Erik Karlsson has been on the ice for 11/13 goals against so far this series.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
and someone will still pay him $10MM next year. I pity that GM. I will still take Gio any day of the week.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This was exactly how he looked last year and three years ago. Dis interested in D, disengaged on D, clueless. As an Ottawa fan I felt he was far and away the worst defensive D man in the league. He was injured then and it showed of course. I was actually glad he did not take Ottawa's offer (if it was 11M as advertised).

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
This was exactly how he looked last year and three years ago. Dis interested in D, disengaged on D, clueless. As an Ottawa fan I felt he was far and away the worst defensive D man in the league. He was injured then and it showed of course. I was actually glad he did not take Ottawa's offer (if it was 11M as advertised).
Thats nice considering you just finished last in league without karlsson.

Reactions: Slimmy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Clearly injured and overused. Anyone who says anything else just has an agenda.

Lol or he is just playng bad. I have seen him do it many times. Im sure he will play great again and then crap the bed again his great play shows up more then his crappy play, but when EK is off his game oooof it's bad

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I haven't watched the series but I see he also leads the Sharks in points, so he can't have been all bad.

If he's playing injured they should rest him though, better to increase your chances if you do get past this series than to win this one and then lose him for the rest of the playoffs.

Reactions: Slimmy and Kegsey

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I haven't watched the series but I see he also leads the Sharks in points, so he can't have been all bad.

If he's playing injured they should rest him though, better to increase your chances if you do get past this series than to win this one and then lose him for the rest of the playoffs.

Its the Karlsson hat trick , 1 goal 2 assists and a minus 3. Followed with everyone knows +- is worthless.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Thats nice considering you just finished last in league without karlsson.

And we finished second last the year before with him, and would have finished last if not for the 8 points in the first 5 games of the regular season we played without Karlsson. Without Hoffman and Karlsson, and losing the top 3 front line players at the trade deadline we still finished only 3 points off the previous years pace. It really is hard to argue that Karlsson was in any way was an asset to Ottawa last year overall. Offensively, he is a huge asset, IMHO the best offensive D man asset in the league, but his D really offset everything he did on O. The reason why the record with him was no better was really due to the number of goals scored when he was on the ice, and the vast majority were directly his fault.

Reactions: Skipee

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just bad luck with on ice save percentage for the 6th year in the last 7, I'm sure. So weird that goalies are just magically worse with him on the ice.

But snark aside he's also obviously injured, fluidity of his skating is noticably screwed when he has to turn like, at all. That's not good when arguably the best forechecking team in the league turns the pressure up.

The guy needs health in the worst way, it's admirable to soldier up like he has over the last couple of years, but someone's gotta shut him down when it gets bad.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Just bad luck with on ice save percentage for the 6th year in the last 7, I'm sure. So weird that goalies are just magically worse with him on the ice.

But snark aside he's also obviously injured, fluidity of his skating is noticably screwed when he has to turn like, at all. That's not good when arguably the best forechecking team in the league turns the pressure up.

The guy needs health in the worst way, it's admirable to soldier up like he has over the last couple of years, but someone's gotta shut him down when it gets bad.

He takes it easy in the summer and he didn't play much the last couple of months. He is in preseason mode and everyone else is flying. I also doubt he only hurt his defending muscles yet his offensive is as good or better then normal.
Hes sucking and fan boys wont admit it. If I were him I would start limping and make pain face every time I saw a camera, that next contract is going to go from blank check to within reason if he can't turn it around or blame the pain.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
It sucks that Simek got injured. That was a huge loss for the Sharks. A big physical dman. And now they are without Vlasic.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
He's getting smoked in footraces by people half as fast as him. Either he's injured or he's playing in snow shoes.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Yeah you can really tell who isn’t actually staying up and watching the late games here. Erik Karlsson is not the problem, when your goalie can’t make a save and you’re on the ice for half the game you are not going to have a fantastic stat line. He has created a ton of chances offensively for the sharks and multiple goals are a product of his breakout, entry, and playmaking.

It’s certainly possible that he’s hurt, but the thought that it’s his ankle that’s injured is stupid, he had a groin injury going into the playoffs.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon

posted this in the other thread but look at him cross over the wrong way and drift outside the dotline on Stones first goal last night...what on Earth. As soon as the puck goes back to the other side of the ice, he needs to sag and protect the middle.

he must be struggling with injury and quick twitch movements.

I disagree, they were playing man to man, Karlsson on his winger, his D partner had the right winger, and Couture was with Stone, but he just completely misplayed it.
You'll see that from a lot of forwards, they'll just take a gamble going straight for the intercept, or the "poke and go", but you need to be aware out there and realize you're the last forward back and that the Dmen are counting on you to play your man responsibly.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He does look hurt, but Karlsson sucking at defense is not a new thing, especially this year. He's been garbage in his own end. But he gets paid and gets his minutes not because of what he does away from the puck.

All these playoffs have done is shown me how undervalued Vlasic and Simek are. Those 2 are big losses.

Wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson and the Sharks have a big game 4 win tomorrow because of this jinx thread though.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Steven Stamkos plays like shit. Leading his team to get swept agains f***ing Columbus. Crosby is held pointless sucking it up agains NYI. But who does HF turn to rag on? An injured Karlsson who missed several months of play before being thrown into the playoffs. A Karlsson who actually leads his team in points as a f***ing defenceman! The NA bias is f***ing sickening.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
It's a crazy statistic, but Erik Karlsson has been on the ice for 11 out of the 13 goals that Vegas has scored, many of them when he has a direct involvement in the play. He looks completely disinterested, floating around and unwilling to sell out to block a shot. Many replays show him getting lost in no man's land and just completely oblivious to any plays that he can anticipate.

Karlsson and Burns have been the worst defensive duo this first round so far, but at least Burns is actively trying to defend whilst Karlsson is literally playing pylon in his own zone.
How many were Burns in on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad