ice. With Point at an incredibly friendly 8.5 million; Karlsson at just 9 million; both Callahan and Miller traded for zero cap in return; and a cap increase to 83 million (aka everything going Tampa's way). That team would have still have seven roster spots to fill out for just 3.4 million in remaining cap. And the season after Cirelli, Joseph, Cernak, Sergachev, and Vasilevskiy would all be RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad